“It could have been better for the price paid.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
El Paso, Texas
“It could have been better for the price paid.”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The room was excellent and confortable. The only problem was a departure that they did not acknowledge me at all, and I gave them a chance until another guest came in and was waited on right away, ignoring me and my family. Bad for business, any business, specially for the amount paid which you expect is for a superb service and not receive it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear gamezdiego: First, thank you for your post. Second, I am very sorry to hear that the front desk did not give you a proper Thank You for staying with us. We appreciate you staying with us and hope that you will give us another chance to show that appreciation the next time your travels bring you to Rochester. If I can be of any help, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Deb Knox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Like most folks our reason for staying was to visit the Mayo Clinic. This was my first time in Rochester. My wife had been their previously. I had originally booked at the Kahler Inn & Suites. After reading several reviews and looking at Google maps, I changed it to the Doubletree. I'm glad we made the change, especially after seeing the lack of resources near the Kahler. From the Doubletree, the walk to the Mayo is very short, even if you use the skyways. Our hotel room( Standard King) was very clean but we did have one issue. We noticed a smell each time the cleaning ladies vacuumed our room. We could see dust building on the desk after they cleaned. We also noticed that our pillows started to smell like dust. I don't know if the vacuum bag was full or the vacuum was old but it was very noticeable. Both my wife and I started getting stuffed up. After finding out the Mayo needed us to extend our visit, we moved to a larger room(King Deluxe). We put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and never had the problem again. The new room was just as clean, minus the dust smell. We were so busy, I forgot to say anything to the desk.

Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and we had no problem extending our stay. I think it is great that they offer a discount to Mayo patients. After ten nights at the hotel, the bill gets expensive. We did enjoy an evening at Pescara's. The Halibut is very tasty. We also enjoyed several meals at their sister restaurant, Chester's, located across the street. We had both lunch and dinner on several occasions. There is a Starbuck's in the hotel but, they maintain short hours. We frequented the Starbucks in the Barns and Nobles more often. It is connected by the skywalk. For a good breakfast try Mac's located on the way to the Mayo. We ate there almost every morning.

The only recommendation I have would be concerning street noise. I am a very light sleeper. One reason for moving also had to do with the traffic noise. We were surprised at the volume of traffic late into the evening. On the weekend we could hear people yelling down on the street. Our 2nd room was located on the sixth floor on the north east side. The drop in noise was very significant and allowed for a much better nights rest. When visiting the Mayo the last thing you need is to be tired each morning. I think just about any room on the east side would cut down noise, if that is a problem for you. Outside of those minor issues, everything was great. We did use the washer/dryer one evening. They have one set located down by the pool in the basement. It definitely came in handy. The hotel is well managed and maintained. Everyone is very polite. Should we ever need to return, this will definitely be our choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1rare1
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear 1rare1: Thank you very much for your post about our hotel and also for trying the DoubleTree during this visit to Rochester and the Mayo Clinic. I have routed your post to our Executive Housekeeper, so that she may check on the dust; our Director of Front Desk Operations and Chief Engineer so that they may look into the noise on the west side; our Manager of Starbucks and also the General Manager of Pescara, who will also pass along your comments to the General Manager of Chester's.
I can't thank you enough for giving our hotel a try and I am very glad to hear that you will continue to stay with us in the future. When you make a future reservation, please make sure you have them note that you would prefer to be on the East side of the building. If you need any help with a future reservation, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
T
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The front desk and the other staff members could not have been more friendly and helpful. We arrived without a car and the hotel provided transportation to shops within a limited area at no charge. The rooms were clean and well tended. A variety of good restaurants are within a few minutes' walk. And, of course, the location is close to all of the Mayo facilities. The rates could be a tad lower, but for nice, clean rooms, the cost is acceptable.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the floor directly above the ballroom are quieter, especially when there is an evening...
Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear James V: Thank you so much for the great posting about our Hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. If your travels bring you back to Rochester, please let me know if I can be of any assistance with a reservation at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again at the DoubleTree by Hilton.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I visited on a business trip to the May Clinic with two staff members. At arrival we were given rooms on the executive floor (likely owing to my Hilton Honors status). This gave us access to free cocktails during happy hour and a free breakfast in the AM in the Executive lounge.We met some of our colleagues in the restaurant, Pescara and had a great meal. Rooms were spacious, internet was free. Bar was open to 11. Price was lower than another nearby hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear cyantist: Thank you very much for your post about our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you and your staff enjoyed your stay with us. If your travels bring you back to Rochester, we would love to be your lodging choice. Thank you again for staying with us!
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Although I'm sure people visit Rochester for reasons other than Mayo Clinic, I can't imagine what any of them would be. On our recent visit to Mayo, we stayed at the DoubleTree. And it was A+ in our book.

We aren't super snooty hotel goers. But we enjoy a nice, clean room and we don't mind to pay a few extra dollars for convenience. With that in mind, we really enjoyed our stay. The commendations were clean and updated. The hotel's proximity to 'The Clinic' was very helpful. It was shorter to walk back to the hotel via the skywalk, than to worry with a car.

We didn't dine at the hotel's restaurant, but we did enjoy some of their food on 'Thursdays on First'. It was tasty. It was also great having a Starbucks adjoining the hotel.

We've made three trips to Mayo now. At times, we've caught the hotel's rates in our budget and other times it has been a bit above our budget. But if the DoubleTree pleases your wallet, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Rob B: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed along your comments to our staff. If you should return to Rochester, we would welcome you to stay with us again. If I can be any assistance with a future reservation or just additional questions, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We used hilton points and stayed. So much for hilton honors. Room looked dirty,and even though non smoking could smell smoke. The work out room was a joke Broken equipment with kids using it as a playground. HAD TO BE 90 DEGREES IN THE WORK OUT ROOM.When I complained I got a oh well look. Too bad Cross this dump off hilton. not a quality anything

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nursiesheri
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear nursiesheri: Thank you for your loyalty as an Hhonors member and for your feedback about your stay back in May. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room. We try to be very vigilant in this area because we know how important it is for our guests. Based upon your review, I have alerted our General Manager, Director of Housekeeping and our Chief Engineer. We do have checks and balances within the hotel and I am sorry if we missed one during your stay. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you’ll reconsider staying with us again. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Charlotte
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Pretty picky... and not much to complain about here at all. Excellent stay, clean, comfortable beds, Starbucks on site, fitness room offers a bit more than usual - also very clean, pool area great... weird in the basement - but it works. We stayed to go to Mayo, the location was perfect for all the back in forth we had during the week. Down time offered easy access to excellent resturants, short drive to movies - even squeezed in some kayaking 5 minutes from the hotel. Will stay there upon return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wendrawoman
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Wendrawoman: Thank you very much for your post about our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will return if you should come to Rochester again. If there is anything I can help with prior to your return, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com.