“pretty good food at a decent price and friendly service”
Review of Michael's - CLOSED

Michael's
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The "Classic American Restaurant" has been serving quality steaks and fresh and innovative seafood for over 62 years. The "New" Michael's now proudly run by third generation restaurateurs, Michael, George, James, Laurie and Barbara blends a combination of established traditional steakhouse cuisine with current cutting edge foods and new culinary trends to create an ever-evolving dining experience for our guests. This will mean healthier, more organic salads and vegetables, sustainable wild-caught fish and seafood, and a larger selection of prime/high choice, natural and grass fed meats. Enjoy a daily lunch, dinner, a special business meeting or romantic occasion in one of our many warm and inviting dining rooms. Please join our new and longtime patrons who have enjoyed many fond memories over the years as dining guests in our restaurant. Michael's a "New" Classic American Restaurant.
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Finally went here after living in ROchester for 7 years. The steak and lobster were good...my mom loved the fish. Big portions, you wont leave hungry! My mom loved the soup, but I didnt care for the salad and wouldnt get it again. I would return here, and would like to try more things off the menu. It has a very 1960's supper club feel, but its kind of cool...reminds me of my grandma's house when I was little. Kitzchy, but fun! The wait staff was super nice too. Had to wait a few minutes for service, but the friendly waitress made up for that!

Reviewed October 30, 2010

We had the bone-in ribeye, twin loster tail special, duck and halibut so we had an excellent cross section from the menu. All were terrific. My steak and my wife's lobster were great. Our guests loved their duck and halibut. We also had desserts; the creme brulee, pecan pie and pumpkin pie were super. Very high recommendation.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

My husband and I have lived in Rochester for 4 years and always overlooked this place. We thought it was just some overpriced restaurant where patients ate. We finally decided to give it a try for our anniversary dinner after we saw an advertisement in the Rochester magazine for steak and lobster for $26. Neither of us had really ate lobster before, but we were ready to try it.
We each got the steak/lobster special and it was delicious. The filet mignon was nice and tender and just lightly seasoned. The lobster was good, but it was my first time having a lobster tail so I have nothing to compare it to. They brought it out with a tray of warm melted butter sauce and lemons. I would definitely go back again and have the special.
They only thing I didn't like was the mashed potatoes. They were really thick. They kind of tasted like they added a bunch of flour to them to make them extra thick. I preferred the baked potato instead, which is what my husband ordered. The special also came with a plain salad or soup and a lot of bread. Nothing out of the ordinary there.
I was surprised by the alcoholic drink prices. They were pretty cheap for Rochester! Most of the cocktails were under $6. Can't beat that price downtown. My drink was strong too. I'd definitely go back just to visit the bar!
I also loved the atmosphere of this place. We got kind of a crappy table in the main room right near the host stand because we didn't have a reservation. However, the place was like a 1960's supper club. We've been watching Mad Men a lot lately and Michael's looks like a restaurant straight out of that tv show. There are old paintings hanging on the walls, old signs labeling the different rooms, and photos of celebs who have visited the place through the years. I had no idea Michael's was like this. If I had known, I would have visited years ago. It's a nice change from all the other trendy restaurants that are now in downtown Rochester. I'll definitely be going back when I can save up enough money for it (the meals aren't cheap). I now know Michael's isn't just some tourist trap for patients.

1  Thank am5
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Michael's luncheon specials are great -- quite a variety, reasonably priced, and delicious. The wait staff is "old school" -- well-trained, pleasant, efficient. We've only eaten at Michael's for lunch when we've been at Mayo Clinic, but we always look forward to it. It's a classy place to eat.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

My dad and I went to this place for the first time. The waiter thought she recognized my dad as a doctor, but when she realized it was our first time she switched us to a "better room". We split an oriental salad (we're European and eat small portions) and it could technically feed 3 of us. That salad was delicious and the price is very good (less than $9)! :o) We'll go there again.