“A Big City-Style Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Loop

The Loop
Reserve with OpenTable
The Loop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 300 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rochester, Minnesota
“A Big City-Style Restaurant”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I have enjoyed lunch at The Loop in downtown Rochester a few times, but had never been there for dinner. My wife arrived without reservations at about 7:45 pm, and while indoor and sidewalk seating areas were busy, the pleasant host seated us promptly near the window.

The evening atmosphere in the restaurant is lively and has the feel and look of a big city downtown restaurant and bar. The restaurant is roughly half booths and half regular tables. Some of the booths likely seat 6 people.

The friendly and smiling server arrived promptly to take our drink order. We were pleased with the selection of draft and bottled beers and were able to choose from favorites. After the drinks arrived promptly, we ordered our dinners, which also arrived quickly.

The menu at The Loop is fairly extensive with a broad variety of foods. The prices are not low, but align well with other similar restaurants in Rochester. The food was well-prepared, arranged pleasingly on the plate, and tasted great. The meat in the steak sandwich that I ordered was tender and it tasted great. My wife enjoyed her seared ahi tuna sandwich as well.

I highly recommend The Loop for a good lunch or dinner. The service was excellent and the food was good. The casual, but big city-like, atmosphere has a good vibe.

• Visited August 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just okay”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I don't have anything to complain about here, but my experience was pretty average. Our server was friendly but a little slow (waited a little too long for him to greet us and bring the check). I had a steak sandwich, my date had a burger. They were both just fine, but nothing to write home about, I probably wouldn't pay that much for that food again. My date was not fond of his drink. One thing that was GREAT, however, was the atmosphere. It was later at night, and it's just so beautiful in the summer when the weather's nice, they have their nice planters, and there are romantic lights strung everywhere. It was my favorite part of the experience.

Charlottetown, Canada
“airy and modern, good appetizers”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The Loop can best be described as a modern, with high ceilings, lots of flat screen TV's, a big bar and young female servers in tight black attire. It has the ambience of an upscale bar. We dined here on a Sunday evening and the restaurant was less than half full. I suspect that the restaurant would have been busier and noisier on Friday or Saturday night.

Our table of eight shared the appetizers. We had the hummus, chili beef wraps, spicy chicken nachos, lank coated shrimp and crispy fried calamari. The portion size was just about right - not too much or too little for the number of people at the table. My choice of entree was lemon and saffron risotto topped with grilled chicken breast for a extra two dollars. I would have liked a little less lemon in this recipe as it overpowered the saffron. Others in the group had King Crab Mac and Cheese, Jerk Chicken Jambalaya, Fish Tacos and Wallye. I think everyone enjoyed their main course. No one had room for dessert so I cannot comment on the the sweets.

As mentioned, this restaurant has elevated booths and bar type seating. It might not be comfortable for everyone. On warm summer evenings, there are a few regular tables on the outdoor sidewalk patio.

Carpentersville, Illinois
“Pleasantly Surprised - Great Flavors”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

While my wife and I were in Rochester for her appointments at the Mayo, we ate at several places over the three days. We happened upon The Loop by chance, walking through the ped-mall and quaint streets (we're from Chicago...yes, they're quaint to us!). We're glad we did!

The atmosphere was really cool - modern/contemporary gastro-pub feel with very friendly servers. The beer list contained a couple dozen beers and they represented most every food-friendly brew category quite well. I went with a nice IPA from O'Dell. My wife opted for the white sangria (pear/peach flavors....downright tasty...a little stiff though!)

The food menu was not the largest, but it was extremely well thought-out and I basically agonized over what app, main dish and dessert to get. For the appetizer, we shared the smoked chicken nachos. The chips were freshly made and just the right amount of toppings were evenly distributed through the nachos (I can be picky). What I really got a kick out of was the fact they used fresh spices such as whole toasted cumin in the salsa and black beans and a perfectly rubbed/smoked chicken to match with the other flavors. I would have actually liked more chicken, but I'm a protein primary guy. We ate every last crumb on the plate.

For dinner, I continued the Latin flavor theme with the fish tacos. Now, this dish can be hit or miss, especially with the type and amount of fish used (i.e. small amounts of farm tilapia). These were absolutely KILLER tacos....very generous pieces of Mahi Mahi in three tacos topped with a freshly made red cabbage/cilantro-lime slaw and topped with jalapeno slices and what I estimated to be a chipotle-sri racha mayo. After the nachos, I probably should have stopped at 1.5 tacos....but I ended up plowing through all 3. I couldn't help it. I also ate all the beans and most of the cilantro-lime rice. My wife had the lemon-saffron risotto and added chicken breast. She sat back several times to explain how much she was enjoying the meal. I tasted some of the risotto and it was quite good (but I'd have to say my tacos take it here).

Despite how full we were....we figured we were 2/2 on the first two courses and we made the mistake of reading the description of the homemade fudge brownie sundae on the dessert menu. Three brownies and 2 large scoops of homemade caramel / moose tracks ice cream. This was very good too, but I'd say it was a bit on the sweet side. The brownies, perhaps, could have used a bit more dark chocolate in the recipe to balance or just tone down the sugar a bit....but, nonetheless it was a good way to cap the meal.

I highly recommend this place.

Leominster, Massachusetts
“Great lunch, great staff!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Our first time in town and were lured in by the billboard that said it was voted best new restaurant, so we decided to try it. Friendly staff, modern and inviting decor. Whoever sets up the bottles on the wall behind the bar must have OCD because they are perfectly spaced! We had the white sangria, which is unreal, it is so good! I just ordered a grilled cheese with ham, which was really good! Crispy buttery outside, soft inside, just perfect. You can taste and smell the garlic in the fries, which I think is a good thing, but if you have a job interview or something afterward, go brush your teeth :)

I can't think of a single negative thing to say. We would definitely return.

• Visited August 2014