“nice room...bad service”

Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed September 17, 2004

The only staff member that i can say was pleasent and tried to have good PR was the restaurant manager.
The guy at the front desk, got rude when i asked what other types of rooms were available that evening (we were thinking of upgrading) Instead of just telling me which rooms, he got short and said "Well it's gonna cost you alot more!" Isn't that pretty obvious since we want a better room?
Then we put our "Do not disturb" sign out. Housekeeping came in anyways.....and threw away my homemade soap (which looks nothing like the hotel soap).
Then we had this nice "coupon" that we got because we saw the special on the internet. All it said was "$10 off restraunt" it didn't say anything about min orders etc. So we place our order, 10 min after we order the manager tells us that we need to order something more if we want to use our coupon. We were told that since my husband and i ordered the same thing the computer will not accept the coupon. The manager was very nice and understood why we felt that it was misleading. He gave us a free desert to be nice.
On a positive: the room was nice, the shuttle was handy.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled on business
1  Thank NationalGeographic1

Reviewed July 28, 2004

My son and I stayed 4 nights at the Soldiers Field Hotel in May 2004. Everything about our stay was just super. Our room was nice and clean. The shuttle service is the best, they'll take you anywhere in Rochester and then come back and pick you up. If and when we ever go back to the Mayo Clinic we will definitely stay at Soldiers Field Best Western again

dd

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dubuque, IA
Reviewed June 11, 2004

We came up the Rochester to visit the Mayo Clinic. We had to stay about a week. We arrived at the Best Western Soldiers Field to have a desk clerk tell us we had no reservations. Then after 15 minute search she went to check us in and told us loudly that our card declined. When she was just entering it in wrong. (Kind of embarrassing.) When we arrived to our room. There were towels in the bathroom from the previous guests. When we pulled back the made beds, there was trash between the blankets and sheets. This room was definitely not cleaned. When I told the desk clerk this, she asked if I wanted her to bring up clean sheets to change them myself. We checked out and went to another Best Western where the service was top-notch! Talk about one extreme to another! We will never stay at the Best Western Soldiers Field again, and have told our friends and family about this horrible experience.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2004

Recently my parents stayed for a week at the BW Soldiers Field Tower & Suites while they were seeing physicians at Mayo Clinic. I booked the room for them and found the reception staff very warm and knowledgeable. My mother requires oxygen and a wheelchair to travel and the staff at the hotel was very accomodating. She especially liked the fact that the hotel shuttle is on call and willing to take guests anywhere in Rochester, not just to Mayo Clinic. It was a quiet, very clean hotel with a friendly staff and decent restaurant.

6  Thank LAcentric
Reviewed November 25, 2003

My husband and I have stayed a total of 6 different weeks for Mayo clinic visits. We are in our 30's and were very satisfied with the location. They have the best shuttle service of any hotel in Rochester.
They will take you just about anywhere you need to go free of charge and the drivers are always friendly and helpful. We never had to wait more than 10 min. to go back or forth from the clinic or hospitals. The hotel doesn't appear that great from the outside but looks are decieving. The rooms have all been redone and are very comfortable.
They have tower rooms that are simply rooms in the main biulding. But the suites are very accomodating as they have kitchens, a bedroom and living room with wall pull out sofa. You may just have to walk a little ways for these rooms but they are also a little cheaper because of that. The restaurant on the property has good and very reasonably priced food with compl. cont. breakfast. The service is pretty slow but it really is a nice rest. for the money and convenience. I think they are currently a little understaffed at the front dest but besides that our stays are always very affordable and pleasant. I will be back in two weeks, this time on my own and I will have everything I need staying at this location.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2003

My son and I stayed at the Soldiers Field in June '03 for two weeks while we both had Clinic appointments. The price was very good and there are many amenities... restaurant, free breakfast, large pool, spa, fitness center, lounge, hair salon, etc.... But what makes it absolutely the best is the free shuttle. They don't just take you to Clinic buildings with limited hours like other hotels in town. They will drive you ANYWHERE you want to go in town, be it to a restaurant, shopping or whatever until 10 PM and pick you up again. The drivers are the best! Very friendly! This service alone makes it absolutely the best hotel hands down for people needing to stay for Clinic business. We had one of the suites just a few steps next to the tower. It was perfect for our extended stay. It had a full kitchen with a dishwasher and full size appliances, a separate bedroom and it was only $62/night. There is no other hotel in town with all the amenities at a comparable price. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is ok for lunch but I wouldn't recommend dinner there. Have the shuttle take you somewhere else! The breakfast in the morning is just fine and is free. I highly recommend the Soldiers Field, especially for longer stays, and I will stay there every time we go back to Rochester.

6  Thank ClareDuluth_MN
Reviewed June 4, 2002

We had a reservation and a guarentee for a room. Upon arriving the room we had reserved was not available and the room we were given did not have functioning temperature controls. We complained several times to the desk and were told that was all they could do. We drove from 7 hours away and had no other place to stay on short notice. They didn't even discount the room.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member