“I would recommend this Hotel...”

Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Sun City, Arizona
“I would recommend this Hotel...”
Reviewed April 28, 2006

We stayed at this hotel on April 10, due to the fact we were going to the Mayo Clinic. This was a great hotel. The shuttle service was wonderful. I still cannot believe how each driver we encounterd was so kind. They were so willing to help my husband on and off the shuttle, get a wheelchair for us and make sure we were comfortable. They were the best.

Our room was very nice, and the breakfast in the morning was very good, waffles made to order.

If anyone is going to Mayo, do not hesitate to use this hotel, you will be very happy you did. Use their shuttle service, they will even take you to restaurants, and shopping if you choose. You can park your car and not use it again until you leave.

Thanks Best Western...

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank Judygolfing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Parkland, Florida
Reviewed March 3, 2006

We recently stayed at the Best Western Soldiers Field for two weeks while my mom was being seen at the Mayo Clinic. We had a two bedroom suite on the first floor. After extensive research, this hotel was the best place for the money and the free shuttle service. The hotel staff was not the friendliest (they were often short although, the manager was very helpful), but the van drivers were great. We tipped every trip $1.00 each way and they were very appreciative. The room was clean and the full kitchen was perfect. The only complaint I had about the hotel was that the towels felt like sandpaper and smelled like bleach. The breakfast buffet was what you would expect (bagels, eggs,waffles)etc. I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for a comfortable, clean and reasonably priced room.

Phyllis
Fort Lauderdale, FL

4 Thank mommy3girls
Minnesota
Reviewed February 19, 2006

I can't say enough about the Soldier's Field Hotel! We have stayed there twice while my father had heart surgery at St. Mary's. The shuttle is just the best thing ever! On demand, just like they advertise. And always with a smile. We never waited more than five minutes either on our way out or home. We went out to eat and the hostess would call for our ride, and five minutes later there they were, with a smile! The rooms were nice, not luxurious, but great for the price. Very comfortable. And we changed our reservations several times, extending our stay, and that was never a problem and never necessitated a room switch. The front desk staff was always polite, professional and helpful. We have recommended this hotel to everone! The Mayo is the place of miracles, and this hotel is the icing on the cake!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank beachbabe57
Reviewed January 10, 2006

I was in Rochester for two days visiting the Mayo Clinic. I had selected the Best Western Soldiers Field because of past reviews and information obtained from their helpful website. I will say, that without exception, the entire staff at this hotel is the most helpful, accommodating, and friendly of any place I have ever stayed. No request is a problem and all services are provided by punctual and caring people. The staff is extraordinary.
The hotel itself is somewhat of a hodgepodge. There is a high rise hotel, with several older style motel buildings surrounding it. This is not the Hyatt or Four Seasons but rather a very clean and comfortable hotel at a very reasonable price within 5 minutes of the Mayo Clinic. I would recommend the high rise building over the others. The highrise rooms are very spacious and well equiped. I did not see the rooms in the outlying buildings. You can believe their website about transporation anywhere, anytime. The "shuttle" to Mayo runs almost constantly during the day and the trip takes no more than 5 minutes.
Breakfast is included in the rate and is about what you have come to expect with all included breakfasts. The restaurant serves other meals and they are satisfactory but not memorable. There is a small exercise room and a large indoor pool.
All in all, I believe this is one of the best values I have experienced in my years of travel. I cannot recommend this place more highly.

5 Thank rightboy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 24, 2005

I stayed at the Best Western Soldiers Field while visiting the Mayo Clinic. It was an excellent location, about a 20 minute walk to the Mayo...if you wanted to. The shuttles were excellent - they'd take you anywhere for no charge. They ran a constant loop to the Mayo. They would take you to local restaurants, malls, theatres and the airport. The hotel was clean and extremely quiet. There is an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna...great feature after a day of testing. The location is in a residential area 2 blocks from Soldiers Field. Soldiers Field not only contains a war memorial but hiking paths, a public swimming pool, baseball, football and a golf course. The area is moderately hilly -- made for some nice walks...very safe.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed August 10, 2005

Needing a place to stay after treatment at the Mayo Clinic, I decided on the Best Western Soldiers Field Tower and Suites because I had read it won an award for cleanliness and it offered a fabulous free shuttle that took you anywhere in the city you needed to go. I can vouch for the shuttle -- at least for the trip to the hotel from the Clinic, which was the only time I used it. The shuttle was on time and the driver was nice. The room though, certainly would not have won any cleanliness awards. I didn't notice the condition of the room that night, because I felt so awful from the treatment that all I could do was fall onto the bed and get some much needed rest. The next morning, I noticed that a family who had occupied the room prior to me left me a cute little plastic lizard between the bed and the nightstand, that a key card had been left by a prior occupant, and that the bath mat had a sticky pink stain on it (which I didn't discover until I had stepped on it). This is a large Best Western that does a lot of Mayo-related business, so maybe I just caught them on a bad day, but I will not likely return to this particular establishment.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank makalu
, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, October 15, 2005
Just last week we received Best Western International's award for Housekeeping Excellence for a perfect housekeeping score. Our guests are so important to us and we promise to continue to work very hard to meet and exceed guest's needs and expectations. Thanks.
Montreal
Reviewed April 17, 2005

I stayed at the Best Western Soldiers Field Tower and Suites on April 10 and 11th 2005. I was in Rochester because I had medical appointments at the Mayo Clinic.

I had an executive suite room with one king sized bed, couch/sofabed, lazyboy recliner and a desk.
The room was very clean and spacious. There is a complimentary hot buffet breakfast each morning which was very tasty.

The strong point of this hotel is that it offers complimentary shuttle bus service to not only the Mayo clinic complex but to almost anywhere in Rochester. The shuttle will take you to malls, movie theatres, restaurants and even roundtrip to the airport. There is no schedule to follow since the shuttles run on supply and demand. It's like having your own private taxi.

Although most Rochester hotels offer some form of shuttle service, this hotel is the only one I know of that offers this type of COMPLETE service.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Rochester.

****The reason why I am not giving this hotel 5 stars is because I have not seen the other room categories.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business