“clean and comfortable”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Sycamore, Illinois
“clean and comfortable”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My with and I stayed there when our Mayo trip was extended by one day. We found the hotel to be clean, modern, and up to our expectations for a Country Inn & Suites.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Rocsouth, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear John,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate hearing our guest's comments. We hope to see you back if your travels bring you back to our area.

Country Inn & Suites Rochester South

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here one night and enjoyed it. The lobby is very nice, with a wide stairway up to the second floor (I like to take the stairs). They had free cookies in the lobby, and they were delicious. The room had windows you can open, so I was able to let in some fresh air. Room was clean and spacious. Guy at the front desk was helpful. I took a walk after spending all day in the car and felt safe in the neighborhood, even at 11 p.m. Beds were comfortable and the free breakfast above average. Room had a microwave and fridge, and the wifi and TV worked well.
Our only problem was in figuring out how to get to the hotel. Be sure to get off at 40th Street.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you had a great stay and we appreciate your comments. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Rochester, MN
Fishersville, Virginia
Reviewed May 21, 2011

The good: Free shuttle to Mayo, Pool is open 24/7. The Bad: There wasn't anything especially bad.
This hotel is located on what is essentially a "frontage" road, and getting there isn't exactly self explanatory. The walls in our room were scuffed and just a little dirty in spots. The beds in our room were not as comfy as we have come to expect from this hotel chain, and did negatively impact our sleep quality. The staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful, and other than the scuffs/dirty areas on the walls, the housekeeping staff did a nice job.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terrible_Tim
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for submitting your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize that it is a little difficult to get to us with the new construction done in our area as well as the beds in your guest room were not to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback so that we may make improvements in areas needed. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 26, 2010

went home for the holidays with our newborn to see the grandparents. we had stayed at this hotel in the past with satisfactory ratings and had recommended to others. however, returning after two years we had found the rooms to be out dated with worn furniture and thread bear linings. First night our fitted sheet came untucked and found myself face to face with a hotel mattress in the morning. that morning we had an early wake up from house keeping ~800 am informing us that it was christmas and wondered if we needed our room cleaned. feeling bad I just asked for a "new" fitted sheet and towels, unfortunately with the same results from the sheet the following morning. to avoid another early morning wake up, we had placed our dnd sign out and had called for a late check out which the front desk had said was not a problem. however the same incident occurred, with the housekeeper stating that many guests forget to remove these after check out. after informing them of our calling the front desk and having a late check out approved they returned twice during this time to see if we had checked out. overall not a bad place to stay if they updated there amenities but house keeping staff was too over bearing. also, at no fault of theirs the city moved the off ramp to the hotel and now you are required to travel to an off ramp and then return on a frontage road to their location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My daughter and I were in Rochester, as she had to have surgery. I made reservations at the Country Inn since I had heard nice things about this hotel chain. Unfortunately, I committed myself to a week using airline miles, which is the only reason I stayed more than one night. And, thankfully, I ended up spending most nights at the hospital with my daughter. The beds were super hard and very uncomfortable. I had to see a chiropractor the 3rd day.
The room was not very clean; the tv and cupboard were quite dusty so I ended up wiping down most things; the refrigerator had things spilled in it; there were dust bunnies and a dead bug behind the dresser (and I only noticed that because the waste basket was located right next to it); there was a small clear candy wrapper on the landing going to the lobby that was there for 3 days - I don't know how long it was still there, as I had checked out by then. There was only one desk staff member that was friendly, and we only saw him twice. Everyone else seemed to look away or down whenever we walked through the lobby. There were no friendly greetings, no eye contact, nothing.
Gee, I wish I had thought to take photos!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to heat that you had concerns regarding the cleanliness of your guest room and public areas of the hotel. I appreciate your comments so that we can make improvements in areas needed. I hope that you will consider to stay with us on a future visit if your travels bring you back to our area.

Michelle Steffl
77 Woodlake Drive SE
Rochester, MN 55904
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed November 14, 2010

The rooms were spacious but not terribly clean and unchanged since the 80s. Breakfast was acceptable. The front desk staff was very friendly. We got a great deal on the room by bidding.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that their were concerns regarding the cleanliness and condition of your guest room. I appreciate your feedback so that we can make improvments in areas needed, I hope you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Sincerly,
Michelle Steffl
77 Woodlake Drive SE
Rochester, MN 55904
Minnesota
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Everytime my Husband and I travel to Rochester to go to Mayo, we stay at this location. The service is great. Everyone is so friendly. The hotel is clean and attractive. Love the curved shower rods! Breakfast was awesome! All the people working at the desk were always helpfu. You helped to make a terrible situation better.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business