“Wonderful Staff and Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area

Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
Georgetown, IL
“Wonderful Staff and Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in the tower part which is the main building. The staff was WONDERFUL! We had a quick check in and our room was nice. The beds were very comfortable. We had two queen beds, a recliner, desk and chair, wall unit that held the microwave, fridge, televison and had dresser drawers. The bathroom was a little small. The shower had sliding doors which are not convenient when you have hip and knee problems. That was a downfall as you could not sit on the edge of the tub. The shuttle service is FANTASTIC! The housekeeping staff was alright. I did not like the fact that there was no guest laundry in the tower building itself. I had to go outside in the freezing cold to one of the other buildings to do my laundry. I would recomment putting a guest laundry in the main building especially since you pay more to stay there. However, it was cheaper than going to an outside laundromat and the machines worked really well! My biggest complaint would be the the breakfast. Yes it is free, however, it is the same day after day. No variety so we did find ourselves buying breakfast at restaurants and at the Clinic. Would I stay again, ABSOLUTLEY! Would I recommend, ABSOLUTELY!

Room Tip: I would recommend the tower building if you have any sort of walking issues. The shuttle picks you...
1 Thank sailorwife23320
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thanks for your wonderful comments. We are so happy to hear that our staff was great during your stay with us at the Best Western Plus Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are glad that you enjoyed our guestrooms and found our beds to be comfortable. Next time you come, there will be flat screen televisions in all of the guest rooms as well! I am sorry to hear that you had issues with the shower doors. As we replace the current doors, we are changing out our shower doors to a curved rod with a shower curtain. I am glad that you enjoyed the shuttle service that we offer to our guests, we really feel that we have the best drivers in Rochester and it makes us happy that you found the shuttle service to be superb! I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our breakfast selections. We have implemented a new rotating breakfast which includes Egg Bakes, Meat-Egg-and- Cheese Scramble with homemade American fries and we have added a pancake machine as well. I apologize that these items were not available during your stay with us. Thanks again for your thoughts and fantastic recommendation! We look forward to your next stay with us. If you have any questions or would like to discuss anything further, please contact me myron@soldiersfield.com Sincerely, Myron Salz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Browerville, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband was a patient at Mayo Clinic. How nice it was to arrive, park the car (free) in the hotel parking lot and not have to move it until we left! Downtown parking can be expensive. The hotel has two free shuttle buses that take hotel guests where ever they need to go in the city: clinic, hospital, restaurants or malls. The shuttle drivers are so courteous and helpful. My husband had to go to the emergency room at 7:15 pm, and at 2:15 A.M. when we were ready to leave, all we had to do was call, and a shuttle arrived to pick us up - no charge!
There is a bountiful hot breakfast in the morning and a nice restaurant for noon or evening meals.
There are 3 different buildings for guests. We stayed in the main building. Rooms were comfortable, although, we did have a maintenance problem that was not attended to during the 3 nights we were there. I reported a burned out light in the lamp above the couch on the first night...it still wasn't replaced when we left three days later. I heard housekeeping report it, and I reported it again when I checked out. The light really didn't affect our stay, but I felt it should have been addressed while we were there.
I have recommended this hotel because of the closeness to the Mayo clinic (a nice walk in nice weather), the convenience of a free shuttle service, and a hot breakfast, and a restaurant on site. All Mayo patients get a special hotel rate which is cheaper than any other rate.

Room Tip: The breakfast room is located in the main building. A room on the west side of the main building ma...
1 Thank sandyBrowerville_MN
Thank you for your review from your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. Although we hate to hear that your husband had to go to the Emergency Room, we are thrilled that you were staying with us so we could come and get you when you were able to come back to the hotel. We can’t wait to pass along your comments to our drivers, they love to hear how appreciated they are by our guests. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast that we provide and were able to dine in Twigs Tavern and Grille. I am so sorry to hear that you had a maintenance issue with your light bulb. Thank you for letting me know about this issue so we can look into what happened during your stay as this should have been addressed immediately. We have just implemented a new computer program for maintenance issues to be tracked on. Our hope is that issues such as yours will be dealt with in a timely manner. I believe the system will truly make a difference and oversights like what you experienced will not happen again. We can’t tell you how much we appreciate and thank you for your recommendation of our hotel. We hope that if you are in the Rochester area in the future that you will stay with us again. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to discuss anything further, myron@soldiersfield.com Thanks again for your comments. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice people at front desk. Shuttle runs basically on demand to the clinic/hospitals with very nice and caring drivers. Breakfast in the morning is adequate. Parking lot (not covered) across the street from hotel. Liked the restaurant in the hotel. Rooms were clean. The beds need MORE blankets. There were three of us in the room and we all froze both times we stayed. The rooms tend to be a bit drafty with air coming in from around the room air conditioners and from under the door. I would stay there again but bring my own blanket(s).

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank WisKim
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We are glad that our front desk staff was helpful and nice during your stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our shuttle service and the drivers were nice and caring. I am sorry to hear that you did not have enough blankets during your stay. We provide an extra blanket and pillow in each room and when requested we do provide additional blankets during your stay. I am sorry to hear that was not offered to you. If you could contact us and let us know who you spoke to regarding the blankets, we would appreciate it so much. We will speak to both our front desk as well as to housekeeping regarding this issue. We thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate your comments and we hope that when you are in the Rochester area you will stay with us again. Please let me know if you have any additional comments or concerns, myron@soldiersfield.com. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Ellicott City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you are going to the Mayo Clinic this place caters to you. Unfortunately I was not. Free shuttle to the clinic or several other places. The only saving grace for the rooms was a flat screen TV. The rooms are tired and need a make over. The rooms are divided in buildings (yes across the street so you can cross traffic to eat) and there numbering system is a little odd. It took me ten minuets to find my room in the dark. If was on the back side of the building even though my room number was one number off the rooms on the front side.
The hot breakfast was fine and you had numerous choices.

• 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Jan M
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the new flat screen televisions that we have recently installed into all of our guestrooms. We have an annual plan in place to spruce up the rooms and we are excited for the changes. At this point we have added new carpets, new bedding, and flat screen televisions, and hopefully we will begin our next phase in the Spring. I apologize that you had trouble locating your guestroom. Our front desk agents are to provide each guest with a map of our property, I am sorry if this did not occur upon your check in. We will speak to them to be certain they are giving our guests a directional map. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been and I am truly sorry. We are glad, though, that you enjoyed the free breakfast buffet that we provide seven days a week and found the selection appealing. We hope that you were able to enjoy some of our new additions that we have recently added. We appreciate your patronage and hope that if you are ever in the Rochester area again you will choose to stay with us. If you have any questions or would like to discuss anything further, please contact me, Myron@soldiersfield.com. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Hanover, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Very up to date clean rooms & nice soft towels.
Loved the Twigs restaurant....very unique entrees with good pricing.
We travel to Rochester, Minnesota 5 or more times a year with our children being in wrestling and the town is very easy to navigate and this hotel is in the center with all things you would need very close. Many good restaurants near this hotel also.
Have tried many other hotels in the last 10 years of coming down and now after our second stay here we are hooked.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nina M
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your clean guestroom and the towels that we provide here at the Best Western Soldiers Field are nice and soft. We are excited that you love Twigs. We have worked extremely hard on menu development to find affordable fun options for our guests. We are glad to hear that you choose to stay with us whenever you are in Rochester. We love our sports teams, you make our weekends fun! We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely Myron Salz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Clean, quiet, comfortable hotel. We have stayed there many times in conjunction with visits to Mayo Clinic. They have a great shuttle service to Mayo buildings that operates contnuously and on demand. And includes a wheelchair accessicle mini bus. Nice pool and good free breakfast. Not a fan of the hotel retaurant for other meals but the free shuttle service also takes guests to area restaurants and the shopping mall. In addition to regular hotel rooms they have suites with kitchen facilities in a separate building - nice and great for longer stays but i found they were not very handicap accessible.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank OhMadPioneer
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Best Western Plus Soldiers Field. We are glad you enjoy our accommodations and find the rooms clean, quiet, and comfortable. Our shuttle service is one of the best in town and we are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the service during your stay. Thanks for your comments regarding the pool and breakfast. We hope that you were able to enjoy some of the new options on our breakfast buffet. We have added a pancake machine, and rotating hot breakfast options for our guests. Yes, we have a couple different accommodation options. Our tower guestrooms have either a king bed and pullout sofa or two queen beds with a mini refrigerator and microwave. Our exterior suites have full kitchens and separate bedrooms. We have also recently installed flat screens in each of our guestrooms for your enjoyment. We hope that if you are ever in the Rochester area again you will choose to stay with us. If you have any questions or concerns that you would like to discuss please contact me, myron@soldiersfield.com Sincerely, Myron Salz
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stay in Rochester a couple times per year for visits to the Mayo Clinic. Best Western Soldiers Field is by far the best value in Rochester. I've stayed at other hotels before but always come back to this one. Their shuttle service is top notch - other hotels are twice the price and claim they have connected hotels to the Mayo Clinic, but the Best Western shuttles run continuously to Mayo Clinic as well as the Apache Mall, the movie theaters, the grocery store - really anywhere you want. I just finished dinner at a place just outside of downtown and after I called they were there faster than if I would have called a taxi. The front desk staff is very friendly and they have a nice breakfast in the morning with scrambled eggs, waffles, pastries and fresh fruit. I usually book directly and ask for the tower rooms. I think the tower rooms are a little nicer and larger than their motel like rooms that open to the outside.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a tower room - they are a little larger and nicer than the motel style rooms t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jason K
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Best Western Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are so happy to hear that you always come back and stay with us.

Our shuttle service is one of the best in the area and our drivers are definitely one of a kind! We are not sure what we would do without each and every one of our drivers. We pride ourselves in giving our guests the best possible experience while in Rochester with our shuttle service and prompt pickup and drop off times. We have worked hard on making sure we are staffed properly during busier times of the day, and it’s great to hear that our efforts have paid off.

We are happy to hear that our front desk staff was very friendly during your stays with us. We can’t wait to pass along your wonderful comments to our staff. They enjoy hearing that everything they do is appreciated by our guests.

We are glad that you enjoyed our free breakfast buffet that we offer seven days a week. We have recently added a few more options to our breakfast buffet including Egg Bakes, Meat, Egg, and Cheese Scramble with homemade American fries and we have added a pancake machine as well. We hope that you are able to enjoy those new items during your next stay with us.

We couldn’t be happier to hear that you enjoy our tower guestrooms. We have recently added flat screen televisions in each of our guestrooms for your enjoyment.

We hope you have a great holiday season and can’t wait to see you again soon.
Sincerely, Myron Salz