Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at this facility. We unexpectedly had to go to Rochester for a medical emergency. This hotel is only 2 blocks from St. Mary's hospital so it was the prefect location for us. We could walk to the hospital very easily. We really enjoyed the breakfast: pancakes, hot cinnamon rolls, eggs, sausage, and biscuits. The only complaint I have is that we stayed on the side of the hotel that faces the highway and you could hear quiet a bit of road noise. So request the parking lot side if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rochester. Comments such as your's are essential to the success of our hotel's operations.

First, let me thank you for writing about how great our location is and our wonderful Express Start Breakfast. I have to admit our cinnamon rolls are very popular. Next, I want to thank you for also stating that light sleepers should request the parking lot side (east side) of the building. Our reservation agents will do their very best to accommodate.

Once again, thank you for your comments. My staff and I look forward to hosting you the next time your travel brings you through our doors.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice hotel in a good location. The hotel is newer, and very clean. My son came down with food poisoning from a nearby establishment (no names mentioned, but it rhymes with mild Phil's). He was not a very good aim and I had to call the front desk at 1 AM. Not only did the night manager run some towels up right away, but he also moved us to a new room. Needless to say, they came to our rescue in a very ugly situation. The hotel is in a good location, but could use a few more places to eat within walking distance as it has no restaurant. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating for our group.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Your comments regarding our night manager are an outstanding demonstration of great customer service and I'm proud to be a part of his team. There are many similar product offerings in Rochester and we know that it is our people that truly make the difference. We're glad you had a great stay based on the circumstances.

We will share your comments with our staff and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again if and when your travels bring you to Rochester.

Again, thank you for your comments,

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and were looking for a place to stay. This hotel has a lot of positives and only a couple of negatives. They understood we were going to the clinic and that our schedule could change. They were flexible with us by initially adding days to our stay and then allowing us to check out a day earlier when we found out we didn't need additional appointments. There is a breakfast every day as well as a pool and fitness room. The rooms were very clean (we had a king suite with a fridge and microwave) and the staff was very friendly. There is free heated underground parking and the hotel is right off of 52 and about a mile from the clinic. There are a number of restaurants within a couple miles from the hotel. While we drove to the clinic, the one drawback to this hotel is that they don't have a shuttle service to the clinic or a ticket to ride program. So if you are going to be at the clinic and won't be allowed to drive, this hotel probably won't work for you because, even though you can take a cab, the hotel doesn't have a policy where they will check on you to make sure you're okay if you've been sedated. The Holiday Inn downtown has both of these features but could be more expensive for what you get given parking and proximity to the clinic. Overall we had a great stay here from the free underground parking (it was below freezing when we visited) to the breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oliversacks1
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Your feedback is essential to the success of our operations and I thank you for sharing about many of our hotel's features.

One item you mentioned was that the hotel does not offer a shuttle service. I'm happy to report that as of April 1, the hotel has partnered with a local shuttle service to provide services from the hotel to St. Mary's, Methodist Hospitals and the Mayo Clinic - Gonda Building. Guests can inquire at the front desk for days and hours of operation.

Again, thank you for your great comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I were in Rochester for a Mayo Clinic appointment and stayed at this property. It is in an excellent location, walking distance to a wide array of restaurants and shopping. There is a microwave and fridge in the room and a very large HyVee supermarket close by. The rooms look very new and each pillow is labeled for its level of firmness, which was an interesting touch. The swimming pool and hot tub are pretty small, but the hot tub jets were powerful and the temperature very hot. There's a very interesting take out menu with over 29 restaurants to choose from and pretty speedy delivery. The television was a little bit tough to figure out, as there was no channel guide or menu for ordering movies. But the reception was good and lots of channels to choose from. There's a hot breakfast served 6am to 10am with waffles, eggs, pancakes, etc. The room has a coffee maker with single serving coffees. Our only real complaint was no shuttle to the Mayo Clinic. That would've been a good touch. Parking is free at the hotel, but if you're going to Mayo, you'll most likely have to pay for parking down there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

DSCHICK, thank you for your comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Comments such as yours are essential to the success of our hotel operations.

You noted that your only real complaint was that the hotel doesn't provide shuttle service to the Mayo Clinic. Well, we want you to know that we have been working very diligently on bringing this important feature to our hotel. In fact, so much so we're very excited to announce that beginning on April 1, 2013, the Holiday Inn Express & Suites will begin a partnership with a local shuttle service to begin to offer shuttle services between the hotel, St. Mary's Hospital, Methodist Hospital and the Mayo Clinic - Gonda buildings from 6:05am until 5:55pm during the weekdays.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you during your next visit to Rochester.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times. I love it. I usually come to Rochester once a month to see my daughter and her family. My three and five year old granddaughters love staying with me. Having a Cherry Berry right in the parking lot is a huge plus for them.

The first time I stayed at this hotel it had only been open a week. My nine year old grandaughter had forgotten her purse in the room. I had no idea until she told me she had a hundred dollars in her purse.

I called the hotel and they did find her purse behind a dresser. Well from then on this is the only hotel I will stay at when in Rochester.

Thank you again staff, especially Melanie.

Room Tip: love the suites. Plenty of room for little ones.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visits to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. We know there are many choices of lodging opportunitites in Rochester and we are very glad you consistently choose us over our competitors.

First let me thank you for mentioning Melany, our guest service manager as one of our outstanding team members. She consistently provides excellent leadership in customer service and works very hard to promote a sense of family to all of our guests.

Next, let me also rave about the great dining opportunities such as Toppers Pizza, Cousins Subs and Cherry Berry right in our parking lot. They have many tastey offerings.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were caught in the middle of a winter storm and forced to pull off the highway for the night. I used my phone to search for the closest IHG property and found this Holiday Inn Express. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a very friendly guest service representative who helped me make my last minute reservation. The room was wonderfully clean and quiet (despite being the closest room to the lobby & breakfast area), and we were able to get a great night's sleep. In the morning we were greeted by a delightful breakfast attendant who made sure that we had everything we wanted. On our way out, everyone wished us safe travels on the roads. The combination of a new property (it's less than two years old) and excellent staff make this a shining example of the Holiday Inn Express brand. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Your feedback is a valuable tool in assisting our staff to continue to exceed all of our guests expectations.

I want to thank you for sharing about our staff and their hospitality they presented to you at check in, breakfast and upon your departure from the hotel. I agree that each employee is a shining star and we will continue to keep up the great work.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

If your looking for a clean, nice and comfortable stay while in Rochester MN definitely go to the Holiday Inn Express!!! I could not be more pleased with this hotel. During my surgery at Mayo my husband stayed here. When I had complications with my surgery and ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks the staff worked wonderfully with my husband to extend his stay without any problems. We even had friends/family donate points for certain days and had to pay for other days and the staff had no issues getting this all processed for us despite how confusing it all was. When I was released from the hospital the doctors asked that I stay in town a few more days before flying home. I got to experience first hand the comfort of the bed, the cleanliness of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff. They even referred to my husband by his first name since he had been there so long and asked him every day how I was doing when he returned from visiting me in the hospital. Made us feel right at home. The underground parking was nice during the cold days and the continental breakfast was fantastic with tons of variety to choose from. Also there is a Cherry Berry, Cousins Subs, Toppers pizza and a credit union/atm all in the same lot in walking distance of the hotel. They also have guest washer and dryer and have soap you can buy at the front desk. This came in handy when my husband ended up having to stay longer when my hospital stay was extended. Will definitely stay here again if we return to Rochester.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor. There is a laundry room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Reading your review warms my heart and is something I will be sharing with our staff. Many times our guests visit our hotel with uncertainty about the length of their stay and I'm very happy we could accommodate you during your extended stay here in Rochester.

Next, I must admit that I too am an avid fan of Cherry Berry, Toppers Pizza, and Cousins Subs right in our parking lot. These dining opportunities offer a great variety of options for those staying longer periods to time.

Again, thank you for the kind words and the staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you on the occassion you find yourself in Rochester.