Days Inn Rochester Downtown
Broadway Plaza(Rochester)
  • Breakfast included
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
All reviewsfree parkingmethodist hospitalattached restaurantrooms are smallan older hotelbed was comfortablemayo visitsharonpannekoekenconvenienceminnesotapatientssubwayskyway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Everyone, listen to this. If you are coming to Rochester for a visit. Please stop and try the Days Inn down town. Ya I read the reviews that said this and said that. I came to the Hotel expecting the worse. Those people that complained, were just in a foul mood and wanted to ruin my weekend too. We found the front desk staff very nice, helpful and pleasant to deal with. If your going to come in to their Hotel in a "I'll get you attitude" I'd dump on you to. Our room was ready well before the 4pm check in so we moved in at 2. Unpacked and turned on the air conditioner, hey it works, it's a window unit. Someone on line complained about it being noisy, hmmm, it's not central air folks, it's a window unit, we slept all night just fine, nice and cool. The traffic outside was not that bad, there is a hospital across the street, sorry, you may hear a siren in the night. Get over it. The room was VERY clean, the lady that was up on the floor deserves a raise. There was nothing to complain about. I've stayed in Holiday Inn in Kansas City ,MO that were 100 times newer and the Holiday had roaches. Days Inn had NO bugs, extra pillows, coffee machine, refrigerator. The bath tub was big, big enough for me. And that's big. Wait until you ride the elevator, I call it 6 flags over Minnesota. When you come to the Days Inn, please remember the building was built in 1919, NOT 1999. The history, the bomb proof walls, the old wood work is a delight. Come and visit them with a open mind and they will be open and friendly too. We were a block away from Mayo, shopping and some great eating places. Their restaurant in the building has some great homemade muffins, a Pan-a-koo-kin, that's Danish for fattening. But great for breakfast. Off street parking, safe and well lit. So, listen to those people who complain if you wish, stay in a motel half way out of town at 200 a night. Or, bring your good mood and open heart to a grand old Hotel where you can enjoy the past and get a great ride on the Elevator. Ol' squeaky.... We will be back soon, just to visit a fun place. Thanks to all the people at Days Inn in Rochester, you made our weekend fun.. Dave and Clydene R.

Room Tip: Ask for the bigger rooms, with the KING bed, you can get lost in that thing....
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clydene R
Adam K, General Manager at Days Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dave & Clydene,
Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor. The staff and I really appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to say all those nice things about our property. I am so glad that our hotel was able to meet and exceed your expectations.
I hope you are able to stay with us again.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

this might do. But you'll get a very small room in a building that shows it's age at every turn, from the tiny, county-jail painted elevator to the dark hallways and the peeling paint and tub finish in the bath. (I skipped my morning shower and wouldn't have even thought about taking a bath.)

The window a/c unit had to be run continuously, even on a cool night, to dispel the heat generated by two bodies and a standard definition television (with a more than adequate channel selection).

The beds were firm, too much so for some, I suspect. The pillows definitely were too thick and too firm for a comfortable night's sleep. Street noise was negligible from the 3rd floor, with the exception of a few motorcyclists with more volume than brains and a woman's scream in the middle of the night. Wi-FI was adequate, with a number of routers to choose from and no password needed. (I would prefer, however, that one not be required to first select a router and then log-in online at Days Inn. It's cumbersome with a tablet/iPod/phone.)

It is only four blocks to the Civic Center, has free off-street parking (though the lot was small), and has a reasonable restaurant on the main floor. (My dinner of potato pancakes was OK; my breakfast not so much. The coffee was awful, the orange juice bitter.) Breakfast is not included.

All in all, I'll look elsewhere for my next night in Rochester.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Adam K, General Manager at Days Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

I would like to start by saying thank you for your stay at the Days Inn Downtown in Rochester, MN and thank you for reporting on our hotel on Trip Advisor. Our rooms with two twin beds are our most affordable rooms in the entire hotel. They are a great deal in downtown Rochester if you are looking for a clean and comfortable room. They may not be a big room, but they provide all you need to rest your head at night. Due to the buildings age there are many things that we like to consider nostalgic and charismatic rather than old fashioned. Many guests enjoy the comfortable feeling this older building gives them when they stay here. I appreciate the nice comments regarding our Wi-Fi. Many guests utilize the free internet on-site. The restaurant at our Hotel called Pannekoeken serves great food from 6am to 9pm every day. Many guests from our hotel love the comfort food this Dutch style restaurant serves. All hotel guests receive 10% off there meal when they eat at the restaurant. Once again thank you for your survey and I hope you are able to stay with us again.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We would like to thank Days Inn for their friendly hospitality. We are on a very limited income and were grateful to pay what we did compared to $130.00 a night at another motel on our previous visit to Mayo. { the air conditioner was loud in this room also}
The staff was all friendly and helpful when asked where different locations were. We even had a dead battery on our car and a gentleman on the staff jumped it for us at no charge stating ,"we help our customers as much as we can!" Wow customer service!

Yes, this is an old building, the bathrooms are small, the elevator is slow however the room was very clean and not being fancy people we were very comfortable. Thank you Days Inn! The Petersons

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darcy P
Adam K, General Manager at Days Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor. Reviews like these are what make the staff and me very proud to do what we do. I am so glad that the staff was able to impact you in a positive way while you were in Rochester. This community as a whole is always very willing to help anyone in need. It means a lot to our team for you to go out of your way and say nice things about what we do.
Kind regards,

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I heard and read about Days Inn having "NICE and FRIENDLY staff" and that was the most important thing for us to choose this hotel out from many similar ones near the MAYO Methodist building.

The morning of my husband's surgery, we thought we made a huge mistake to have chosen this place. We had to go through pretty stressful, non necessarily for this kind of time, to start the surgery day.
We will never recommend this Inn to anyone of my friends and decided to let people who is looking for a "comfort" place to stay know about our experience.

Also, I must say that the air conditioner in the room was too noisy to sleep well if you are looking for a good night sleep.

We were a little tight for the surgery appointment that morning. When I got to the front desk, the staff, Sharon, was working with a gentleman who seemed to have a discount problem with the hotel. After waiting for a while, I asked her nicely if I could get a parking slip quickly since we were worrying about getting late for the appointment.

I was very surprised that how cold/not flexible Sharon was to my "small/easy" request. All she said was,
"I am working with this man."
I explained to her that we were having a surgery appointment and we were worrying to be late. B.T.W., this "parking slip" I was asking is already stamped/ready to go at the front desk and only needs to be done by her was writing her initial and dates, which would have taken max of 3 sec.!
At this point, the gentleman who was checking in told her that it's OK for him to let me have a parking slip.
Sharon was not even looking at me and she completely refused to deal with me saying "I AM dealing with this man ! "

My husband suggested to just leave the hotel without the parking slip and I came back later between the appointments to take care of my parking situation....

The way Sharon treated me hurt me and we had to carry this disturbing feeling all morning. Mayo hospital folks are very nice and we felt how important to be treated "nice" at this kind of situation because you are much more "sensitive" with people communication when you go through crisis.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank justin l
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Guest,
I want to start by apologizing for the situation that took place during your stay at the Days Inn Downtown in Rochester, MN. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay wasn’t a pleasant one. I received the note that you left me and reviewed the incident that took place. Sharon does a very good job at the front desk and most guest comments regarding her hospitality are very positive. Knowing that we are all human I believe she may have had a moment in time where there were a number of people at the front desk and she was unable to help you at that very moment and may have come off a little stronger then she should have. As you know the front desk at a hotel can be very busy and it requires a lot of patients from everyone. The staff at Days Inn Downtown in Rochester, MN strives to make every guest experience a positive one. I wish yours would have turned out better.

Once again I apologize that your stay wasn’t a positive one and I assure you we will continue improve on our hospitality and customer experiences at the Days Inn.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Pros: Location, free parking, historic building, good staff and cheap

Cons: The first room we got (Room 209) stunk of mildew or "something" so bad we nearly gagged. From reading a review on here it seems this is not a new problem with that room. The bathroom was also so small a large person would have had a very hard time using it.

To their credit the manager moved us to a new room when we reported the smell and that room (214) was very nice. No smell and the bathroom was a little bigger. The smell from the other room was so bad though that our luggage and clothes smell of it even after only being in there 15 minutes. Sounds like a reoccurring problem that needs to be fixed.

To be fair this seems to be a nice hotel with one bad room (209). I would suggest they stop renting that room until that situation is resolved.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple