Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was our second stay at this unique Holiday Inn Express. It was brand new the previous visit and had a few quirks they had to iron out. But this visit, four months later, left us greatly pleased. The staff is very friendly, especially, Melany, at the front desk. The hotel is exceptionally clean and well maintained. The breakfast was great--not just the same thing every morning. They change the meat and egg offerings so it's not boring if you're staying there for more than a few days. When we stayed the first time, we couldn't access HBO. They have fixed that, too, even better than we had anticipated. They offer the best selection of channels-especially HD-than any other hotel we visit. The have HBO AND Showtime, which is almost unheard of at most hotels. It is especially wonderful for those of us visiting the Mayo Clinic and are confined to our rooms for some of the time. Thank you for that! Also, their bedding is fantastic. The beds are very comfortable with a choice of pillow selection.There was one problem we encountered, however, which was rectified after a few tries. I reserved a 2 bed queen and specified away from elevators and vending. I placed this reservation 3 months in advance. However, when we got there on a Sunday afternoon, they gave me a room DIRECTLY ACROSS from the elevators. Because they weren't busy at that time on Sunday, I was able to get an acceptable room. If not for that, I would have given them a rating of 5. But, all in all, the hotel and staff were very helpful. I hope they continue to keep their guests as happy as we were!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Lorraine B:

Thank you for your wonderful coments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Your feedback is important in helping to see how our operations are perceived by our guests.

I am extremely pleased you are a repeat customer and that we are making improvements so that we can exceed all of our guests expectations each time they stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Next, I want to thank you for mentioning Melany - our guest services manager. I agree, she is no doubt excellence in hospitality!

Again, thank you for your comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you again on your next visit.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We chose this property for it's close proximity to a wedding we were attending. We were pleasantly suprised by the decor and friendly welcome received at the front desk. Our King Room was very spacious and the bed was comfy. The breakfast was over and above what was expected and the employee maintaining it was friendly and cheerful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Dleigl:

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Feedback such as yours is essential to the success of our hotel's operations.

I am very happy our breakfast team member was excellent in maintaining our breakfast bar, was friendly and cheerful as well. All of our staff takes great pride in our facility and I believe it shows in the work they do each day.

Again, thank you for the kudos and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to serve you whenever your travels bring you through our doors.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

front desk personnel were fantastic, tried really hard to meet my needs. They appeared to be limited by upper management in obtaining an accurate TV channel guide, and if your rehabbing in a room TV is important. I could not believe that they did not have a useable, findable menu of a tv schedule on paper OR on there cable / or tv programmer for their rooms. Such a simple thing for such a big company to leave hanging in the air.

The staff were as frustrated as the customer. come on that's why you get the big bucks for the little stuff........ come on Holiday INN

Room Tip: Really don't have a good tip, just don't plan on a tv watching schedule
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Burlfish777:

Thank you for comments regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Comments such as yours are essential to the success of our hotel's operations.

First let me apologize for the lack of a useable television guide. I too would have been troubled had I checked into a hotel and not have a tv guide to locate my favorite channels. The good news is that we have remedied this issue. All guests room guides and televisions are programmed accordlingly making all of our future guests experiences more enjoyable.

Again, thank you for your comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you during your next visit to the Rochester area.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our family stayed here for 1 night. We reserved a room with 2 queen beds through the Holiday Inn Express reservation toll free number. Upon arrival we were told that there were no rooms available with 2 queen beds. Tara, the front desk person informed us that a King suite with a pull out couch was available. We had spent a long day on the road and took it. The room was very nice and the king bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was above average. We really like the walk-in shower. (No tub) We had to call down for sheets for the pull out couch and Tara delivered them within 5 minutes. The staff person at the breakfast (Tamera?) was hard working and friendly.
Even though we had a reservation mix up, I would stay here again. It is very new, has a great breakfast area, very comfortable beds and the staff treated us great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Comments such as yours are essential to the success of our hotel's operations. We are glad that your experience exceeded your expectations and will share your notes with our staff.

Again, thank you for your business and we look forward to the opportunity to host you if your travels bring you to our area again.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 3 1/2 weeks in June. My original plan had been to stay there for two weeks using Holiday Inn points but switch to another hotel for the middle week as I was not allowed to use points during that time. Once I walked into my room I knew I didn't want to switch: both because I loved the room and because the walk to my treatment building was so convenient. The hotel is very nice: bed was so comfortable, location is great, so easy to access other parts of the town, and the staff was friendly. The room setup made a long stay pretty tolerable. There is a "sitting area" with a couch and a table and chairs, there were a couple of cabinets for keeping food and eating utensils, and fridge and microwave made it possible to fix meals frequently. The fitness room was passable (an elliptical would be awesome!), breakfast was pretty good, and the pool and business center were nice. The view of St. Mary's and the downtown area was beautiful in the evening when the sun was setting.

As always, a few things could be improved. I took others advice and asked for a room on the parking lot side of the building to avoid highway noise. I heard people above me when the room was occupied, but traffic noise was not a problem. The bathrooms definitely need more light! The elevator was often dirty with spills on the floor and greasy/dirty handprints on the walls. The front desk was empty much of the time and it was a little uncomfortable either standing there waiting for someone to appear or calling out to see if anyone was there to help. Rates here seem a little high so, while I would love to stay here again for return trips that are scheduled, price will probably not allow me to. I can stay at another hotel with rooms that have full kitchens for quite a bit less.

Special kudos to Melanie at the front desk and Susana, my housekeeper, for being so friendly and caring! They delivered flowers to my room, asked how I was doing, helped with anything I needed, and even came to my room to say goodbye one day they thought that I was leaving.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester, West Medical. Your comments are an important part of the success of our hotel operations. We will use your comments to continue our efforts to improve and excel in all areas of guest services.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was very convenient and right off the interstate. Nice new hotel. Only wish was that they would have used a little more insulation to reduce the interstate traffic noise. Ask for a room on the east side of the building if possible. Breakfast lady was very nice and friendly. Even recognized us the 2nd morning.

• Stayed: June 2013
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. Your feedback is most important to the success of our hotel's operations. My staff and I use this valuable resource to help us to improve our work and to share to the world our desire to exceed all of our guests expecations.

I am very happy that our staff (especailly our breakfast personnel) was able to identify you on your second morning. Making connections with our guests are a valuable asset to the success of this property.

Again, thank you for your wonderful comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was the first time we stayed at this hotel while I had my appointments at the Mayo Clinic. Very nicely appointed, wonderful bedding (especially liked pillow choices), helpful staff. I especially want to comment on the young lady at the front desk who worked the first shift. She bent over backwards to answer my questions and help whenever possible. I wish I could remember her name. She went so far as to help me pack the flowers my son sent to the hotel for Mother's Day for the trip home. She was wonderful! Because this is a new hotel, they have a few glitches to work on. There is no HBO as advertised; the lighting in the bathrooms is so dark you have to go in the hall to put on makeup and the rooms facing the highway are noisy at night. But all in all, the best hotel we've stayed at in Rochester. A plus is that they now have the shuttle to Mayo. We really needed that. We will definitely be back for my 3 month followup at Mayo.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the opposite side from highway traffic.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Feedback such as yours is essential to the success of our hotel. We believe that our product is one thing, but the true success is measured by the people we have in place to operate the hotel. You mentioned the helpful staff and the extraordinary effort one of our team members exhibited during your stay. It is this type of service that we like to say sets us apart from other lodging choices here in Rochester.

You also mentioned a couple of items in which we are working to improve such as the HBO and lighting in our guest bathrooms. I want you to know that we are working toward resolving these issues as quickly as possible with our vendors and lighting experts.

Again, thank you for your great remarks and my staff and I look forward to hosting you on your next visit to the Rochester area.