“Awesome hotel with great staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Brentwood on 2nd

Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Awesome hotel with great staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

My family and I were here for surgery at St. Mary's. This hotel is so convenient, the staff so friendly and the rooms are clean. The front desk employee even made me coffee at 3:30 am because I asked. Great customer service. Would definitely stay at the Brentwood again!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Robyn C
Amy R, General Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Hello Robyn;

Thank you for taking a moment to write such a very flattering review of the Brentwood on 2nd. The Staff and I take great pride in our hotel and truly want each and every Guest to feel welcome and comfortable in a very clean and lovely room while they are staying with us. We understand that the majority of our Guests are, like you, here for medical purposes and not a vacation so we do our very best to ensure each Guest is comfortable. I'm so fortunate to have such a caring, friendly staff and that they made you feel "at home."
The Brentwood on 2nd definitely has an excellent location to St. Mary's Hospital. Visitors can't get any closer without actually being admitted! It makes it very convenient for family who have loved one's in the hospital.
Should you ever need to return to Rochester, MN, the Brentwood on 2nd would be more than happy to be your "Home Away From Home" again.

Truly,

Amy R. Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

At the last minute we had to change our room from Brentwood Inn to Brentwood on 2nd because of location to St Mary's. Rob was excellent at handling our original reservation and also at helping me to change rooms after the first night. Can't remember the name of the gentlemen who checked me out but also wonderful to deal with. Really appreciated the coupon each day for Charlie's. Medical appointments can get quite expensive and the coupon helped ease our expenses. As of now, it looks like we won't have to come south again, but if we do have to come to St Mary's this is where I'll lay my head. (Told you I'd be on Tripadvisor :-) )
Judy

Room Tip: I always ask for top floor, but I don't think it matters here. Rob told me the walls and floors...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank minntac
Amy R, General Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Hello!

Thank you very much for writing such a shining review of the Brentwood on 2nd! It's always good for me to hear that my Staff is helpful and committed to making every Guest's stay at our hotel a comfortable and convenient one! Thank you especially for acknowledging Rob who is our Front Desk Manager. I'm very fortunate to have a Team that truly cares about every Guest.
Although you don't plan on returning to Rochester/St. Mary's, (and I certainly hope that's the case!), I appreciate your intentions to stay with us again should you have to be in the area.

Take care and Stay Well!

Truly,

Idaho Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

When a family member had medical appointments far from home at the Mayo Clinic and then surgery at St. Mary's Hospital, we scoured the internet looking for convenient and inexpensive places to stay. With four of us traveling, we realized the benefit of staying close to the hospital, within walking distance, and narrowed our search to several hotels. Brentwood on 2nd was exactly across the street from the front entrance of St. Mary's Hospital and our lodging location could not have been more convenient. Our first day we drove to the downtown Mayo Clinic for appointments; the next day (having more time) we walked downtown (an easy mile or so walk each way). The third day we simply walked across the street to the hospital at 5:30 am for surgery check in. It should be noted that a shuttle comes by the hotel at specified times to take patients and their families to the farther Mayo location (a mile away), but we never took the shuttle. Parking at Brentwood on 2nd was free and very convenient for our needs. Using the $5 per room coupon for the restaurant downstairs, we ate there daily, sometimes just having breakfast, and other times, every meal. The food was good and once again, there is a lot to be said for convenience when traveling far from home for a family member's surgery. The lobby of the hotel was smaller but decorated very nicely. The front desk clerks varied...some knew information about the surrounding area and some were fairly clueless but pleasant, nonetheless. The rooms were clean, not large, but adequate for our needs. Overall, we were very pleased with our choice of lodging and our family member having had successful surgery, we hope never to have to travel to the Mayo Clinic again; however, if we do, we will be staying at Brentwood on 2nd.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Idaho208
Amy R, General Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello;

Thank you for taking the time to write such a shining review of the Brentwood on 2nd. I'm very happy to hear that our location was convenient for your family and that you found such great value in staying with us.
Our shuttle was a new addition in September and has been very helpful to Guests who have appointments downtown. Obviously this will be especially true in the upcoming winter. We truly strive to make sure visitors from out town have everything they need at their fingertips when they stay with us.
Also good to hear was that you enjoyed and took advantage of the coupon for Charlie's Eatery & Pub. It's so nice to have two on-site restaurants.
Our Front Desk staff is currently going through an extensive Tourism Ambassador program through the City of Rochester. As each staff member attends the training, they will gain a great deal of knowledge about Rochester history, things to do in Rochester and the surrounding areas. I attended the training myself and found it very beneficial! I believe the knowledge gained by our staff will be a great asset to our Guests in their "down time."
As you said, we hope you don't have to come back to St. Mary's or Mayo Clinic, but if you and your family do return, we would be pleased to have you as our Guests again.

General Manger
Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I've stayed at some of the chain properties in Rochester for Mayo visits and usually use Priceline to get a cheaper rate. I had to come in for one night for a conference, and a lot of the hotels were full. Brentwood on 2nd had a reasonable rate (less than I ever paid on previous visits - why didn't I stay here before?!). Previous reviews seemed pretty accurate. Older building with recent renovation. My room with two queen beds was pleasant, the bed was comfy, and it had everything I needed for my short stay. It's right across the street from St. Mary's if that's helpful to you, and parking is free in the hotel lot. They let me keep my car there later in the day after I checked out while I was at the Civic Center for my conference. Few dings - wifi didn't work; when I called before coming to see if the room had a hair dryer so I hopefully didn't have to bring one, the girl who answered had no clue (really?!); person at front desk when I checked in also had no clue if they offered government rates. Overall though I was really pleased. They also give you a $5 voucher to use in their restaurant, which I didn't just because of the short time I was there. I'd consider staying here again on future visits since the price is reasonable and the place is just as comfortable for me as the pricier chains I've stayed at near St. Mary's or between there and the main Mayo buildings. Thumbs up!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Amy R, Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hello Zoe;

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Brentwood on 2nd for TripAdvisor! You are clearly a very busy and savvy traveler and your feedback is greatly appreciated.
I am so happy you discovered the Brentwood on 2nd and that you found it as comfortable, clean and convenient as the major chain hotels in the area. I also appreciate hearing that you found value in staying with us not only because of our excellent rate, but because of the free parking and restaurant coupon.
We are diligently working to improve the wifi throughout the property. My apologies for the service being troublesome for you. For future reference, and so you can inform others, the Brentwood on 2nd does offer government rates with a valid Government ID.
Again, thank you for the "Thumbs Up!" I hope you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Rochester!

Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We made a last minute trip to Rochester to visit a relative in St Mary's Hospital. The convenient location was the primary booking factor. The hotel is literally across the street from the hospital. This is an older building that has recently undergone a remodeling. The room was a little on the small side, but everything was neat and clean. It was also quiet. The rate was very reasonable and the staff was courteous and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello;

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of the Brentwood on 2nd! I am so pleased you found our location convenient for you. You truly can't stay any closer to St. Mary's Hospital than our hotel. It's also nice to hear that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and our Staff friendly and helpful. We take great pride in making each Guest feel welcome, comfortable and appreciated.
Should you ever need to come back to the Rochester area, I hope you will stay with us at the Brentwood on 2nd!

Atkinson, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We just returned from St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, MN. We stayed at this hotel on the recommendation of friends. We were very pleased with the accommodations here.

Along with all the other reduced price packages, their best special rate is for family of patients in the hospital.

What's great about this hotel is it is directly across the street from the hospital. It also houses a restaurant and a bar.

You can get a coupon good for $5 off any food purchases at the front desk every morning. Lunch and dinner meals are fairly inexpensive so with $5 off your bill they are a no-brainer. There are plenty of other restaurants in the area as well.

The rooms have been completely remodeled. I thought the beds were firm but really comfortable. I slept really well there.

Off street private parking is also free.

As an added benefit, you can also hop on free shuttles to the mall and WalMart right at the hospital's front door.

I HIGHLY recommend a stay here if you need to be in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank homebrewer99
Hello;

Thank you very much for writing such a shining review of the Brentwood on 2nd. As General Manager, it is always nice to hear that a Guest stayed with us on the recommendation of a friend! It's also nice to know that you found such great value in staying with us and that you found our newly remodeled rooms clean and comfortable. I'm happy to hear you were pleased with the convenience of having a restaurant/pub right in the hotel, the free parking and wifi and of course, our great location to St. Mary's Hospital and all the surrounding restaurants.
I thank you for your recommendation of the Brentwood on 2nd and hope you will choose to stay with us again should you be in the Rochester area.

Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We booked Brentwood solely on the reviews here and honestly, it wasn't a bad place. The two queen room was updated and the hotel has been renovated. The room was pretty small, but perfect for two people. It was very clean and that was much appreciated. We actually had medical appointments at Mayo and walked there for my appointments. It was not a long walk at all. This was another bonus. The only reason I am rating this hotel as average is because of the really horrible Internet access and the curtains in the room that didn't block out the light very well. These are nit-picky things, but did affect us. The hotel advertises wireless Internet, which was a must as I am a teacher who is working on her master's and needed the Internet to work on my classes. The Internet in our room did not work except at 4:00AM and 5:00AM. I didn't particularly love waking up at the crack of dawn to utilize the web for school work, but that is what I had to do. Any other evening times, I was unable to get on the Internet to do my work for grad school. This was incredibly frustrating to me. We couldn't even get a signal in our room (330) the majority of the time. This also made FaceTiming with our children impossible as well. I did not tell management about it, because I doubt there's anything that could be done.

In addition, the curtains over the window did not block much light- light from all sides of the window seeped into the room. Both my husband and I need a dark room to sleep well and the windows let too much light in for us to get a deep night's sleep. Again, this is nit-picky but it did affect us. We come to Mayo at least once a year for check up's and I cannot say if I would stay at the Brentwood again. The price is right though and that's a plus. If Internet access and a dark room at night are not important to you, then I highly recommend this hotel. It is really nicely renovated, the staff is nice and helpful and it's in a great location with restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hawkeyemomkaye
Hello;

Thank you for taking to the time to write your review of the Brentwood on 2nd. I truly appreciate your feedback on our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you found our rooms to be very clean. As most of our Guests are patients, we strive to ensure that every room in cleaned thoroughly. It's also good to know you found our location very convenient. The Brentwood on 2nd has added it's own shuttle as an additional convenience for Guests who have appointments downtown.
I appreciate your comments regarding the internet service and the curtains. As we are a locally owned property, I can assure you that ownership has seen your concerns and takes them very seriously. We are diligently working on a solution for the wi-fi and will soon have a resolution to the issue. I apologize that the internet was an issue for you while you were staying with us.
Should you travel to the Rochester area again, I hope you will choose to stay at the Brentwood on 2nd.