“And I thought BBQ was pricey in this town...”
Review of Hot Fish Shop - CLOSED

Hot Fish Shop
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Rochester, Minnesota
“And I thought BBQ was pricey in this town...”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Took a party of 8 to lunch last week... This place was recommended to us by a friend. There are no tables in the dining room that fit 8 comfortably, so we squeezed into half-booth/half-table in the corner. The atmosphere seems a bit wherehousey and open which wasn't awful but felt somewhat cold to me. Service was great, helpful and friendly. First clue-- didn't see a lunch menu and the special we were invited to consider was over $10.

We started out with an order of onion rings and to be honest, they were our favorite part of the meal.

They were out of "farm fries", no biggie and we found out later when we ordered that they were also out of scallops.

Two in our party ordered chicken tenders in a basket, the rest ordered fish. Two of us also shared a giant seafood sampler (sans scallops). I ordered a cod sandwich. All of us selected our fare batter-fried, except the salmon-patty sliders of course :). Maybe it was just a bad frier day, but the batter seemed to hold a lot of grease. Note to self: if there is a next time, check for breaded option. Food came served hot and fresh and tasted good. My cod fillet seemed small and skinny and was kinda awkward eating it in a square bun (which was delicious tho). My sandwich came only with tarter sauce and a lettuce leaf... I had my heart set on a few more fixin's.

Overall, we enjoyed our meal. But wait! I hadn't seen the check yet... Ouch $114 including tip for a lunch out. Hmmm if I had known lunch was going to cost me that much I would have insisted on Michaels, Victorias or Red Lobster :(

1 Thank Jeb6kids

Spring Valley, MN
“Great food as always”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I grew up going to the original HFS in Winona. We recently lost my dad, but my Mom and siblings and families ate here for mom and dads anniversary dinner without dad. We brought his picture with us and put it on the table since this was his favourite restaurant. The staff was friendly and accommodating and even brought my Mom a piece of chocolate cake for the anniversary. The batter is a bit greasy, but delicious and is dairy free if you have a dairy allergy. You can always take the batter off the fish if it bothers your tummy.

Try the onion rings!

• Visited February 2013
Kissimmee, Florida
“Best Fish in Rochester”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love to eat fish, so when I found Hot Fish I was hooked! I love the fish tacos! They are amazing and you get 3 fish tacos and then you pick one side. They also have the best onion rings! We love to get Cod or Walleye. You can get it fried or broiled. I highly recommend this place! The prices can’t be beat for the amount of food and the flavor!

• Visited November 2012
Minnesota
“Large Portions”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was our first time at the Hot Fish Shop. We enjoyed it very much. The service was good as was the food. The food is on the greasy side, so the baked potato was a nice healthy addition. It was one of the best baked potatoes that we've ever had. The portions are large. We could have split a meal.

• Visited October 2012
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“Not like the Good Ole Days!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Ever since 1948 I have been a regular customer of the Winona Hot Fish Shop. In this new location nothing tastes the way it did in the original location. The shrimp comes closest to the old way of doing things - but the walleye, tartar sauce, beets, french fries etc. are way off the mark. The same was true when the family attempted another location in Mendota a number of years ago!

Visited September 2012