“Location & comfort”

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Minnesota
“Location & comfort”
Reviewed November 8, 2009

This hotel is not fancy or plush. We did find a pair of dirty socks in the hide-a-bed. There is 5 of us that go for our Mothers 6 month checkups. Breakfasts are plenty, healthy and not sooo healthy biscuits and gravy, but all is good. The coffee was undrinkable! Very bitter and tasted like it was cooked all night!! The milk and juice are nice and cold.
I love having Caribou coffee right there. Parking can be a hassle. If you have to park in the ramp across the street, you have the hotel validate it for you and it is free with your hotel stay. There actually is more room at the ramp then underneath the hotel. The frontdesk was very helpful, when we asked for extra pillows and blankets, they were brought up in a half hour. The hot tub is small but we were the only ones in it.
We love walking from the hotel to find someplace to eat and enjoy the beauty of the city and how safe it is at all hours of the day or night. Sometimes the elevators are slow, just go around the corner and try the other one if possible, the side one seems less used and faster than the pretty glass one right by the front desk. We will be back in 3 months.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Missouri
Reviewed November 8, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel for our first visit to Mayo clinic. The convenience of this hotel was wonderful. We stayed in a small suite that had a mini kitchen, pull out couch/seating area in addition to two queen beds. The hotel room was very standard but definitely served our needs. It was comfortable and clean and I felt well worth 109$ per night. But note, it is nothing fancy - from what I understand, nothing is in this area. Ours was on the second floor which is the same floor as the complimentary breakfast, workout area, and pool. Our room, number 241, and the others on that hallway, all had large ( maybe 12 X12?) balconies which would have been wonderful to use had the weather been warmer. In addition, staying on the second floor enabled us to avoid the slow elevators.
It appears that the hotel is working to improve some of the issues mentioned by previous reviewers over the past few years. Our comforter was definitely new and the bed did have several pillows. There is now an additional blanket and pillow (presumably for the pullout) stored on a closet shelf. Interestingly, we noticed the room next door to us was under some sort of contruction as there was a construction/supply cart parked outside the room literally all day. When I peeked in, the room was completely torn apart! I asked the person working in the room what was being done - upgrade? new fixtures? what? I was told that this was something that was done routinely. The room was taken out of rotation for 24 hours and all maintenance was performed like regrouting, tightening fixtures, etc. I was impressed.
Overall, I thought the size of the room was a real plus. Both of us were going through medical tests at Mayo and having the kitchen and seating area allowed us to spread out and not feel cramped in a small hotel room with the usual limited floor space.
The parking lot of the Inn is small and low ceilinged! We drive a Toyota Sequoiya and it did not fit - a near tragedy since we did pull in! We ended up parking at the nearby Graham Parking Deck and had our ticket validated at the hotel. We still paid the $12 per day at our hotel but it was charged to our account so we did not have to hassle to pay the parking attendant at the parking deck.
The restaurant is adequate. The wait staff was very friendly and the food was decent. We only ate there once though. The Jimmie Johns sandwich shop is also attached to the hotel and we bought sandwiches, then heated them up in our microwave for a warm meal in front of the tv.

We will definitely stay here again, and I can recommend it without any qualms.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Buffalo NY
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We were pleased with the underground subway straight to the clinic. Positives include:
-pets allowed
-free breakfast, but not very good...fruit choice was green bananas or overripe pears and apples. I thought the pastry was very bad.
-good supply of towels, blankets and pillows
-we had a mini suite which included microwave, frig , kitchen sink and small dining table. We bought fast food in the subway each day and then warmed it up at night for dinner.

Negatives:
-furniture never moved for cleaning
-maid woke us up at 7:15 Sunday morning to clean the room. It was the only day out of 7 that we planned to sleep in.
-no "free" newspaper on Sat or Sun available. Desk clerk said they were all gone, although it was only 7:30 a.m. and hardly any guests were up yet. There were plenty M-F, but none available on the weekend when you actually had time to enjoy it.
-We asked for extra blankets and had to stay awake until 11:10 pm to receive them, as they were locked up in storage.
-Our requested shuttle to the airport did not come and we had to take a taxi or risk missing our flight.
-Coffee maker was dirty, but replaced upon request.
-Slow elevators
-Hotel restaurant was closed on Friday and Saturday.

Would we stay again? Yes, because they allow pets and are so very convenient to the clinic!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MomofFiveBuffaloNY
Sioux Falls
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Not too bad. Only problem was elevators were slow and parking can be a problem as there are not enough spaces immediatly below the motel. If you have early surgery next morning at Methodist Hospital all you have to do is walk accross the street.
Continental breakfast wasn't too bad. Should have been a few more tables. Staff was prompt and friendly. We rented a larger room. There was a couch and a table along with a microwave. Bathroom was very small, and furniture was a bit old.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Jimm8117
Afton, Minnesota
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Kahler Inn and Suites for our annual dental meeting sponsored by the Mayo Clinic. The Inn was close, connected to the skyways and had a great breakfast.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Stayed two nights at Kahler Inn...changed at the last minute from the Kahler Grand because it was really cold at night and at the Grand you cannot be guaranteed individual heat/ac control...only in some rooms so depending on how you like your temp you may not be happy. I called and was told the rooms at the Kahler Inn have individual controls and my room was temperature perfect. Actually after reading some reviews here I was nervous but it turned out to be a nice room (took mini suite with two beds) with refridge and micro...nice bathroom...nothing fancy but really comfortable and quiet. Nice service at desk and even a complimentary breakfast with lots of choices. It could certainly use some "deep cleaning" in spots but for a stay just to go to the clinic it was pefect for me. I would stay there again. Hated the underground parking as barely room for one car but it is two way but got out okay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
MN
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Comments:

Room---Coffee and ice bucket trays were dirty. Coffee maker was stained, and the coffee tasted awful. Coffee carafe was like a dribble glass to pour. Hair dryer was loose on the wall and tilted. The TV channel changer button stuck each time I pressed it. The desk chair was dirty and dusty. The chair next to the bed was broken and useless. The door did not close on its own, I had to give it a hard push every time I went in or out.

9th Floor---It felt like I was staying in an attic. NO ice machine, and the 8th floor ice machine was broken. Carpets stained. Ceiling-high towel carts all over the hall. Every other floor had 3 elevators, 9th only has one.

Front Desk---There was often no answer on the phone. I also observed front desk personnel talking to others and letting the phone ring off the hook. When I checked out, the clerk did my paperwork and then just moved on to another guest without a word to me. When she saw I was still standing there, she dismissed me by telling me I wasn’t getting any paperwork. Then she turned away again.

Café---It smelled bad in the café. The seats and tables were dirty with crumbs. The waitress had a blaring voice that could break glass. There seemed to be no air conditioning. Staff communicated with each other often by yelling between the kitchen and dining room. The café was only open certain days and times.

I will never stay here again, and I will warn others to avoid this hotel. Feh!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank Merlin1954