“Perfect location to St. Marys”

Aspen Suites Rochester
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Manhattan, Kansas
“Perfect location to St. Marys”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The washer and dryers were great, breakfast wonderful, and the employees made you feel at home. This is not a luxury hotel, but this was the perfect place for me for over a week while with my daughter at St. Mary's hospital.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anne3717

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed four nights here while my husband was at St. Mary's. Perfect location. The room was wonderful, great ventilation, comfy bed. It felt like home away from home. The breakfast was very good. And the room smelled clean and fresh when you walked in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BridgetMN
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

There were a few really nice things about this hotel: the parking garage below was a bonus- not parking in the city was great! The service was awesome... Very nice and helpful employees. The rooms were spacious, clean, and the beds were so comfy I slept in an extra hour and a half (whoops!... Not my fault!). Extra bonus: free body lotion... A girl's gotta stay moisturized. The only downside was we came to this city as a stop on our roadtrip... We had no clue that the entire area was a medical hub and catered to patients and their families. Definitely felt a little out of place... And felt weird about it, so just a heads up if you're not familiar with the town.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jjneek
San Rafael, California
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

You can't beat the location if you're going to St Mary's hospital, & with the coupon for $89 first night you can't beat the value either. So nice to be able to fix our own meals while recupeerating from surgery. They have a fairlt extensive library of free movies. It's either really new or very recently renovated because everything was like new. Ask for a room near thhe back, away from 2nd street & the hospital, for the most quiet, but we were street side & the noise didn't bother us. Hard to find anything to criticize. Hot breakfast was complimentary, & as expected for this type of hotel (not great but OK & too much styrofoam. Maid service on weekends is by request only, which is fine but then they should provide enough dishwasher soap to get you through the weekend, & a handy place to empty garbage. Overall a great experience.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at Aspen Suites for 5 nights. It is a wonderful location if you have someone in St.Marys Hospital. Literally right across the street. We had two types of rooms. One suite was one large room with full kitchen and king bed with a fold out couch. The other room had a full kitchen, living room with fold out couch, and a bedroom with 2 full sized beds and french doors.The breakfast was delicious every morning. Eggs, ham,bacon,sausage, delicious fresh fruit,yogurt, pastries, muffins, toast, bagels, cold cereal,waffles,juices and milk.
The lobby is very comfortable with couches , chairs, fireplace etc. There is a large outdoor patio with a huge grill and tables for guests to use. The rooms are large and clean. Very comfortable furniture. With the full kitchen it is a great place if you will be there for a while. We met people who had been there 6 weeks.
The front office was very helpful. There is a great restaurant the Canadian Honker right next door.They also have a game room and jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Get a 2 room suite if you are on an extended stay or have someone sleeping on the couch.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank julie s
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Before my first visit to Mayo Clinic I did a lot of research on lodging options. As I was traveling by myself I wanted to make sure that I was staying at a quality hotel. At the time Aspen was rated #1 on TripAdvisor. When I called to make my reservation they were very helpful and friendly and encouraged me to reserve extra nights (I was very glad about this as Mayo Clinic told me I would be there 3 days and I was there for a week). Their flexible policy on check-outs was a great help as I ended up spending one night at Mayo Clinic. My room was near the elevator and there was a lot of noise. It also seemed that it is not possible to close doors without slamming them as I heard loud noises even late into the night. I realized that the bedding was down and called the front desk to request down-free bedding. Based on the clerk's reaction you would have thought I was asking for silk sheets. I was initially told that the hotel does not have any down-free bedding. After I explained that I have a severe allergy to down she said she would see what they could do. A maintenance man came by a while later with a couple pillows (he was very nice). I put all of the down bedding on the other side of the room, but housekeeping never removed it. With the population that visits Mayo Clinic I can't imagine I am the only one that suffers from a down allergy, and the customer service was less than stellar. Certainly did not make me feel welcome on my first night. The second night I went to bed around 10:00pm and was hooked up to machines for an overnight monitoring test. Around 11:00pm I heard loud dripping. When I got up to investigate the ceiling in the bathroom was leaking - a lot - into the bathtub, onto the toilet. I called the front desk. It took almost a half hour for someone to come up. She verified it was leaking. Eventually she brought additional towels, but said there was nothing else she could do. She noted that it was clear that the ceiling had leaked before (it was VERY CLEAR that this was not a new problem). This entire event caused an approximately one hour disruption in my overnight monitoring. A work order was put in the next day, but due to weather they did not do the repair until the following day. There was no offer to adjust my room charge. On the upside, the breakfast was wonderful; lots of options and slight variations every day. The evening "reception" was also nice; several nights I was able to skip dinner and just have the nachos, chili, soup or other item of the day. Some of the front desk staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful. The laundry facilities were fine and the ability to buy detergent from the front desk was helpful. Shuttle to Mayo Clinic is convenient. Front desk held my bag after check-out and called me a cab to get to Mayo Clinic on the weekend. I checked out early and decided to stay at another hotel for my last night. For the price, I don't think I would stay here again. I have now stayed at a number of hotels in Rochester there are much better deals. If the customer service had lived up to my expectations I might have a different opinion.

Stayed May 2013
AspenManagement, General Manager at Aspen Suites Rochester, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast and convenient location - and I really appreciate that you took this time to share your concerns. What you experienced is not our standard and we will address all the points from the issues with your room to our bedding options with our staff immediately. I hope that you are well and will visit us again so we can exceed your expectations next time.
crystal
Reviewed July 13, 2013

DH and I stayed for 1 night using the Trip Advisor rate (Queen studio ONLY) and found the 2012 refurbished "suite only" hotel much like it was before it was refurbished. The hotel is clean, the room is spacious, and it is across the street from St. Mary's Hospital with shuttle service to the Mayo Clinic. The recliner in the living/sitting area is a very nice, welcome touch.

One jarring note was the minimal bath area: maybe 6x6 if that. Certainly not as nice as most 3 star hotels we have stayed at in Rochester, MN. There was no bath mat inside or outside the tub nor any grab bars which I certainly expected in a hotel which supposedly caters to Mayo Clinic visitors. The bathroom floor is tile and very slick when wet. Luckily there is a separate vanity area, so it was sufficient for us, but not up to par with what we expect from a pricey 3 star hotel

Unlike many reviewers, I did NOT find the desk staff especially cordial. I was told that they only have ONE disability accessible suite in the whole hotel. When I commented on the lack of bathroom grab bars, I was curtly informed that the suite was not a disability accessible suite. Many people visiting the Mayo clinic use wheel chairs, crutches, walkers, etc. That bathroom is not appropriate for anyone using those aids. Poor planning???

When I was checking out, there was a lengthy argument at the front desk. The woman had been informed of one rate and not informed that the second night of her stay would be charged at a much higher rate. (She had a fax indicating what the rate would be). The counter staff and she went around and around over the same information many, many times. Finally the counter person called the manager (no manager on duty) and reduced the 2nd night rate somewhat. Not good customer service for the $$$ involved, and left me with a less than good impression.

It was quite an unpleasant experience. ..... Lesson learned: Make absolutely certain that you have in writing what the rate will be for each night. We had a reservation for the following week and received many versions re what our rate/accommodations would be. We were even told by central booking that we had no reservation at the hotel (reservation made in June) during my many conversations with Aspen Suites representatives.

I felt that this hotel was only average for the Rochester area and customer service was bad... the worst I've experienced and I traveled all over the United States was major retailer for several years.

I cancelled our reservation for next week and happily booked at a hotel down the block. We have stayed there a number of times and know that it is nice and less expensive to get the 2 beds we needed.

If it weren't for the (teaser???) Trip Advisor rate for the first night I would not have been enticed to reserve at the Aspen Suites in the first place and certainly won't book there again ........ well, .... unless there is a good rate for the first night and we're only staying one night. Even then, I would check and check again that I've been given good information regarding the reservation before we check in.

Room Tip: Make doubly sure that you have in writing what your room rate and accommodations will be before you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CrystalDaytripper
AspenManagement, General Manager at Aspen Suites Rochester, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about the Aspen Suites Hotel. It is feedback like this that helps us to get better at situations like you experienced. We do have more handicap accessible rooms in the hotel - but only one with a walk-in shower; I believe that is what the Front Desk clerk was trying to explain. I am also sorry that you experienced the conversation with the rate discrepency - that conversation should have happened in a private office as it was dealing with a negotiated rate that had just changed. I am sorry that we do not provide bath mats - but I am going to look into this right away. We have never had a request for bath mats - but I agree it may be a nice amenity to provide. We value your business, appreciate your feedback and wish you well.