“Preferred the HHONORS Floor” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area

DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Hudson Valley, NY
“Preferred the HHONORS Floor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed at the Doubletree Hotel in Rochester twice in 2011. Check-in was quick, and like all Doubletree’s I received my cookie at check-in. Both rooms were clean and in good working order, with what appeared to be new furniture. The rooms come with a refrigerator and microwave. On one stay I was on the HHONORS floor, while another time I was on the third floor. The rooms on the HHONORS floor I thought were a bit nicer. The shower was a very large walk-in shower with glass door on the HHONORS floor, versus the more typical tub-shower combination with shower curtain on the regular floor. In the HHONORS room they provided mouthwash and a couple of bottles of water in the refrigerator, whereas the regular room had neither of these. The bed was very comfortable. Both times my room faced the main street. While there isn’t that much traffic on the street, at least during the summer there are a lot of loud motorcycles and a few trucks, so although the windows are closed it can be a bit noisy.

The hotel is right downtown which makes it very convenient to restaurants and bars. Like apparently all downtown hotels though, they charge $12 per night for parking, which seems a little steep for a small Midwestern city. The hotel fitness center was very nice with all the usual aerobic equipment and some weight training equipment. It was open 24 hours and was clean and in good working order. The elevators needed to get to the basement level could be a bit annoying though. If on the way down someone gets off in the lobby and someone else gets on to go up, it cancels the basement request and you have to keep trying to catch another elevator.

I was generally happy with the hotel, and would likely stay there again, especially if I got a room on the HHONORS floor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Dear usroadman ~ Thank you for your posting. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your trips to the Rochester area. Yes, three of our floors are the Hilton Honors floors for our Hilton Honors members. Yes, they do come with a few more amenities. I am glad to hear that you found the other amenities in the hotel to your satisfaction. When you return to Rochester, please feel free to email me directly at ----- and I will make a note on your reservation noting your preference for the Honors floor. Thank you again.
Deb Knox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The good:
Spent 4 days for business travel Aug 2-5. Room was clean and well maintained. Bed-comfortable. AC-easily controlled. Hot water-always. Centrally located. Bell help-ususally available. *WIFI included at no extra charge*. Restaurant/food/drinks-did not experience. Front Desk: Good with directions and helpful.

Neutral: Requested King bed, recieved 2 queens with a shower no tub -view over the roof top and parking lot.I was told someone was staying longer thus was not available. I asked for a comperable room with a tub-they moved me right away. Sink was sloooowwww but not a big deal. Laundry: sent out pressing, before 8a- the order form stated it would be back by 5p. I returned to my room about 5:45p -the suit was not yet returned. I called and after a 3 min hold, the pressed suit was brought up promptly. Pool: in the basement, smallish, strong chlorine smell-not the set up for me-but there were families splashing around that seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The not so good:
Room keys: worked less than they worked. So I just stopped by the front desk to get my key rescanned (on 2 occasions) before I went upstairs so I would not have to wait for the key delivery (on 2 occasions) or trot back downstairs (on 2 occasions) from floor 7. Apparently this has been an ongoing issue since the hotel changed their 'key logo' for a few months. A neighbor was arriving with the bell attendant, but the new guest's key did not work. The bell attendant let the new guest into his room, and walked past me to tell me someone would be up with a new key for me. So I stood outside my room for a few minutes whe the belll attendant came back to let me in my room-he checked to make sure it was my room-which I respected. I hardly think the new logo caused this snafu, but perhaps if they changed key companies, makers whatever - dear GM of this hotel - PLEASE get that key issue under control.

Comments:
-I remember the Doubletree used to give out fresh cookies upon arrival in the past, but I did not receive nor did I witness others checking in receive cookies. This is not an issue, but on the critique card in the room-it asked about a the cookies?
-Shuttle company from the airport $11-12 one way,about 25min ride, pleasant, helpful, not hotel associated.

Room Tip: can't really help on this
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear beautismile: First, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Now, I would like to address them for you since you were so kind to let us know both positives and negatives.
1. Your requested bedtype ~ If you are comfortable with it, I will send you a TA message so that I could get your real name and then I can put a note in your HIlton profile that you prefer King beds, so that when you return, we will know that this is a strong perferance for you.
2. Laundry ~ This should have been delivered to your room. I will discuss it with our bell captain.
3. The room keys have been a challange for us. I received your stong message to our General Manager and he has been copied on the email of your posting, along with our Chief Engineer. I will make sure to follow up with them over the next few days to see what the resolution will be for the keys.
4. Yes, you and everyone else checking in should have received the warm DoubleTree cookie. I apologize for this. Again, I will message you with my resolution.
Again, we appreciate your feedback about your stay. It is the only way that we can continue to improve and also congratulate our staff. If you would like to discuss anything else, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
montevideo, uruguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

My son and daughter and me stayed for ten days at the Doubletree in Rochester, MN,
the rooms were very comfortable, the bathroom also, very clean, the staff was helpful.
The restaurant was chic and tasty, but expensive.

Would no doubt return if I need medical exams.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear liales ~ Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. We are very glad to hear that your stay went well. If you return to Rochester, we would love to have you stay with us again. If you need anything, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you!
IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I came to Rochester to visit the Mayo clinic with my daughter. The hotel was recommended by a friend who had stayed for the same reason. The entire staff was kind, helpful and professional. They made us feel right at home and provided everything we needed. We spent a little extra to stay on the executive level and had wonderful breakfasts, evening heavy snacks (most nights enough for our dinner!) and cookies before bed. The workout room and business center were great amenities and they don't charge for every little thing. I made copies, got a ride to the local shopping center and used the internet all for free. Most guests are here for serious health reasons but the Double Tree provided us a haven that felt like being at a close friends house. Come and stay and experience the peace and kindness here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear JansyJJ ~ Thank you very much for all of your kind comments about our hotel and staff. I have passed along your comments to our team members and our management staff. We are glad that we made your stay with us a comfortable one. Please visit us again when you return to Rochester. If you need anything, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you again!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I am sure this hotel is frequented primarily by people visiting the Mayo Clinic but we were in town for a family wedding and it was perfect. It had everything, location, clean comfortable facility, and a staff that was focused on the guests and their wishes and needs. Don't know if I will be back but wish I would have the opportunity to stay again. The attached restaurant, Pescara, was excellent for both dinner upon arrival and at tasty, reasonably priced breakfast buffet in the morning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear RichieD ~ Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while you were in town for your family's wedding. I just wanted to let you know that I have passed along your great comments. If you return to Rochester, I hope that you will stay with us again. Thank you.
Bronte Park, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Warm cookies upon checking in, wonderful buffet in evening and excellent breakfast for Honors members in the lounge, (actually the best I've experienced in the states), caring, warm staff, very considerate of Mayo patients, free transport to and fro Mayo Clinic, clean rooms.
They will agree to monthly contracts which dispense with the local and state taxes, in case you are being attended to at Mayo.
The room service is prompt, but the food is not good. Their anchor restaurant Pescara is, I assume, their room service provider. Several attempts at the restaurant and never improved over a months period. Don't bother. Tip: Chester's is a restaurant across the walk. Excellent meals. Unusual combos which work.

Room Tip: Executive Level rooms facing the mountains are more quiet and larger. It is worth the time to join t...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear tenplaces: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate the feedback, especially from a guest that stayed with us for an extended period of time. I am very glad to hear that you found our Executive Level and Hilton Honors program beneficial. For Pescara, who does our roomservice, I have passed along your comments to the General Manager of the Hotel and the General Manager of Pescara, so that they can talk about improvements to this area.
We hope that you will continue to choose the DoubleTree by Hilton when you return to Rochester. Thank you again for your feedback and if you would like to discuss any further, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

The last time I stayed at the hotel it was the Radisson. The hotel has been completely renovated and has that new feeling. The rooms are stylish and totally updated with the latest conveniences. There is a business center that is free to use. The Doubletree is only a two block walk away from the Mayo and is across the street from my favorite restaurant in Rochester; Michael's. The front desk personal were friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend as an upscale hotel to stay while in Rochester.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear ugaworldtraveler: Thank you very much for your posting. I am very glad to hear that you appreciated our $11 million renovation as we converted into a DoubleTree. Thank you again for staying with us, as you did when we were a Radisson. If you ever need anything, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com and we will help anyway that we can. Thank you again.