“Romantic setting, great tapas” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sontes - CLOSED

Sontes
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadway and 3rd St SW
Description: Relax and take your time sampling our seasonally spontaneous food and extensive selection of wines and beers. We support local farmers and artisans, ensuring that we serve the freshest produce, meats and cheeses possible. Our stunning bar boasts 40 wines by the glass, served from a temperature-controlled cuvee system, and more than 100 wines by the bottle. We are here to make you feel at home, so sit back and lounge near our fireplace, belly up to the bar, or enjoy a leisurely evening in our dining room. Make a reservation by 4:00 on the day you plan to join us and receive a special treat from the chef!
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“Romantic setting, great tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

If you're looking for a light bite, great wine, and a romantic setting, try Sontes in Rochester, MN. They have several wines on tap at a variety of price points. They have creative tapas (small plates), and you can sit at the bar, on the couches by the fireplaces, or at a quiet table. They also have a private room for private parties.

However, if you're really hungry and on a budget, this is probably not the restaurant for you.

Visited October 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Tapas that can improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I went to Spain and ate at real tapas bars. The sherry was cheap and the tapas (snacks) were free. I'm from Chicago and frequented many tapas places and the atmosphere was casual and the plates were small yet sharable and affordable (most under $5 all under $10). Sontes has a puffed shrimp appetizer (looks like puffed vegetable chips) complementary but the tapas were small and expensive. The two of use spent almost $30 and walked out as hungry as we entered. I can't pinpoint what it was but I doubt that I'd go back.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank leonor c
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“BEst place in Rochester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Superb tapas amazing wine & beer list. Volume is ideal on Saturday night. alway make a point of stopping in. Easy to make an unhurried 2-3 hour meals with a wied viritey of small plates

Visited September 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Food two sweet and then the desert came which pushed it over the edge.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We recently got back from Spain where we spent time in San Sebastian where the food was very nice.

As a reflection if our nice adventure my sister and I went to Sontes.

We tried to order the patatas brava in which the server kindly told us, they had run out of potatoes. Although that was not acceptable for what I am used to in restaurant service, I didn't say anything.

Then we ordered the brussel sprouts which were sweet.

We ordered salads. The salads were dry. I requested a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of balsamic vinegar to moisten my salad. They brought a, more or less, tablespoon on additional salad dressing a charged .50 cents.

Then we ordered the beef shank and bone marrow. The bone marrow was a hollow bone. According to online recipes, none marrow should be a pate for bread not a melted mess. Our waitress should not have brought us the improperly prepared bone marrow. We ate it though.

We ordered a beet salad. The beets were raw. The centers were just raw. The waitress was trying to imply that the beets were supposed to be raw, was my sincere impression but we would not allow it. We sent the beets back.

We were still hungry but the menu was limited for a tapas bar, albeit basing that impression on the culinary mecca of San Sebatian Spain.

We decided on dessert. The waitress described the desert as a chocolate rendition with a caramel base and a crumble top. Her description was simply lovely. She said she highly recommended the dessert. We ordered the dessert. The restaurant brought a white, slimy tasting thing. It was so slimy. Even the 18 month old infant was undecided on it. They called it Chocolate Creme Anglaise. Even the cookie crumble did not taste right to my palate. I have to admit that I have eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the world.

The manager took the beet salad off the menu because it was raw. He said that we were going to pay for the dessert we could not eat because he served it.

We said ok. We paid for the dessert we did not eat.

We told him that we would not tip the waitress and he could figure that out with her.

We felt that someone should take responsibility for the dessert we did not like. Either the waitress for the inaccurate description or the manager who served a dessert that was unlike anything I have ever tasted in my life.

I feel like restaurants should take extra care in dessert preparation. Dessert is like a guilty pleasure. If people are going to add an after main course treat, I feel that it is a social resp

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
“Great evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have been to Sontes twice and really think it is a 4 and 1/2 star place. First, the food is excellent. It's a tapas place so the portions were big for tapas but not entrees. The lamb, the risotto, the dates, and the scallops all were standouts. The wine list is eclectic and fun and priced well. The cheese list is extensive and a tad overpriced. Desert was excellent, and for a really different treat try the honey/lavender grappa. A great surprise to a great meal.

One thing you should be prepped for is the food comes out slow, almost too slow. The kitchen needs to work on that.

What made things good to great on both occasions was our server Kiwi. She was always attentive. She survived my business partner and me. She gave my wife and me one of the most romantic meals ever. Yes the food was slow but Kiwi rocked and stepped everything up a notch. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited August 2013