“Nice hotel, noisy guests”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This hotel is very clean, well-kept and inviting. Good breakfast. The receptionist was very warm, friendly and helpful. The only problem we ran into was a youth baseball team that was staying there over the weekend. These baseball players, who were maybe 11 or so, were noisy and took over the pool. There were way too many kids in the pool and hot tub, and they were so loud and obnoxious that my two kids were afraid to get in the pool with them. Their coach tried to get them to calm down, but they didn't listen, so we left the pool and told the receptionist, who went to talk to them, but it didn't change anything. The hotel should enforce maximum number of people in the pool and ask obnoxious guests to leave so quiet guests can use the pool as well.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevators--or near a youth baseball team.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank maryvanb
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear maryvanb,

We are so happy that you were able to enjoy our Express Start Breakfast. We had a really busy week. We are sorry you were not able to enjoy our pool area.

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

This was well worth the points. The room was clean and quiet, the shower and bathroom were clean.

They seemed to have trouble keeping up with a light breakfast crowd this day. I guess the delivery truck didn't show up.

All and all this was a pleasant one night stay in a comfortable room at a more than reasonable cost! I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Scott H,

We are so happy to hear that you were able to use your points to enjoy your stay. We apologize you were not able to enjoy the breakfast bar at it's full potential.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This is the third or fourth time I stayed at this hotel since its opening. I was pleased once more with the cleanliness of the hotel and room, and the exceptional breakfast buffet. As a Mayo patient, I am grateful for the large selection of channels on the TV when I need to stay in my room. I have not encountered any noise other than street traffic, so I'm guessing the other reviewers might have been there on a weekend. The staff is very accommodating and pleasant, which is why I return there for each Mayo visit.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor on the side away from traffic.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Lorraine B,

We are so happy that you are able to enjoy your time at our location while you are in town for Mayo. Thank you so much for mentioning my staff. It is our staff that sets us apart from other locations in town.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on two occasions. First stay was several days and uneventful. On the second stay we were there only one night. That night the HVAC unit made a sharp clicking sound once every minute and a half. I slept right through it, my more sensitive wife was much disturbed. If she had mentioned it I imagine they would have moved us, but she let me sleep. When I checked out the next morning I complained to the fellow at the desk. He offered to discount the room for our inconvenience. I suggested half price as I slept fine my wife not much at all. And that's where we settled.

It's very convenient to Mayo Clinic (the reason Rochester, MN exists) and has heated under the hotel parking. Nice breakfast buffet. You will want the top (fourth floor) to avoid as much noise as possible.

Room Tip: Fourth floor corner will be quietest
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Old-Salty-Sailor;

We are so glad that you brought it to our attention during check out and that we were able to make things right for you. We always try to go above and beyond for our guest to ensure that they have a great stay with us.

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I spent a night at the hotel. The receptions were friendly and the entrance looks good. They have a nice guest rooms at the entrance.
Internet service (Wi Fi) is available. Internet speed was slow when I tired to hook my xbox 360 online.
The room has a big window and the street below is loaded with cars. I found that it was loud to me at night. Felt like Chicago than Rochester since it was loud.
However, They have free excellent breakfast in morning and big parking garage. Area is considered safe.
Staying there for fun is ok but for business, it was loud.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Bravo 1982,

We are glad you wre able to enjoy our Start Express Breakfast bar. The underground parking is really nice. We are sorry about the noise. We do have ear plugs and white noise machines at the front desk. On your next visit we can put you in a room overlooking the parking lot.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights this weekend. It is a newer hotel, quite clean, and in a good location. Parking and breakfast is included so that is good. Rooms are comfortable. Unfortunately, I didn't have a very restful stay because of excessive noise. There is street noise which I can deal with, but there appeared to be many families staying this weekend who allowed their children to run WILD late into the evening - I'm talking banging on doors, slamming doors, running down the halls, talking/yelling as though they were at a playground at 11 and 12 o'clock. Of course I fault the parents for allowing this, but I do think the hotel staff should have intervened. I have traveled a lot and never been in a hotel where that kind of noise was allowed to go on so long. My room was not in a good location (first floor, near the lobby), and I just had to wait it out. I know there are many people who stay at this hotel due to medical appts at the Mayo, and I really felt sorry for these people. I might stay in this hotel again because the location is so good, and the rooms are comfortable, but I would insist on a room that is not on the first floor. Also, I would be calling the front desk right away if there was noise like that late at night.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor, especially rooms close to the lobby area. A room on the top floor would be be...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy S
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. All of our guest comments help us to guide and direct our operations staff.

We apologize about the noise. We did have a few groups in house due to tournaments in town. We would love to host you again and place you in one of our rooms on the fourth floor overlooking the parking lot.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

When coming to the Mayo complex, we have stayed in this hotel 3 - 4 times. The staff are very helpful and friendly and since the facility isn't very old, it's still in great shape. The comments from other reviewers about noise between the floors with the "thumpers" above you are true. After the first stay, I've always asked for the 4th floor rooms, so being on the top floor you avoid that distraction. They have a nice breakfast buffet, with all you need for a quick bite to start your day. The front desk staff have also been very helpful when we had instances causing us to spend an extra night. They get it!!! The underground parking for a few vehicles is nice frosty mornings - no scraping!!! This hotel is located only a couple of miles from the downtown clinics and it's a very easy drive. It's always our first hotel choice when we need to go to Mayo.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms, looking out towards the front entrance are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CornDude
Melany L, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

We are gald that you are able to enjoy your stay with us when you come to Rochester. Thank you so much for mentioning my staff. It is our staff that sets us a side from other hotels in town.

Again, thank you for the opportunity to serve you and my staff and I look forward to hosting you in the future.