“Had some good points”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This was our first stay at the Country Inn and Suites. Good points: Room was clean, the housekeeping staff went out of there way to say hello and thank us for our stay (was kind of nice), it had a nice breakfast area with waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit muffins etc. in the morning, It also had cookies, coffee and fruit during the day and night. The lobby was freh and inviting, they are going for a country feel here. They had a pool, hot tub and work out room but I didn't get to use but did check it out and it looked nice. The room had a small fridge and Microwave. The location is near airport, shopping, movie theater but not by walking. Minor Negatives: It is located on a frontage road and not easy to find for 'newbies" the location is around many popular shopping sites (Target, Shopco, Bedbath, Sport Authority etc.) but one must have a vehicle to get there (or be very brave) There is no restaurant near the hotel but there is a service that will deliver you anything you may wish to order (there were flyers in the lobby near elevators) Room smelt nice but for those who have issues with strong smells this might cause problems BUT you can open the window and within a short few minutes it was clear. the beds were HARD but the hubby loves hard beds---the pillows were nice but feather (I love) but hubby is allergic to down. But this was minor and still was a good nights stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Rocsouth, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, MN. I appreciate your feedback so that we can make improvements in areas needed. I hope you will consider to stay with us if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

I stayed here with a relative going to Mayo, selecting this hotel because it had the option of adjoining rooms. Front desk staff were reliably friendly and helpful to me in navigating this first trip to Mayo, whether by shuttle or driving. When I checked out one day only to discover late that afternoon that we would need an additional day of appointments, I returned to the hotel. Although they had no adjoining rooms left--in fact, no rooms anywhere near one another--I requested a suite to allow each of us some privacy, and the staff handled my request as a free upgrade, a welcome savings and a warm gesture. ... Rooms were clean, typical of the franchise; breakfast was basic but did include protein even though it lacked the whole grain I seek out; location was a bit distant but easy to track from mapping programs.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 0vernight0nTheRoad
Rocsouth, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I am pleased to hear that the staff met your expectations and that we were able to accommodate on your second visit. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

My with and I stayed there when our Mayo trip was extended by one day. We found the hotel to be clean, modern, and up to our expectations for a Country Inn & Suites.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Rocsouth, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2011

Dear John,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate hearing our guest's comments. We hope to see you back if your travels bring you back to our area.

Country Inn & Suites Rochester South

Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here one night and enjoyed it. The lobby is very nice, with a wide stairway up to the second floor (I like to take the stairs). They had free cookies in the lobby, and they were delicious. The room had windows you can open, so I was able to let in some fresh air. Room was clean and spacious. Guy at the front desk was helpful. I took a walk after spending all day in the car and felt safe in the neighborhood, even at 11 p.m. Beds were comfortable and the free breakfast above average. Room had a microwave and fridge, and the wifi and TV worked well.
Our only problem was in figuring out how to get to the hotel. Be sure to get off at 40th Street.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you had a great stay and we appreciate your comments. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Country Inn & Suites
Rochester, MN

Reviewed May 21, 2011

The good: Free shuttle to Mayo, Pool is open 24/7. The Bad: There wasn't anything especially bad.
This hotel is located on what is essentially a "frontage" road, and getting there isn't exactly self explanatory. The walls in our room were scuffed and just a little dirty in spots. The beds in our room were not as comfy as we have come to expect from this hotel chain, and did negatively impact our sleep quality. The staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful, and other than the scuffs/dirty areas on the walls, the housekeeping staff did a nice job.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terrible_Tim

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for submitting your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize that it is a little difficult to get to us with the new construction done in our area as well as the beds in your guest room were not to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback so that we may make improvements in areas needed. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed December 26, 2010

went home for the holidays with our newborn to see the grandparents. we had stayed at this hotel in the past with satisfactory ratings and had recommended to others. however, returning after two years we had found the rooms to be out dated with worn furniture and thread bear linings. First night our fitted sheet came untucked and found myself face to face with a hotel mattress in the morning. that morning we had an early wake up from house keeping ~800 am informing us that it was christmas and wondered if we needed our room cleaned. feeling bad I just asked for a "new" fitted sheet and towels, unfortunately with the same results from the sheet the following morning. to avoid another early morning wake up, we had placed our dnd sign out and had called for a late check out which the front desk had said was not a problem. however the same incident occurred, with the housekeeper stating that many guests forget to remove these after check out. after informing them of our calling the front desk and having a late check out approved they returned twice during this time to see if we had checked out. overall not a bad place to stay if they updated there amenities but house keeping staff was too over bearing. also, at no fault of theirs the city moved the off ramp to the hotel and now you are required to travel to an off ramp and then return on a frontage road to their location.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My daughter and I were in Rochester, as she had to have surgery. I made reservations at the Country Inn since I had heard nice things about this hotel chain. Unfortunately, I committed myself to a week using airline miles, which is the only reason I stayed more than one night. And, thankfully, I ended up spending most nights at the hospital with my daughter. The beds were super hard and very uncomfortable. I had to see a chiropractor the 3rd day.
The room was not very clean; the tv and cupboard were quite dusty so I ended up wiping down most things; the refrigerator had things spilled in it; there were dust bunnies and a dead bug behind the dresser (and I only noticed that because the waste basket was located right next to it); there was a small clear candy wrapper on the landing going to the lobby that was there for 3 days - I don't know how long it was still there, as I had checked out by then. There was only one desk staff member that was friendly, and we only saw him twice. Everyone else seemed to look away or down whenever we walked through the lobby. There were no friendly greetings, no eye contact, nothing.
Gee, I wish I had thought to take photos!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2010

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to heat that you had concerns regarding the cleanliness of your guest room and public areas of the hotel. I appreciate your comments so that we can make improvements in areas needed. I hope that you will consider to stay with us on a future visit if your travels bring you back to our area.

Country Inn & Suites