“Excellent stay, great service and location”

Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“Excellent stay, great service and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I travel to Rochester, MN very atleast four times a year for work. While there are a lot of great hotels in the area to stay, I always choose Hilton Garden Inn Downtown. The location is ideal for a business traveler or a casual traveler. Located right in downtown, it has easy access to restaurants, skywalk and stores. Winters in Rochester is livable due to those skywalks :) and Hilton has a direct access to it, without stepping out into the cold at all.

The pro's:
* Great spacious rooms and room service. Excellent beds and in room amenities.
* Staff overall are great! Always welcoming and pleasant.
* Location

The con's:
* Parking - the lot outside has like 25 spots and the other cars need to be parked at a garage at a cost, which is excessive.
* Fitness center and pool is always crowded - maybe a good area for them to expand.
* Recently the added a bar in the lobby - not sure if that was worth it because it took out some valuable space where people could meet.

Overall, a great place to stay when in Rochester, MN!

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms near the elevator - gets too noisy.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ChituSree
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear ChituSree ~ First, thank you very much for posting your comments about our hotel. We appreciate that you are a loyal guest of ours and welcome your feedback. Second, your pro list, we put $3 million into the hotel last year and it sounds like it paid off from the guestroom perpective. About your con list, yes, parking is something that we have been continuously examing to see how we can make this a better "value" for our guests. Please take advantage of our valet service, if you need to park in the ramp. There is no additional fee for the valet service. For the rooms away from the elevator, please make sure you mention this when making your reservation so that we can secure a room away from the elevator for you when you stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Rochester and if you need anything prior to your return, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Deb Knox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Turkish first
Dyer, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Great, friendly staff. The limo service was a nice touch. The overall atmosphere at this hotel is so positive. We felt like we were treated with great respect and dignity and the staff was always ready to make you happy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RobHoosier
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Rob Hoosier ~ Thank you very much for taking the time to post your kind remarks about the Hilton Garden Inn. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We welcome you back anytime. If there is anything that we can do please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you again.
Deb Knox ~ Director of Sales
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Hilton has a great balance of price and amenities. The value here supersedes that of most hotels in the downtown Rochester/Mayo clinic area. The staff are always ready to help, and the breakfast in the morning is acceptable, but not impressive. At least they have one! The rooms are great, with modern bathrooms and VERY comfortable beds. Location is perfect and everything is connected by skyway for extra convenience. Price fits with the satisfaction of the stay.

Room Tip: Any room seems to be acceptable...
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tlaine21
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear tlaine21 ~ Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our Hilton Garden Inn. We appreciate it. I am very glad to hear that we are your #1 choice for accommodations in Rochester. If there is ever anything else that we can do to make your stay even more comfortable, please just let us know. You can always email me at deb.knox@hilton.com.
Thank you again.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

You can trust me on hotel reviews - we almost didn't stay here due to the couple bad reviews ( horrible service and needs renovation) BUT we got roped into our stay at the Hilton because that is where the rest of the baseball team were staying. I can honestly say that both of the bad reviews are untrue. The front desk people were awesome- very nice and helpful. Needs renovation?? NO WAY!! The furniture was not scratched - the bed spreads were fantastic and the carpet spotless !! In fact- the beds are so comfortable we are looking into getting the same kind for us here at home!
So as you can see..... all reviews can not be taken seriously. And obviously some people can not be please. I am very picky and we don't care what we spend on a hotel as long as it is CLEAN and QUITE! This hotel was very reasonable and went ABOVE ALL MY EXPECTATIONS !! In fact- read my review on the Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Elmhurst / Oakbrook Area - we spent 2x the money per night and was super disappointed. This Hilton had no problems in any area.
Not one of us heard the usual loud talking in the hallways and banging of the doors all hours of the night - and the very little we did hear before falling easily asleep was very muffled which tells me top end sound proof walls and doors. AAA++++++ in my book.
The bathroom had very good water pressure and was clean, clean,clean!
Of course we have stayed in larger rooms - but this was more then adequate in size for the 3 of us. Work out room was nice with updated exercise equipment. Pool area was nice- a little on the small size - but we rarely have time to use a pool so that is not a top end requirement for us.
Lots of GREAT restaurants within very short walking distance.
The only down side I could see was paying for the parking 12.00 a day ( which I have found is common in downtown areas) and the fact the lot is very small so we ended up having to use the "extra " parking ramp a block away. Which turned out to be a blessing when a storm blew in and was threatening hail. It could be a drag in the winter with the cold and ice to get to the ramp but at that point I would take advantage of the hotels FREE valet parking ( it would be worth the couple of bucks(tip) to have your car at the front door when it is really cold out)
If in this area again we WILL BE STAYING here again !! THANKS HILTON FOR A GREAT WEEKEND !!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JetterJ
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear JetterJ ~ Thank you very much for taking the time to post your fantastic comments about our Hilton Garden Inn. I am very glad to hear that you had a great time in Rochester and that the hotel exceeded your expectations.
For the Garden System bed, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com and we can help you get pricing and purchase a bed if you are interested.
Thank you again and I have passed along your comments to the team at the HGI Rochester. We hope to see you again when your baseball team comes back!
Deb Knox ~ Director of Sales
Gleneden Beach, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Frequent trips to Rochester have afforded the opportunity to compare the comfort and amenities of the hotels connected by skyways/subways to the Mayo Clinic. My most recent visit, in late May 2011, showed to my satisfaction that the Hilton Garden Inn was one of the best values in town. The front desk staff were unfailingly courteous and helpful, especially with directions through the maize of corridors to/from the Clinic. My room (junior suite, king bed) was clean, comfortable, quite, and well-served by the maid staff. The breakfast buffet was excellent, and special items (e.g. omelettes) were cooked on the spot. No matter there was no dinner restaurant in the Garden Inn, since the excellent Pescara Restaurant was only a block away in the Doubletree Hotel, the other Hilton property nearby. The well-equipped business center behind the front desk was readily available for flight check-in and printing boarding passes. I had a very comfortable stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, at rates substantially below those downtown hotels offering few additional amenities.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Dear profmd: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our Hilton Garden Inn in Rochester, MN. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found it a great value in Rochester. I am also glad to hear that you discovered Pescara over at the DoubleTree by Hilton, as we own that hotel as well. We hope to have you stay with us again at either the Hilton Garden Inn or the DoubleTree by Hilton when you visit Rochester again. If there is anything else that we can do, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you again!
Granger, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

I have not had worse service than I had during my stay at this Hilton Garden. I have had friendlier service at a Motel 8. The front desk manager was rude and discourteous .

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Dear unknown887: Thank you for your posting about your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. I am so sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would like to discuss this further with you. Please call me at 507-280-8888 or email me at deb.knox@hilton.com so that we can go into more detail about your stay. I have passed along your posting to the General Manager of the Hilton Garden Inn and our Regional Director of Operations.
Deb Knox~ Director of Sales
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

The Hilton is showing its age. The hotel is not very old but the rooms get a lot of use and show it. The hall and room carpet is worn and dirty to the point the even a shampoo wouldn't do any good. The rooms also are showing wear; the bedspreads are worn, furniture scratched, etc. The bathrooms are clean. Since most everybody staying at the hotel is a patient at the Mayo Clinic the rooms and bed just lack the "clean germ free feeling." The common areas are what you would expect from a Hilton Garden Inn...nice lobby, pool, good breakfast and very helpful staff. It is pricey for what you get.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear ugaworldtraveler: Thank you very much for taking the time to post comments about the Hilton Garden Inn. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the condition of the hotel. We did put $3 million into the hotel last year, which did include the guestrooms. I do want you to know that I have sent your message over to the General Manager and the Regional Director of Operations, so that your concerns will be heard. If you need anything else or would like to discuss this further, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Thank you again for your comments.
Director of Sales