“Escorted a very good friend to the mayo clinic for a 2nd opinion”

Days Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #47 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Days Inn was a surprise- it was built in 1919- we enjoyed all the atmosphere of yesteryear.
the price was right- the beds comfortable (twins). it was a block from the clinic- I was able to use a wheel chair borrowed from the methodist hospital across the street the front desk was helpful- answered all my questions. Parking was on site. my friend was told good news-WOW

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We booked this hotel for 5 days as we were in town for the mayo clinic when we got there at midnight or so the doors were locked and we literally had to knock for 10 to 15 minutes before a lady came to open the door. This place IS OLDDDD so old that the elevator made you extremley nervous that the cables were gonna snap and send you plumiting to your asbestes filled death. Anyways when we got to our room it was not like a traditional hotel im talking old dirty carpet old wiggly knob with wooden door that was rotted so it let in light around the edges. Thats not the end oh no when we got in there the room was 85% so we looked for a thermostat and couldnot find one sure enough it has a window ac unit ok whatever i can deal with that so i go to turn it on and its broken so it had one setting Antartic Winter which was great for a bit but then when it doesnt regulate it self and turn off it gets freezing cold in there so we wake up in the morning and I jump in the shower and it is a old time TUB with like lion feet and grimey white tint to it. So the tempatres in there were either freezing cold or freaking hot so needless to say it was ridiculas but what put the icing on the cake is i looked up at the ceeling and there was MOLD yes thats right MOLD on the bathroom ceeling at that point i went down stairs and canceled the rest of our stay it was the worst excuse for a "hotel" i have ever seen. Steer Clear of this Place

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Most helpful staff I've encountered in a long time! Wife was in Mayo/Methodist Hospital (right across the street) for a week. I had to go to the car to get some papers one night and forgot the dome light on all night and drained the battery. I asked Sharon (mgr) who would be best to call in the area for jump start...thinking I would call someone. She got on her radio, called the very nice maintainence man and asked him to get jumper cables out of the trunk of her car. He pulled his own car around and jump started my car. No one would take any money for helping me. I can't say enough about how nice & helpful they all are. I will stay at the downtown Days Inn any time we are in Rochester MN.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank T1234567
Reviewed March 30, 2011

This place was convenient, that's why we chose it.... but the rooms were like a cracker box new york hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I got a 2 twin bedroom for $65+tax. When checking in I had asked if it was possible for a late check-out. The lady at the front desk had told me no problem, you can stay until usually about 1pm. It's a very old building with an old rustic apartment building feel, nothing like a hotel. Big wooden doors with the old key holes and 100 year old knobs. The size of the 2 twin bed room was literally 10ft by 10ft... Incredibly small. The room was 80 degrees so tried finding a thermostat, nope! Radiator heaters!! So, turn down the gas I suppose. I was creeped out from the start. So I go to check-out and I see my bill magically turned into $97!! I said why is it so expensive and I was told that I was charged for a late check out?! I had explained what the women I had checked in with had told me and she had said well, she was wrong. So I rightfully ask back, so she was wrong, and I'm being punished or charged for it? She goes well yes, she's new. I asked who I could talk to about fixing the matter because she told me she didn't have the authority to refund money and my card had already been swiped from the night before. I was told to expect a phone call from a women who would discuss the matter with me and nope, no phone call. For the $97 I had spent I could have stayed at a much more modern, much nicer room, with much better customer service anywhere here in Rochester. Terribly dissapointed and have had recent experiences with days inn's so I will not use the chain in the future.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I've stayed here twice to guide my parents through appointments at the Mayo Clinic. Only two blocks from the main entrance to the clinic and right across the street from the Methodist hospital, I thought it was definetely a good value. I was WRONG, when walking in you can tell its very run down and is in need of updates. The building reminds me of an old school house, with a raised floor for the bathrooms - stuck in the 1950's. We had a 2 room - 2 queen room, it was VERY odd. The amentities and furniture was surprisingly decent. Thank goodness for a window air conditioner, or it would have been a very HOT night, it had radiators in every room if that tells you anything. If I recall, they charge you a minimal fee for nightly parking. You get a discount at the restaurant next door, but it left a lot to be desired. The staff wasn't helpful at all, being literally right next to the Mayo campus, you would assume they would be familiar with the layout, that's a negative. I felt like I was putting the staff out to ask them where a building was, not to mention they had NO idea. Overall, with some updates it could be charming - as is, not so much!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SDTravelerGirl
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I visited my sister while she stayed here. This place is so cool!! It is really old fashioned and quaint. There are really nice, old architechtural features. It was quiet. I was told the beds were comfortable. Pretty old tile and tub in the bathroom. Very convenient location. Tall ceilings and plaster walls with no cracks! I will definitely stay here some time.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family