“Great Price and Great Location for Lengthy Stay”

Extended Stay America - Rochester - South
Ranked #36 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Missouri
“Great Price and Great Location for Lengthy Stay”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for about 10 nights while undergoing treatment at that Mayo clinic. It was a little tricky to get to at first and my Garmin was pretty confused by its location, but I finally figured it out and once I did getting to and from the hotel was fine. The staff was very friendly. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was large. I liked the fact that unlike most other hotels....the sink was actually in the bathroom and not outside. Kitchenette is perfect !!! It has two burners, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, and FULL refridgerator! They don't serve breakfast but you can save a whole lot of money by bringing your own food and making it in the kitchen. The hotel was very quiet except during my third night. I think an overweight person was upstairs as I could hear the person walking back and forth. The A/C is pretty noisy but after the first night I got used to it. Beds are VERY, VERY hard. My body got used to it after the second night. Also, I went to the desk to request extra blankets....I then folded the blankets in half to make the bed more soft. It worked out fine for me. There are two desk areas...that was nice too....I had room to work. Overall, considering that I only paid $39.99 a night (weekly rate), I really can't complain. It is within minutes to the mall, Mayo clinic, Soldier Field Pool, ect.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank signgirl79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Texas
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The hotel itself is very clean and my room was very comfortable. The bed was okay, a little firm, but still comfortable for me. My only complaints were the window heater/air conditioner was somewhat noisy and the bathroom fan was loud; the fan is linked to the bathroom light so the fan runs anytime the light is on. The internet speed was good (one time $4.99 fee) and the room was very quiet; even though there was a main road out my back window I couldn't hear the traffic noise at all. I liked the convenience of the small kitchenette though I didn't use it as much as I expected. The room was a nice size and had two desk areas. I liked the extra space as I stayed for a week and didn't feel cooped up. Nice hotel for a decent price.

This hotel is a bit far from the Mayo Clinic area and the shuttle makes stops at all the other hotels first, so if you're taking the shuttle to the Clinic plan on extra travel time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank MedinaLakeGirl
durham, nc
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Summary Statement:
The facility is just what it advertises, an efficient, low cost, self-catering hotel that provides quiet accommodations in a very convenient location. Recommended for anyone spending several days in Rochester, perhaps attending the Mayo Clinic. Room cleaning is provided for those staying one week or more; otherwise, there is no room service. Food delivery is available. No breakfast.

Location:
Pros:
About 10 minutes south of downtown and the Mayo Clinic near the intersection of Routes 52 and 63. About 5 minutes from Super Target and Super Walmart. Very convenient to the clinic as well as shopping for food supplies, etc.
Cons:
Our GPS system was able to bring us within sight of the hotel but was unable to negotiate the correct exit and all the turns. The hotel staff navigated us in by telephone.

Facility:
Pros:
Efficiency studio with kitchenette consisting of two burner stove top, refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, oaster, plates, basic cookpots, tableware, and glassware. Location near Super Walmart and Super Target made grocery shopping very convenient. Free shuttle to the Mayo Clinic throughout the day. The beds are very hard; but we like hard beds so this was no problem. The AC unit fan runs all the time so this masks what little ambient noise there is. The hotel is VERY quiet. For those who bring laptops wireless, internet is available at a mall one time cost and the front desk will print documents (up to 5 pages free) that are e-mailed to them. We e-mailed our boarding passes to them and they were able to print them out at no charge. The room was very
clean, everything was in its place. There was no overwhelming odor of cleaning fluids.
Cons:
Television was small and had no facilities for auxiliary inputs. If you bring your own dvd/vcr player, be sure to bring an RF adaptor to plug into the antenna terminal. The AC compressor became a little loud during out stay.

Check-In/Check-Out:
Very efficient and courteous. The front desk called a few minutes after check-in to inquire if everything was all right. It was. Check-out was fast and efficient.

Recommended Highly.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank exaramco
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Stayed here one night while visiting the Mayo for some doctors appointments.

The check-in lady was very nice and had us checked-in in about 5-10 minutes. The room was okay. We were given a double room. Having a full kitchen is nice. Bathroom okay. Beds were very very hard and I had a terrible time sleeping. It was pretty clean but I am always hesitant in rooms with shiny icky bedspreads. The room had a smell, can't put a finger on what the smell was. The walls and floors are thin. You can hear the people walking above you. Not something you like to listen to as you try to fall asleep.

Its about 3+ miles down 52 from the Mayo exit. I know that it is only a few miles but everything we wanted to go to was on 2nd.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. We usually stay at better hotels than these but there was a huge convention in town and all our hotels were booked. We decided to gamble with Priceline. The 1-star hotels they had listed where pretty well rated so we tried a 1-star hotel and our price was accepted and we were 'upgraded' to a 2-star hotel that was much lower rated on here. :( Oh well, thats the gamble you take with priceline.

It is an extended stay so that might be part of why we didnt like it. If you like very hard beds, I could see how this place might have to work if you had to stay in Rochester for an extended amount of time. The TV is smaller than most hotel TVs. Lots of hanging space but not enclosed in a closet. The kitchen includes a microwave, full fridge and 2 electric burners. 2 sets of dishes and 2 pots are stocked as well. Id bring my own bedding and pillows if possible.

Its up to you, but I wouldn't recommend this place. I saw better places online for a longerterm stay (we were looking for that at one point a few months ago)

• Liked — kitchen
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northbrook, IL
Reviewed July 1, 2008

This is a new facility on a portion of road not on our map so a little hard to find. The room was extra large with a King bed, kitchen and good-sized bathroom. Everything seemed new and very clean. We were there only one night and paid about $70.00.

This isn't really ideal for a single night as they don't provide amenities such as shampoo or hair dryer (just soap and towels). And no morning breakfast, but there are restaurants nearby (we drove to Dennys or Perkins).

It isn't really ideal for an extended stay either. While there is a full kitchen with cookware and dishware for two, you have to bring everything else from dish detergent to paper towels to salt and pepper. I suppose most people would just microwave some meals or bring in cereal and toast for breakfast.

• Liked — spacious clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — No breakfast available.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ed60062
Hiawatha National Forest
Reviewed May 7, 2007

A great value. $39 per night if you stay a week. Great for me as I had a week of treatment at the Mayo Clinic. Big refrigerator and adequate kitchen. Nice recliner chair. Good free shuttle service to the clinics with just one intermediate stop at one more hotel.

Have heard some complaints that mattresses are too hard. Just right for me as I am used to a firmer mattress. On my previous visit to the clinic I stayed at the $100 per night Grand Kaylor Hotel. Mattress was harder there.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Only one comfortable chair, so not real ideal for two or more people
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank HiawathaGary
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Bed was extreemly hard. We had to run to the local Shopko and buy a foam mattress pad just to make it through the three days we were there. Had to ask for extra pillows. (No charge, thank goodness.) For a priceline[-] price of 36 dollars a night (plus taxes) this was a place to take a shower, drink some coffee and store your stuff. Bring your own shampoo, soap, dishwashing soap and coffee/filters. You might even want to bring an air mattress and just sleep on the floor.

Also be sure to bring your confirmations with you. There was an issue with priceline and the hotel and the staff (although they are very nice).

Upon check out we were asked about our stay. Told them about the hard beds and the comment was "yes, we get that a lot."

• Stayed June 2006