“Pretty nice, parking is two blocks away”

Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Pretty nice, parking is two blocks away”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have no real complaints with this hotel except the parking is two blocks away in a public ramp, which would be very problematic in a Minnesota winter. The beds were very very nice, the room was clean, the staff was nice. The breakfast is not free.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear SheWhoTravels: Thank you for your post. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please for your next visit with us, have your car valeted. It is the same cost to valet as it is to self park for the very reason that you mentioned in your post. We have limited flat lot parking behind the hotel, so please utilize the valet service. If your travels bring you back to Rochester, we hope that you will stay with us again. If you would need anything else, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Deb Knox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Turkish first
Eau Claire WI
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is a very nice, newer, clean facility. There is every amenity for the business traveler. Quiet spacious rooms, bar & grille in the lobby, nice pool and workout room. There is a mini-grocery in the lobby with some salads and sandwiches and other items that you can prepare there or in your room. Only downfall I noticed was a very limited room service menu. Breakfast is served in the lobby, but is an extra charge and seemed expensive to me. The price for the room was a little on the high side, but I knew that I could expect a good stay. They have free town car service, which I took advantage of as I was late to a meeting. Generally a nice stay, quiet and relaxing, just what I needed.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mcbarkr
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear mcbarkr: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our Hilton Garden Inn. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will choose us in the future. I have sent your post over to the General Manager and the Chef for the comments about the breakfast and room service. They will review them.
Again, thank you for your feedback. If there is anything else that we can assist you with, please email me directly at deb.knox@hilton.com
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was here for 5 nights this trip, and I must say it was great experience. The staff at this hotel understands what customer service is! I can't say I walked through the lobby once without someone greeting me and asking me if I needed anything. Of special note was Dylan who drove me to the mall. He gave me his personal recommendations for where to eat dinner and even suggested his favorites at each restaurant. And then there is the wonderful, energetic, smiling Marlene who greeted me every morning at breakfast. What a bundle of joy and happiness! Thank you everyone for making my stay wonderful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kim J
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Kim J ~ Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our Hilton Garden Inn. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would love to have you stay with us again when in Rochester. If there would be anything else that we can provide to you to make your stay even better, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Our stay here could not have been better. Our daughter was released from the hospital after undergoing major surgery for cancer at age 26. Our room was always spotless, staff ensured we had everything we needed, the fresh made common rolls and made to order breakfast was delicious. As someone who travels throughout the year in their job, I am in a hotel at least once a week per month at a minimum. This hotel and staff is top notch! The staff made this very difficult time, easier through their many acts of kindheartedness. Words cannot convey my sincere gratitude or how much this has meant to us during this very difficult time. I would highly recommend this hotel to my family and friends. Donna

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank donnaa346
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear Donna A: Thank you very much for your posting. I am so glad to hear that during this very difficult time for your family, our staff was able to help. I am also glad to hear that you found everything that you needed during your stay above satisfactory. If you need to return to the Mayo Clinic and the Rochester area, I hope you will choose to stay with us again. If you would need anything prior to your arrival, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com so that we can have your room prepared ahead of time. Thank you again!
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Overall, our stay at the HGI was pleasant. The room was sufficient (although I thought the bed was uncomfortable, but my wife did not), staff friendly and the property was clean. My main issue was the price. Not only was the room over-priced, but they also charge for parking. This is Rochester, MN! Parking should be free. If I'm back in Rochester again, I would most likely stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Londonwpr: Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel. I am glad to hear that our hotel met your needs during your time in Rochester, but I am very sorry to hear that you didn't feel that our hotel was a value for the money spent. I have sent over your comments to our General Manager and our Director of Revenue Management. If there is anything additional that you would like to discuss, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I visit the Mayo Clinic several times each year for work and being a Hilton HHonors member I had been alternating between the DoubleTree Rochester Downtown (I think they're under the same ownership/management) but lately the HGI has been getting all of my business.

The rooms are pretty standard Hilton Garden Inn rooms (though the Junior Suites are a good value to get some extra space for longer stays -- note though that there's no door connecting the "Bedroom" area from the "Living Room")

Parking can be tricky, but I've never had a problem either getting lucky with a spot in the small parking lot behind the hotel or on the 3rd Street Ramp just down the block (valet is the same as self parking which is also an easy option)

The two fantastic attributes that make this property stand out are proximity and staff.

For proximity there's a direct skyway connection to the Mayo Clinic buildings and access to the Mayo complex's subway tunnels as well -- great for inclement weather. There are a plethora restaurants within a quick walk of the hotel, including Newt's bar, where Marvin's Burger is one of the best bugers I've found in my travels; it's not unusal for me to order it two or three days in a row.

For staff, across all of my stays I've only really had two problems, both of them have been quickly attended to by Dylon (someone certiainly dedicated to customer service and very personable as well) and the Assistant General Manager whos name escapes me at the moment. Though problems are never a good thing, it's great to know that if there is one you're in good hands.

Room Tip: 2nd floor north end for Skyway access; the West side of the hotel faces the Mayo complex and is a bi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lincolnjkc
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear lincolnjkc: Thank you very much for posting your comments for the Hilton Garden Inn. Yes, the DoubleTree and the Hilton Garden are under the same managment team. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed time at both hotels. If you would need anything prior to another return to Rochester, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. We look forward to seeing you again at either of our hotels.
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This hotel has everything you need, provided at a basic level. It is comfortable without being plush. There's no sense of luxury but you will have no complaints either. Slept beautifully in their special beds and pillows, despite considerable jet lag. Free internet access throughout my stay. No in-house restaurant but very conveniently located with an excellent range and choice of restaurants on your doorstep. Bar staff are welcoming and they have regulars who go there who are not hotel residents. Skyways into the Mayo clinic mean weather won't bother you so you could leave your coat behind!

Room Tip: If you like light ask for a front facing room. If you need quiet ask for a rear facing room. Or fo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Foodlover0769
Dear Foodlover0769: Thank you very much for your post on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that we were your choice for lodging during your time in Rochester. I hope that we will be your choice again should you return to our area. If you should need anything prior to your return, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you again!