“well taken care of”

Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
condotierri
“well taken care of”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Bellmen, front desk, and executive level staff were all outstanding. They took care of all our needs including having a wheelchair for my Mom during her entire stay. I was extremely happy with the hotel.
Note: we had three meals in the hotel restaurant. All were seafood, all were also outstanding. We experienced no issues whatsoever with any of the staff, nor did we believe that the prices were higher than any other hotel restaurant. Service was again, excellent.
Also note: It may be true that the skywalk does reach the main Mayo buildings, but I would suggest using the Hilton's car service for visits to Mayo. It's first come, first serve, but everything is five minutes away so that it is efficient.

Room Tip: The Executive level is well worth the few extra dollars for the meal service in the evening and morn...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear condotierri: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your wonderful comments about our hotel and Pescara. We appreciate it! We hope that when your travels bring you back to Rochester, you will again to stay with us! If you would need any help with a reservation or a request prior to your next available, please feel free to email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Deb Knox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was scheduled for major surgery the next morning at the Mayo clinic and just wanted a good quiet meal. I heard that the restaurant located at the hotel, Pescara, was a good place to go for seafood even though they are a bit on the pricey side. It is my understanding that the restaurant leases the space from Doubletree and does not own the restaurant. My wife and I were served a hideous meal there on 10/15/2012. My review of Pescara is on Tripadvisor. We were told by the restaurant manager who was on duty that the entire meal would be comped. They never asked for my name, where I was staying, or provided a bill.

The morning that we were checking out under our room door was our itemized billing for staying at the Doubletree. To my surprise the hotel added $56.83 for Pescara.

That morning, before checking out around 9:30AM, I went to the front desk to inquire about the charge and asked the clerk to please call me in the room when she found out how and why the charge was there. I was not feeling well and did not need any type of conflict when checking out. Instead I received no call and was greeted by a "pit bull dog" at the front desk that very loudly refused to discuss the situation and threatened to call the police. This is the
way treat a customer that just spent six nights at the Doubletree and it visible that he was ill. All I wanted was an explanation as to why I charged $56.83 by Pescara, since I was told that the meal was going to be comped. Instead I was being yelled at by a bully desk clerk that refused to discuss the issue. I needed to take a tranquilizer to calm my nerves.

Upon returning home I called Hilton’s guest relations to file a formal complaint against the Doubletree and asked who was the general manager of the hotel. I call Michael Smith, the GM, numerous times and he did not have the courtesy to return my calls. I also called
a Scott Foster whom I was told owns Pescara and he also did return my call.

When I sent the details of my checking out experience to Hilton, I also sent a copy to Deb Knox, who has the time to reply to almost all of the postings on Tripadvisor. She also declined to reply.

The corporate office at Hilton was very understanding and reimbursed me the $56.83 charge from Pescara and also reimbursed me for one night’s stay and upgraded my Hilton Honors status to gold.

The Doubletree is a very busy hotel, the rooms are nothing special and the bathrooms are quite small with only a shower.

When I was in Rochester a couple of weeks ago I stayed at the newly refurbished Holiday Inn...a bigger room, better bed and best of all 40% less expensive. They have a very friendly and helpful staff.

The management of Doubletree attempts to project the image of how friendly their employees are, that is, until a problem arises and then the staff goes ballistic.

Room Tip: Save your money and stay at the HOLIDAY INN.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank ugaworldtraveler
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear ugaworldtraveler: I am going to decline to respond to this post. Yes, we are aware of your stay.
North Olmsted, Ohio
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I got here rather late at night and was immediately won over the by efficient and friendly man behind the desk, who offered me a hot cookie.

The hotel is what you would expect a good 5 star to be. The room was nice, clean, well decorated, spacious. The bathroom was spotlessly clean. It has an unstocked fridge and a microwave, which I had not expected. Not that I used either.

It is connected by skywalk to Mayo clinic but finding your way back from Mayo Clinic is pretty difficult without getting directions.

1 Thank MeandererUK
Dear MeandererUK: Thank you very much for your kind post about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to you staying with us again should your travels bring you back to Rochester.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Beautiful & clean hotel, excellent staff, delicious on-site restaurant... would definitely stay here again!! Hotel is connected by skywalks to many other sites, including Mayo Clinic, nice restaurants, and many other locations, so you never even have to go outside! Would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear katieo3415: Thank you very much for posting such wonderful comments about our hotel. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you will stay with us again! If there is anything further that we can do to help with your stays in Rochester, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great experience. Very nice atmosphere, incredibly comfortable beds, and easy interior access to skywalk connecting to a nice mall with eateries, University of Minnesota - Rochester, and Mayo clinic. I'd definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear BenJ: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend our hotel to other guests coming to the Rochester area. Thank you again!
NJ
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Enjoyed 3 n at the DT while speaking at a conference scheduled there. Great hotel staff and the conference staff (IT and Services) were efficient and friendly! Enjoyed the walkways to mall across the street, convenient and warm, not needing a coat. Only one suggestion for room for improvement, and I make the same comment at every DT hotel....plastic cups/glasses in the bathroom, otherwise guests are bringing glasses in to rinse and brush teeth, not a good idea. Otherwise, even my room on the street side was quiet, the bed was very restful and again, the staff are great ! Would stay again if back in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Ginnynj4133: Thank you very much for your post about our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. About the glasses, I will check to see if that is a Hilton standard and if we are allowed to review your request and impliment. Thank you for the suggestion. We hope that we will continue to be your hotel of choice when visiting Rochester.
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is a very good hotel especially for anyone who is visiting Mayo. Excellent staff. Easy access to covered parking garage. Rooms are very comfortable but the side facing the street can be a little noisy. Only complaint is the older style heating/air conditioning system which takes some effort to get the right temperature in the room and is loud when it turns on. Location, with covered access to restaurants and mall facilities as well as Mayo, is probably worth the cost for the room and parking.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms face the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear jpirate: Thank you again for posting a second review about our hotel. We are happy to hear that you chose us again for your time in Rochester. I have passed along your note about the heating units to our Chief Engineer. Thank you for letting us know. If there is anything further that you would like to discuss about them, just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you again!