“Excellent place to stay in Rochester MN”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband, son and I stayed at the hotel while attending appointments at the Mayo Clinic. The staff was very helpful, friendly and courteous. The hotel was clean as were the rooms and bathrooms. We were very pleased and would stay here again if we return to Rochester MN.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, MN. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I was in Rochester for business with a colleague and could not fly to Minneapolis because of severe weather for 24 hours. Flight cancelled, we were directed to this hotel. They were great! They even paid for our cab fare from the airport and back the next day. The staff were very nice and courteous - and helped with all things we needed. My room did have a small place on one wall that had water stains, and the living room did not cool off well, but I spent very little time in the room so no matter. The wall cooling unit in the bedroom was great and had remote control! Everything else worked well and the room was clean.
And they had both Coke and Pepsi vending machines. Staying downtown for 3 nights before, I couldn't find a Coke vending machine anywhere! Sp, this was nice!
Breakfast was great - a full buffet of hot eggs, sausage, and many other options. Plus good coffee. As a person who needs protein and not carbs and sugar, I really appreciated this.
It was also fairly close to the airport, which was helpful.
The cost was VERY reasonable too!
There was only one restaurant nearby but it was good. It was a bit longer walk than we expected (and with a bad back was a little taxing) and we had concerns about safety walking back in the dark as there were no sidewalks. But the road was lighted and we were careful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that our staff were accommomodating. I realize that you were not anticipating to stay overnight in Rochester, but I am so happy you choose to stay with us. I hope you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending appointments at the Mayo clinic. My husband stayed with me.

The room was fine, but as others have mentioned, it is in need of updating. The mattress was not as comfortable as other hotels I've stayed at in this chain. Also the couch had some wear and the shower leaked. That being said, I'm particular about where I stay and I would go back to this hotel.

The pool was a bit cool and since I have pain issues, I did take advantage of the hot tub. I would have preferred a warmer pool to do my water exercises. In part, I did chose this hotel because it had a pool.

The hotel did send out a questionaire after my stay so I felt that they are working on making changes as needed.

These problems were minor in comparison to other ammenities. After a long day at the clinics, it was nice to come back to coffee or other warm beverages and a jar of cookies and a bowl of fruit. Breakfast was wonderful with all the healthy alternatives as well as some yummy wafles, bacon and other hot breakfast items, including scrambled eggs and omlets. The menu varied slightly each day.

The staff was wonderful. Any issues with the room were promptly addressed. The young man who cleaned our room each day made sure we had enough of anything he could offer from his housekeeping cart. He was so kind.

The breakfast staff was always on top of things, and made sure we had ample choices to start our day. If someone asked for something extra; for example, someone asked about salsa for their omlet and the hostess went back into the kitchen and found some! They were so caring of everyone who came in.

As many of the guests are there for clinic visits or spending time with friends or family who are hospitalized, you can imagine that for some it is a very trying time. One morning in particular I saw a gentleman talking with the desk staff. She was so kind! He started to get teary and apologized for his tears. She right away assured him that he had nothing to apologize for because he was sick and had a right to feel the way he did. I just have to say kudos to whoever hired the people who work there. They certainly knew how to treat guests well.

I will also add that this hotel has shuttle service to and from the clinics which were great! Staying at the south end of town we were not very close to the clinics and hospitals but our shuttle drivers made sure we got to where we needed on time and exactly where we needed to be. Again, I can't say enough good about the folks that were there to make sure our stay was as worry-free and comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: I was glad I upgraded to a suite. Being there for a week, it gave us more room and my husband could...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vicki N
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, MN. We value your comments about your stay, we are looking forward to begin the renovation later this year to all of our guest rooms. I am so pleased to hear that the staff excedeed your expectations. We would love for you to stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have been staying at this property on a off for the past couple of years and as can be concluded
I am satisfied with my experiences staying there. Staff is always helpful and friendly. Checking in and out is fast an efficient. Rooms have always been clean. Bedding and towels more than acceptable. Spa area has always been clean and well stocked. Breakfast is better than provided
by most in this price range. I would agree with others who have reviewed this property that it is getting close to the time when updating needs to occur but since I am a rather picky person and keep returning, I feel comfortable recommending it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester, South. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, we value your comments so that we can make improvements in areas needed. I hope you will continue to stay with us if your travels bring you back to our area again.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

On a night before Mayo visit we had occasion to stay and our experience was fine.Clean room,comfortable linens and bedding;adequate accommodation. A few updates are in order. The bathroom needs updating with immediate addtion of handle in shower for us in the advancing age group who occasionally need something to steady ourselves;these are standard most places now and are very helpful--maybe necessary. New bath fixtures called for-sink,toilet,and we prefer higher sink.
The king suite was very nice,yet the furniture needs restoration or replacement.
Early breakfast was great, if typical selection for this level of accomodation.Though staff very attentive to replacement needs and cleaning up after each group finished. Too bad eggs cannot be served hot.
Overall, I'd say you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: One side does face a heavily traveled four lane,so recommend seeking room in front of building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites, Rochester South. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay during your recent visit to the Mayo Clinic. We appreciate your feedback so that we can make improvements in areas needed. We hope you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Usually when we go to Rochester, it involves the Mayo Clinic. The experience at Mayo can be stressful, not because of Mayo, but because of the reasons we go to Mayo. Not only is Mayo a top notch facility, Country Inn & Suites ranks right up there with Mayo when it comes to "customer" care.

The entire staff is absolutely the best. They are friendly, caring and do whatever it takes to ease the stress of Mayo patients. There is no other place we would rather stay. The friendly greetings as you come and go from the motel to the Clinic are reassuring, soothing and meaningful.

The managers and office staff, housekeepers and the continental breakfast staff are the best. The rooms are kept clean, and they respond to the requests of guests promptly , efficiently and courteously.

Fred and Joanne Anderson

Room Tip: Call the front desk and explain your situation before making a reservation. If there is anything th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Rocsouth, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

At the Country Inn and Suites Rochester - South, MN we aim to please, and the guest is our first priority. Thank you for choosing us on your recent Mayo Clinic trip and we look forward to serving you and others when visiting Rochester. It is our pleasure to be of service to you and we appreciate your kind reply. We wish everyone happy travels and good health.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I stayed at the property for two nights, on a recent business trip. Staff was very friendly and helpfull . The property appears quite old and dated. Rooms were clean and the breakfast was very good. It is great to have free internet access and at a good speed as well.
The rate per night was also very good and we saved quite a bit of money vs. other similat properties.

That being said, the room was very noisy due to the highway traffic, as the hotel is very close to the highway. During one of the nights, I tried to sleep with the window open and even with earplugs I could still hear the highway noise. With the window closed the room was very hot, and there was no A/C as it is just March ....( actually I did not even try to use the A/C)

Getting to the hotel can be a bit tricky if you do not carry a GPS.

If highway noise is not an issue for you this is a great property. For me the noise is a reason why I will not return to this property.

Room Tip: close proximity to the highway is a big concern
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I would like to apologize about the noise level from the highway kept you from getting a good night's rest. I can certainly understand your concerns regarding this issue, we would certainly reserve you a room in a quiter area if you would choose to stay with us again on a future visit. I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.