“Michael's Was, and Will Remain, an "Obligatory Stop"”
Review of Michael's - CLOSED

Michael's
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The "Classic American Restaurant" has been serving quality steaks and fresh and innovative seafood for over 62 years. The "New" Michael's now proudly run by third generation restaurateurs, Michael, George, James, Laurie and Barbara blends a combination of established traditional steakhouse cuisine with current cutting edge foods and new culinary trends to create an ever-evolving dining experience for our guests. This will mean healthier, more organic salads and vegetables, sustainable wild-caught fish and seafood, and a larger selection of prime/high choice, natural and grass fed meats. Enjoy a daily lunch, dinner, a special business meeting or romantic occasion in one of our many warm and inviting dining rooms. Please join our new and longtime patrons who have enjoyed many fond memories over the years as dining guests in our restaurant. Michael's a "New" Classic American Restaurant.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

It had been nearly twenty years since last I had visited Michael's. It was always a favorite, and almost obligatory, stop of my late wife's and mine on our sundry trips to Rochester. However, mindful of Heraclitus' admonishment that "a man cannot stand in the same river twice," I extrapolated this to apply to restaurants and subsequently read the disparate glowing reviews of this city's culinary treasure.

After a glass of house Merlot and two generously poured extra-dry, very dirty vodka martinis garnished with anchovy olives, respectively, my companion and I left the comfortable confines of the lounge and were seated at a booth.

Our affable server's station contained no booths, but she procured one in another area and took excellent care of us until we we're ready to go. I think she was overwhelmed with patrons in her own area and was a bit desultory in delivering our check. She tried to be too accommodating, and we greatly appreciated it. On the whole, the service was otherwise superb.

Its being the sixtieth anniversary of Michael's, a twin cold-water lobster tail dinner special was offered at an unbelievably $26.95. Earlier this summer, we had dined on essentially the same fare at Wisconsin Dells' legendary Ishnala supper club at a special price of $45. The view of Mirror Lake at Ishnala is what makes the experience so memorable. At Michael's, it was strictly the meal itself. In a word, "superb."

Michael's will remain an "obligatory stop" on future trips to Rochester.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

For over 40 years we have enjoyed going to Michaels. It does not change or should it change. It is the BEST place in Rochester to eat. You get what you pay for and you always. Get the BEST. From the salad to the dessert you will not be disappointed, we never have.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

So glad we decided on this restaurant while we were in Rochester. It was a super excellent experience with great food, wine, and service. Worth every penny!

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been dining at this wonderful Rochester restaurant for the past 39 years, while I am a patient at the Mayo Clinic. This is an old school, classy place with excellent food and atmosphere. Everyone is kind and accomodating, always making you feel special and welcome. Even if I might have had a bad day, they cheer me up with their kindness, hospitality, and wonderful food. Steaks, lamb chops, seafood, spinach salad, garlic toast and bread sticks, and of course, the pecan pie and baklava. Yum! I'm hungry thinking about it! Their drinks are perfect, and they have a wonderful Piesporter wine that I love. When my mom was alive, they helped her to the table with her walker, and treated her like a queen, too. I have never had a bad meal.We go out to dinner a lot, and Michael's is tops in our books.

1  Thank Purplemartinbluebird
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Recently I was attending a convention at the Rochester Civic Center. I dedcided to take my wife and a few customers out for dinner. Not knowing where to go, we walked a few blocks and came across "Michael's". From the momment we walked in we felt genuinely comfortable. We decided to have a before dinner cocktail and took a table in the bar. The atmosphere was warm, comfortable and inviting. We enjoyed it and could have sat there all night. When we finally went to dinner, I ordered the New York Strip, Others had the lobster & steak special and my wife ordered the filet. We were ALL quite pleased about the taste and tenderness of the steaks. The lobsters were also very tasty. Michael's is a must for anyone looking for a extremely fine dinning spot in the center of Rochester. KUDO's to Michael's.