“Fun and fabulous!!!”
Review of McGoon's Pub and Restaurant - CLOSED

McGoon's Pub and Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Description: Local pub & restaurant that prides itself on quality food, excellent service, and casual atmosphere.
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Great fish and chips and SUPER service!! Loved the FFAQ board!! Thanks for the fun afternoon!! Loved it!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Mark K, General Manager at McGoon's Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you so much for stopping in. We truly appreciate your business & good word. Hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had the peanut butter bacon cheese burger - fabulous!! Onion rings are great too. Service was top notch also.

1  Thank IowaBeachdreamer
Mark K, General Manager at McGoon's Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for the nice words! Also, thank you for trying something different.
Stop in anytime.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Tonight's evening of fun and laugh's was my first visit to this downtown location since it was O'Neill's Pizza Pub. In fact, until an invitation by friends for dinner and open mic night, I avoided going into the old place where we spent so much time waiting for Dan's heart transplant.

Walking in, it's hard to recognize the old place when I walked into McGoon's for dinner. A themed restaurant like Friday's down to the taxicab menus, it's a very friendly and cozy place to chat and drink. Limited drafts on tap and different from what is listed online. Something to be said for how a server pitches a tap list, ending with the "dark and bitter" Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale, which was the best on the list. It seemed obvious that he wasn't a fan of hops, but it's nice that they have at least one hoppy beer on tap for those of use of the persuasion. Oddly, in spite of having been to Lagunitas on vacation earlier this month, Undercover is as a draft is missing from my list. Sticking with Lagunitas for the night, the draft upstairs at Goonie's seemed a bit brighter than the tall I had downstairs. No specific problem I noticed; both were served just fine.

After finishing a very good dinner, we headed upstairs to Goonie's Comedy Club for open mic night. All stand up comedians, each on a tight time limit. An interesting mix of veteran comics with several on stage for the very first time. Going in with relatively low expectations (because I had no idea), I was pleasantly surprised by how often I laughed out loud. Most of the comics were good (or tolerable) and only a few that I would have been a good opportunity to get a drink, especially since there's no cover. A diverse crowd trickled in through the show until nearly full at the end and seemed quite merry.

Greek Veggie Wrap and potato salad
I found the night interesting, not just for the laughs, but to see the developing skill of each of the comedians as writers, especially the younger performers just starting out. I half-jokingly credit much of I initial knowledge of writing from my days as a bouncer during Comedy Caravan at Nick's, a nightclub on the levee at Purdue. Bored at my post since no one fights when drinking Long Island Ice Tea for a $1.75 while listening to top comics on the circuit from New York to LA. As a communications major, I took the time to analyze the structure of humor, much of which ended up in my "writing buddy" format that I use to teach freshmen. Tonight's open mic night was a flip side of this old practice by seeing budding comics as opposed to the professionals at Nick's.

McGoon's and Goonie's is an amusing diversion with good beer and food and more than a few laughs for a Thursday cheap date night, plus I would be optimistic that the full weekend comedy shows would be worth the price of admission. While I was slightly disconcerted underneath from my personal history with the space, it was a great time that helped me erase ghosts of my past. While not a beer bar per se, there's a couple good drafts to while away an evening with in good humor, upstairs or down.

Pictures at http://pintsizedrevelations.blogspot.com/2013/07/mcgoons-taxi-co-rochester-mn.html.

Mark K, General Manager at McGoon's Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Glad you enjoyed the food, drinks and laughter here at McGoon's. Thank you for your average rating..?
We appreciate your business.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stopped in here for lunch during our visit to Mayo Clinic. The reviews looked promising, so we decided to give it a try.

It had very much of a bar feel, which my wife and I didn't mind. Despite the good reviews on Yelp, less than half of the tables were taken at lunch. They had about 6 decent craft beers on tap with one local tap (Bad Weather brewing).

I ordered the taco salad with chicken, which was very good, and was a pretty large portion size. My wife ordered the special, which was some sort of chicken basil grilled cheese. It was very good and rich in flavor. The server was nice and checked on us a few times.

Overall, it didn't seem very busy or lively, but the food was good and reasonably priced.

Mark K, General Manager at McGoon's Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thanks for stopping in and I'm glad you both enjoyed your meals. FYI, our Monday lunches usually encompass a live performance by The Rolling Stones and fireworks, but do to powers beyond our control, we had to cancel at the last minute. :-)
Thank you for coming and we hope to see you again.
- Mark Klampe GM

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

The chicken quesadillas were awesome. Pack to the hilt with chicken and veggies. The signs in the bar were just too funny. Really enjoyed a appetizer and drinks. Service, really personable and awesome.

Mark K, General Manager at McGoon's Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. We are a small, local pub that strides to shock people with our quality of food, drinks, and service. Please stop in anytime you are in town.
Mark Klampe GM