“Very good food, generous portions!”
Review of Newt's Downtown

Newt's Downtown
Ranked #8 of 302 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Minnesota
“Very good food, generous portions!”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We selected a table outside as our visit was on a beautiful summer day. We ordered mussels as an appetizer, and they were amazing. Hard to find, glad we did! We luckily decided to share the blue marlin sandwich. It came already divided in two on our own dishes. Wow, each of our portion was huge and we barely could finish it. So good, so wonderful to find a restaurant offering something other than walleye and cod. We love both of those but this place mixed it up and gave us something new to try. It was a winner, would order again in a heartbeat. Service was OK, could have been faster, but it was a very busy Friday night. We will be back for a duplicate order!

• Visited August 2011

Minnesota
“Good burgers, but not quite the "best in town"”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Visited Newts in downtown Rochester with my husband on Sept. 11. He had a Marvins burger and I ordered a Hickory Bacon Cheese burger w/ Mozz; both came with a pile of fries and a good crisp pickle spear. Newts billboards advertise they have the best burgers in town, so my expectations were pretty high. First impressions: Loved the puffy toasted bun! The fries were maybe the best I've had (somewhat natural cut, not too hard/crispy, good potato flavor). The burger patty itself was good, but not real juicy, somewhat dry texture, but not overly dry like some burgers. Ordered it MW but came Well so that could account for some dryness. After eating half, I asked for some BBQ sauce to go with it. I wasn't a fan of the sauce, it tasted more like steak sauce. But overall it was a decent burger, just not the best. (I had a bacon cheese burger the week before at Famous Dave's which I honestly thought was better.) If you are into some unique burgers, Newts would be someplace you should look up - burgers topped with peanut butter and bacon or eggs and bacon, etc.... for those who enjoy a little more adventure for their tastebuds than me :)
Our waitress at Newts was attentive and very good. She was quick with filling up my water glass three times when she saw it empty. The bar atmosphere is kinda dark, but there is great seating with a skyview of the downtown buildings from the second floor bar and grill.

• Visited September 2011
Lake Zurich
“Best burger and nachos”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

If you plan to go on Fri or Sat go early. Long wait but a fun place to be. Fantastic burgers. Great service. Great for kids.

• Visited August 2011
Big Lake, Minnesota
“best burgers in Rochester, hands down”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Went with friends for burgers, they have many classics and some unusual selections on the menu, I recommend the juicy Lucy stuffed with cheese! Nice beers, fries and appetizers also. Cool location kind of hidden and upstairs. Will eat there whenever I am back in Rochester!

• Visited November 2010
Wichita, KS
“Must-eat place for burger lovers”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

The burgers here are awesome, among the best I've ever had. I had the mushroom Swiss burger and my husband -- after finishing heart-health testing at Mayo Clinic -- had some kind of bacon cheeseburger. The fries were good, too!

• Visited June 2011