“Close to Mayo; basic place to stay and cheaper than surrounding hotels”

Days Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #49 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Boulder, Colorado
“Close to Mayo; basic place to stay and cheaper than surrounding hotels”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed here after my visit to Mayo lasted 2 days longer than I had planned and I wanted to economize, plus be close to the clinic for all my appts. I stayed the other 2 nights at the Hampton in, farther away and a very nice place to stay (quiet, very comfy beds, but $98/night). I stopped in w/o a reservation here and got the AAA rate of $65 which is very good for the area (AAA was cheaper than the Mayo rate). It is about 1-2 blocks from Mayo walking, and you can get to Mayo's sky or subway in 1 block in cold weather. It was freezing when I was there. The hotel is very old--I think 1920s—and not in a charming way. The room I got was dinky and dumpy--1 double bed, a little desk and a chair… that was about it in the room, but that was fine for me as I was basically there to sleep. It was fairly clean, though I found some old hotel keys and a maid's note left from another room in it (?). The beds were fine, bathroom clean but needs updating. Lighting was terrible in the bathroom. On the plus side, my room was quiet and bed comfortable enough. There was radiator heat and I couldn't find a way to control it so I don't think you can adjust the heat. It was windy and cold when I was there and the room was cool, but tolerable, but a corner room so I could hear the wind whooshing all night. They offered parking for $2 overnight; a good bargain and right by the hotel and they let me stay there past checkout since my appt went later than noon. The alarm clock was ancient and barely worked; thankfully they do wakeup calls. I walked by other rooms on my way out and the maids had the door open and they looked twice the size of mine. Overall I might stay here again, if I were solo and wanting to save money yet be right by the clinic and walking distance to restaurants and a bookstore. There is a restaurant on site but I didn’t eat there. Overall this hotel was totally fine. (I dont' really expect much from a Days Inn.) The location is good if you are visiting Mayo and other hotels nearby cost twice if not triple or quadruple the price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Carrie O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Days Inn Downtown Rochester one night because he had an early morning appointment at the Mayo Clinic.

This hotel just is what it is...an old hotel run by wonderful people who keep it clean. This is not a luxury hotel. However, the location is amazing if you have appointments at the Mayo Clinic.

The room we had was the smallest I've ever seen, but the lobby is very comfortable if you need a place to stretch out while sipping coffee and reading the morning newspaper. My husband is a night owl, so he read in the lobby when it was time for me to go to sleep, and I did the same the next morning.

The staff was the most friendly and helpful I've ever experienced. They were so polite during check in. About 10 minutes after we'd checked in, the front desk called to make sure everything was okay.

The room itself, besides being small, was...well...it looked really old. The piping in the bathroom shower was exposed and worn. However, the showers were hot and water pressure was great. The windows were dirty on the outside, but this is winter in Minnesota and so are my windows at home. A light bulb was burnt out and one of the blinds was stuck in the down position. The room temperature was very warm, but we opened a window a crack and that kept us comfortable. The bed was comfortable and I would have slept quite well except that the walls are very thin and the gentleman in the next room appeared to be having a tough night.

The elevator is small, but certainly big enough for the amount of people normally using it.

I think we will stay there again. The price and the location are excellent. The front door is literally across the street from Methodist Hospital where my husband will have surgery in a few weeks. However, while it is a clean hotel, it is far from luxury accommodations. It really depends on what your travel purpose is. When my husband has surgery, I will be spending very little time in the hotel and this place works great for me.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — small rooms.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lizann104
Arizona
Reviewed February 6, 2009

This is a "love it or hate it" kind of place. I would say we "liked" it because we realized what we were booking beforehand from reading reviews and also realized a hotel which has by far the least expensive rate in downtown Rochester (close to Mayo) would of course not be at the same level as the Marriott or similar places. First of all, this is an OLD high-rise building. If you go expecting a new, modern hotel, you will be disappointed. The lobby has been beautifully redone, though, and we spent a good deal of time there reading the complimentary newspapers and drinking complimentary coffee. The elevator is small (so what?) and we never once had to wait for it. The hallways are quite narrow and have painted exposed overhead pipes (like an older college dormitory). The rooms are also smaller than most hotel rooms of today and I think the room doors might be original. We were on the end so found the place very quiet but a pair of earplugs or a white noise sound machine (we take one everywhere and have had SO many vacations saved by it) might not be a bad idea. The rooms have been renovated in the past couple of years and have new carpet, drapes, beds, desks, and mirrors. We found the beds comfortable and the rooms VERY clean. The location is superb if you're going to Mayo. Half a block to the extensive subway and skylight system. Would we stay here again? Absolutely! You just have to know what you're getting!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC, NY
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I picked the Days Inn for it's proximity to the Mayo Clinic. Nice old building, little worn on the edges, but room was clean, bed comfortable, check in/out easy and fast, staff very friendly and helpful. One little challenge encountered was to get the radiator regulated so as to not roast at night, nor freeze in wintery MN temps. In all, good value for the modest cost.

• Liked — price to value ratio
  • Disliked — radiator heat hard to regulate
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
MINNEAPOLIS
Reviewed December 2, 2008

People like nag ,nag, nag.

The fact to the manner is: this Hotel was here long before the naggers on this sight, it has, therefore, stood here for nearly 100 years

This Hotel is Dog Friendly on the 5th Floor,
If you do not like People traveling with their Dogs, do not stay here fact, it says Dogs Welcome on the 5th floor.

This Hotel has been fixed up. yet it has an outdoor lot for $3 a day, it is fair cheeper the the Kahyler, across the Street, and their Parking is no longer free, and it takes for ever to check in and out, if you must live in the Pass that is the way we did things.
so what 50 cents for local calls, I could care less.
Extended Cable TV and Internet.
No, their was no Garbage Truck making noise at 5 am.
The Staff does an outstanding job keeping this Hotel clean.

I will contest anyone whom must nag, that if they nag about their rooms, then clean it themselves. they may get a free night.

Please be positive, I am trying to be positive,
I am not aiming my fingers at anyone at the same time.
I will stay here again and again.
and one did not have to stay here.
The Days INN is a chain, their is an owner.
Speak to the owner the next time.
I would, however, positive ways.

• Liked — EXTENDED CABLE TV, INTERNET, DOG FRIENDLY, DISCOUNT PARKING.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Upper Minnesota
Reviewed March 21, 2008

This hotel was built in 1919. There were no bathrooms in the rooms then, so each room has had a bathroom and small closet cut into it. You have to step up a step to enter the bathroom cause they had to run the pipes under the new sub floor. The St. Paul Hotel in St. Paul is built the same! I paid 60 a night plus tax. I was across the street from the building that a cousin was in getting a new kidney (well ok a used kidney). It was great. The staff was courteous, helped me get some late night food delivered, directed me around the city, and overall were very nice. But this ain't no high nosed joint, these are people working in a cheap priced hotel surrounded by rooms some of which can cost over 400 dollars a night. Give em a break. The parking lot is attached, and well lit, the room was as clean or cleaner than a lot of new chain joints I stay in regularly. The bed was NEW and comfortable with 4 (count em 4) pillows on a queen sized bed. The internet was fast and stable and the comfort food in their restaurant (although a little pricy) was tasty, served hot, and with a smile. So if you're the kind who wants your butt polished cause it makes you feel good to hold it over others...well move on down the road. You'll be happier, and those of us who enjoy this kind of a place will be happier too!

• Liked — Staff helped me over 3 days
  • Disliked — small small rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
North Carolina
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Sorry this is so long, but I think you will find that it has all the info you need to decide if this is the hotel for you or not. I have stayed here several times and will stay here again. Before I stayed here the first time I looked on-line and notice the "mixed" reviews. I think it is important to have the right expectations. It bothers me when people look for a hotel that is inexpensive and then write a bad review when the realized that they aren't at the Ritz. If your biggest worry is that you have to take an elevator to get ice, then pay an extra $100 a night and you can have it. As for me I'll save my $100 a night and take the elevator ride down a level to get my ice. And, yes the elevator is small. Why is this a problem for people? How big are you? I’m not exactly small, but I seemed to fit in the elevator fine with 2 other people and all of our luggage.

It is a historic building that has been made into hotel rooms, each with their own bathrooms. This means that some of the rooms may seem a tiny bit "jerry rigged" or "make shift". I think they are cute and remind me of hotels in Europe. It is not the standard cookie cutter rooms of other hotels. Another thing is that the doors on each room are original and they do not block out all of the noise from the hallway like newer hotels. You can sometimes also hear noise (plumbing) from other rooms.

All of this said, you just can not get a better deal in this area. It is right across from Methodist; from there you can use the subway to get to any Mayo building. The main Mayo building is just a block away. I tend to have long waits between appointments and as nice as the Mayo is, I get tired of sitting there. It's just a short block away and I'm in my room for a nap. The rooms are not luxurious but they are pleasant. Every room that I have stayed in has been small, but the bed and pillows were clean and comfortable and there was a nice sitting chair in the room. They have about 70 channels of cable. If you need more room to lounge the lobby is very comfortable. The bathrooms are always very clean. Many rooms have micros and fridge along with utensils, plates, glasses, etc. You do have too ask for a room with this amenity (you have to specify if you want this amenity and of course they cost a bit more). One time I did not have a fridge and they brought me a little mini fridge (the size of a six pack of soda). The staff is very nice. They are very helpful with trying to get people in early and don't mind if you hang around in the lobby after you check out. They also have plenty of parking right next to the hotel. There is a restaurant right in the lobby (mom and pop style food) and plenty of restaurants and shopping to walk to. The Italian restaurant across the street is great.

In conclusion :-) I just think you can not do better for the price. It is a safe and comfortable place to stay, but you may want to bring some earplugs!

• Liked — Walking distance to Mayo, Grocery, Resturants, Entertainment
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo