“Excellent dinner. Nice, relaxing break convenient to our hotel and the Mayo.”
Review of Downtown Kitchen - CLOSED

Downtown Kitchen
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This place is very cute- great ambiance. The wine list was great. We started with a cheese plate and hubby had the french onion soup, which was apparently amazing. For dinner I had a filet au poivre with Lyonnaise potatoes and broccolini. The steak was cooked perfectly. Hubby had the pork schnitzel entree which he loved. I had a bite of the pork- pretty darn good. I saved room for the flourless chocolate cake with salted caramel sauce. O.M.G. I will dream about that sauce. This place is totally worth the time. We also ate at Chester's, which was good but not on par with this place. Not sure why they are ranked the way they are.

2  Thank BruceandJenn

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have eaten in Rochester often and have tried all of the rated restaurants over the past few months. By far the best, is Downtown Kitchen. Thoughtful and creative food, unpretentious and comfortable. Better selection of meals than Pescara (and less expensive) more refined and tasty (by far) than Chester's, and all the rest are steps behind.

3  Thank Joe D
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I had a splendid meal at the Downtown Kitchen (DK) which featured outstanding ambiance, service and food. A nice romantic setting with a cozy feeling as we were seated up against the attractive inside brick wall. The floor seating plan is not large which is a plus. No TV's etc either which was another plus. All the items we tried were made with the best ingredients, so the flavor really "popped" including two different salads, the Scottish Salmon and the cheese plate. Chester's may be ranked #2 and DK #3 in Rochester, but I would have to put the DK ahead of Chester's (good as Chester's was) and have not tried the #1 ranked spot yet. Given the quality ingredients, the price paid for the meal delivered excellent value compared to other places we have been. Absolutely worth a visit if you want a great meal!

1  Thank MontanaGuy27
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Y husband and I came here because of the great reviews. We were not disappointed. We ordered the crab cakes and French onion soup as starters. We went on to the Steak Au Pouvre and the Baked Scrod and ended with the Creme Brûlée and the flour less chocolate cake. Amazing! Simply amazing!

2  Thank tivab0
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My bride took me to the Downtown Kitchen last night for my birthday. It was the first time we'd eaten there since the transition from the previous "Jasper's" incarnation. The new owners have kept the low key ambiance but have completely revamped the menu.

I had a wonderfully rich and flavorful Duck Cassoulet. The beans were cooked perfectly and the duck was tender and lean (as duck goes). My bride had baked scrod with green beans and root vegetables. Outstanding.

For dessert, we had intensely good flour less chocolate cake and a delectable apple cake with apple-raisin compote and cinnamon ice cream on the side.

We'll definitely go back and bring friends.

3  Thank Mitch1110