Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Rockford, Illinois
“Treated with TLC”
Reviewed February 1, 2009

The purpose of our trip was to go to the Mayo Clinic with a parent. This hotel is perfect and treats all of its guests with caring and respect. The most outstanding service of this hotel was its shuttle bus services. It operates continuously during the day and evening, mainly to the hospitals, but also to stores and even a movie theater 10 miles away. The drivers were courteous and friendly and went out of their way to help. They treated senior citizens with TLC and were very patient. We rented the two room suite because there were four of us and it was clean and comfortable. The free breakfast was more than average with some hot foods. The staff was FRIENDLY and HELPFUL and you felt like any problems you had they would like to help you solve. Anyone going to Mayo, THIS is the hotel you want to stay at.

• Liked — Their convenient shuttle service
  • Disliked — Not much, maybe improve the variety of the breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Patti-trvler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Shanghai, China
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I chose this hotel for our September visit to Mayo Clinic for a few reasons: it was getting good reviews on this site, its room rate was a fraction of what hotels adjacent to the Clinic's downtown campus were charging, no charge for parking, and complimentary shuttle services from early a.m. (earlier than other hotels I checked -- important if you have a 6:15 a.m. blood draw -- although we never ended up using the shuttle as the Clinic buildings are an easy walk from the hotel unless you have ambulatory concerns). It's not fancy, but it was clean and comfortable (we stayed in the main tower). I appreciated the room's refrigerator to keep our bottled juice and water. If anyone traveling here is a runner, the hotel is just down the street from Soldier's Field where there's a nice outdoor track.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shanghaisol
pismo beach, california
Reviewed October 27, 2008

There are elements of all the reviews that ring true; but we found this property a good value for what is charged. We paid $94/nite which includes bkfst. We had a suite with separate bedroom and a small kitchen and stayed 5 nites. The continental bkfst is pretty bad but edible for some. Having a kitchen is a great option and they will take you via shuttle to the grocery store to stock up on anything you need.

Staff is friendly, shuttle drivers extremely so. They will take you wherever you need and the service is quick and great if you fly in like us.

The rooms are a little aged but think of it like visiting your favorite modest aunt's home; clean, older furniture, comfortable and a value. We were here for Mayo Clinic and researched the options which seem either high end and pricey or low end and pricey. This was adequate for us and we did not want to spend over $100 if we could. If we ever come back to the clinic, we will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — two room suite with kitchen
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank asiacali
Grand Island, Nebraska
Reviewed October 15, 2008

This hotel was a big disappointment. From the reviews that I had read I thought it would be a great place to stay during our visit at Mayo. But it was evident from the moment we stepped into the lobby that it needed a lot of TLC. The furniture in the lobby is very dirty and should be replaced and updated. The hallway directly down from the front desk was full of approx. 10 empty laundry totes. The carpets in the lobby and hall were all very dirty, (something as simple as a carpet shampoo would do wonders.)
Our room smelled nasty and the recliner was broken.
I feel that attention to detail should be #1 in a motel of this price.

• Liked — location to Mayo Clinic
  • Disliked — Dirty condition
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelbug053
Heatland
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Stayed four nights and overall I was very pleased with the hotel. I likely will need to return before too long and plan to stay here again. Keep in mind when you read this review that I was here during mid-September, the weather was absolutely beautiful, and I am a reasonably healthy and fit person (unlike many people that stay here). The property consists of several buildings and I stayed in the main tower and can't speak for other buildings. Finally, I am a seasoned world traveller and have stayed in some very fine hotels, some very bad hotels, and about everything inbetween. I have stayed in hotels that cost several times as much that were not as good and I have stayed in hotels that cost half as much that were just as good. One must be careful in making simple comparisons with other hotels. However, I think that if you are looking for a decent hotel reasonably close to Mayo Clinic, this hotel is probably a pretty good choice and reasonable value for the dollar based on my experience.

The room was very clean and spacious; included a sofa, recliner, refrigerator, and micro wave. It appeared to have been renovated not too awful long ago. House keeping was first rate. In general, I was impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. I stayed on the 6th floor but like to use stairs. The stairs were not finished above 2nd floor (which is common) just bare concrete the rest of the way up. However, the stairs were absolutely spotless with no odors. This is a good test for a hotel. If they are going skimp on the cleaning, the upper level stairs are the first to suffer since few guests ever go there. One minor complaint about the room. The shower head was mounted at least 7 feet high (seriously). It had an adjustable massage head on it. I could reach it okay (I'm 6 foot tall) but anyone shorter than about 5-8 is going to have a problem. Even for me, the massage feature had little force being so far away. Best just to set the head to a regular shower and forget about massage. Another minor complaint is that the room was a little on the warm side. The heat was off and I verified that the heater was stone cold. I did not want to run the AC which is a through-the-wall window unit. I had the window open the whole time I was there and I would have thought that with the cool outside air, the room would have been a little cooler. Still not quite sure why it was warm. Was nice having an open window though.

The "continental breakfast plus" was typical of most hotels. The "plus" part was scrambled eggs, waffles, and sausage. Quite acceptable and convenient. Allowed those of us that like to start the day with a breakfast to get on our way quickly. It tended to be a little crowded at times. Generally, there was a spurt when it first opened at 6:00 and then slacked off until about 8:00. Pretty busy from then on until closing at 9:00. I did like that the had at least one staff person, and sometimes several, on duty in the breakfast room all the time it was open. Tables were cleared and cleaned immediately when someone was through eating. One morning some of the fruit in the fresh fruit bowl could have been fresher. Otherwise, all of the food seemed to be fine.

The hotel is located about 5 blocks from the main Mayo building. This proximity was important to me as I worked in my room between appointments. About a 10 minute brisk walk. I made the round trip several times most days, 4 times one day. Remember, I had great weather; may have thought it too far if it was in January. I also realize that a five block walk is a long way for many people visiting Mayo.

The on-demand shuttle was a factor in my selection of the hotel. I had planned to fly in but ended up driving and had a car available. Since I walked to all of my appointments and had my own car for longer trips, I never rode the shuttle. The other guest with whom I visited were complimentary of the shuttle service and I heard no grumbling about it from anyone.

I only ate once (lunch) in the hotel resturant. It was decent and not too badly priced. I would have had no problems eather there more but I just like to get out when I am staying at a hotel.

Soldier park is adjacent. Decent for walking and running. Also has a nice play ground, swimming pool and public golf course. I am not a golfer so cannot comment on the quality of the course. Looked good to me.

Another reviewer commented negatively on the neighborhood. I walked all over this part of Rochester. While it is definitely not
Beverly Hills, I didn't see anything that looked like a bad neighborhood. In fact, I was impressed with how neat and well maintained even the older houses are. You have to remember, this location is in close to the downtown area. To the north you have downtown, to the east you have mixed use (apartments, older houses, a few small older business), to the south you have Soldier Park, and to the west you have mostly single family residences.

I had little interaction with the front desk. Check in was quick and efficient but not terribly personable. I am writing this review from my room prior to check out so haven't gone through that process yet. The only other interaction with the front desk was asking for a map of Rochester. I was a little disappointed that all they could offer was a commercial visitors guide (i.e. a bunch of advertisements) that had only a crude map in it. I checked with the Mayo information desk later and they told me that the last printing of the city map had been depleted and they were expecting a new printing shortly.

A major consideration in selecting the hotel was the availability of high speed wireless internet as I worked from my room between appointments. In general, the connection was pretty good. Speed bogged down a couple of times, but that happens from time to time in most hotels.

Hope all this information is useful to someone. I primarily use the information on this website to make my hotel selection. Figured I owed it a detailed review.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — no problems
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank whoknows987
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I have to share my reasons for rating this only 'Okay' first. My credit card was charged the full amount 2 weeks prior to our arrival date. Checking in took as long as in Las Vegas. We arrived about 5:30 p.m. on a Thursday evening. The hotel was full, there were two staff at the counter, but the wait was quite long...for the location. We settled in, finding our room to have an 'old person's smell', and decided to head to the bar for a relaxing cocktail. Upon returning to our room about 7:30, neither my friend's key, nor mine worked. A woman and her son at the elevator asked what we were doing. In short, their keys allowed them into our room and we were now locked out of our room. The front desk did 'fix' the situation and our belongings did not seem to have been disrupted. The shower barely drained, but we didn't alert staff as one of us showered in the evening, the other in the morning. (It drained by morning) However, on our third night, after a long, hot, dry day antiquing outdoors, we returned to our room to shower Saturday evening before dinner. The tub was filled with hair, black substance, and goodness knows what. We called the front desk who assured us someone would be there shortly. A young, perhaps, non-English speaking individual came to the door and immediately proceeded to clean the bathroom. He didn't answer or acknowledge our questions. He left without a word. Ick! The hotel is very quiet, conveniently located, and the breakfast staff is wonderful. I was prepared to share my concerns upon checkout. However, I was never asked how the stay was. I would NEVER stay here again.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank SallyFoodie
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 29, 2008

First and foremost, after staying for 3 weeks, this hotel has the best shuttle service and staff! Everyone (housekeepers, breakfast servers, front desk, shuttle drivers) was extremely polite and helpful.
1. Shuttle Service - Fantastic!!!! They will pick you up at your building or the lobby and take you ANYWHERE in Rochester with little to no wait.
2. Breakfast was very good. Waffles made to order, fresh fruit (grapes, melon, pineapple), scrambled eggs, sausage, pastries, oatmeal, toast, and 4 kinds of juice. The dining area was always kept very clean and the staff did a great job making waffles.
3. Front Desk - these people couldn't have been any nicer. You need anything.....all you have to do is ask.
4. Housekeeping - Great
5. Pool - Very nice and clean
Overall - would stay here again without a doubt!

• Liked — Amazing shuttle service
  • Disliked — rooms could be updated in building 3
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family