“Good place to stay for swim meet”

Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #46 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown from July 19 -21, 2013. The location was perfect for us, because it was 3 minutes from the Rochester Recreation Center where my daughter had a club swim meet. She was able to warm up in the pool at the hotel, before heading over to compete. The hotel is 3 minutes to the Recreation Center.

The room was clean, but small. Only 1 person could fit in the bathroom at a time, and there was no counter space with a mirror or sink outside the bathroom. Very poor design planning. I can't imagine a family of 4 trying to get ready with the layout of the bathroom.

There was only 1 floor with the ice machines too, which I thought was odd. Usually there are ice machines in the lobby or every floor.

The front desk service was slow, but they were all friendly. We were able to walk to several nice places to eat and shop. We would stay here again for the location, however, I would ask about different room types with bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear KellyandKeith,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bathroom layout and the slow service from our front desk. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I attempted to check in. There were 2 people ahead of me so I stood back a short distance waiting for my turn & giving the guests checking in their privacy. After they checked in I waited to be called up to the desk just as the 2 guests ahead of me did while they waited there for their turn. I made eye contact with the two employees at the desk as they filed paperwork, answered the phone & complained to each other about their job responsibilities, other customers that day & their fellow co-workers. After ten minutes I asked if someone could check me in. The female said, "Well, we would if you would come up to the counter". She then threw her hands up in air, left the front desk & retreated to the office located behind the desk. The male employee was not wearing a name tag but said his name was Ted when I asked his name. I approached the desk, gave Ted my credit card & he threw it on the counter. Ted asked me name & his tone was rude at best. When I mentioned to Ted that his tone was short & curt he said it was not. His tone when he said that was even shorter than before. After conversation with Ted I asked to talk to a supervisor or manager. Ted said there was no manager or supervisor in the building that day but would be there the next day. Ted said he could call Jen, his manager on her day off but he wouldn't do that. I finally left the hotel but not until after Ted left me standing at the front desk while he retreated to the same office the female employee went in to. Ted slammed the door but before the door closed I could see Ted throw his arms in the air. I did not feel comfortable staying at this hotel because the front desk was so hostile. Before completing this review I attempted to call the hotel to speak to a member of management. Leah said there currently is no general manager & the owner, Mike Bhatka was not in. I asked to be transferred to Mr. Bhatka’s voice mail & Leah’s reply was, “I can if it (the voice mail) is working”. Mr. Bhatka’s voice mail did not work.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Empressw
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Empressw,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

While I understand that your experience was less than satisfactory, I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Location is great as you are right in the heart of downtown and close to Mayo Clinic (Gonda, Eisenberg, etc.). Very nice large room but small bathroom. Comfortable beds and pillows (soft, medium or firm). Can order off the menu breakfast up to $20 included with your room (booked on internet). Meal is very filling and good quality.
Business center & pool also here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My stay was for thirty-two days. The staff (especially) Bert and Mike made me feel at home. They are like family to me. I almost forgot I was at Mayo for major testing. The food was beyond excellent. In ever stayed at a hotel that was so accommodating! I am glad to be going home, but I will miss everyone very much. What a wonderful experience I will never forget! -Jamie R

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was at this hotel for business for four nights. It is clearly a retrofitted hotel, making parts of it a bit odd (like the fact that the lobby is on the second floor). Pool looked okay (although I didn't get it), and there is a sauna, and VERY small gym. My room was decent, well updated (with a small bathroom) had a fridge and microwave. My biggest complaint was the poorly sealed door. I was pretty close to the elevator and heard a very loud ding every time the door opened. This made for a pretty noisy room. If staying at the hotel, ask for a room far away from the elevator. The location of this hotel was great with skyway access to the mall and most Mayo Clinic buildings. The back of the building parallells the river, which gives you great access to some very nice running/walking/biking trails and some of the nice parks in Rochester. Plenty of restaurants close by as well. All in all, for the price I was happy with this hotel. The rooms were not the greatest, but the room served its purpose.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear trimess,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your experience with us. I regret that the condition of your room's door inconvenienced you as well as the noise levels experienced. Kindly be advised that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will use your comments to improve on our efforts.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Pam G

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have to come to The Mayo Clinic every three months or so. I try different hotels each time to get a feel for what is easy and what I like. This is the second time this year that I have chosen The Holiday Inn. Service is what they are taught here. From Nikkis smile at the front desk and willingness to help, and the entire front desk staff, it makes checking in a breeze. The Restaurant on site is really tasty too. Mike and the crew are literally "running" to take care of the clientele with fast, friendly and prompt service with a smile. The rooms are clean and fresh and always made up by the staff upon my return from Mayo to rest. I will stay here again. It is in a great location if you enjoy a short walk and you are in the heart of it all in exciting downtown Rochester. I like this hotel!

Room Tip: I have stayed in a single and a double queen room. Both were just fine. Clean rooms, comfortable pil...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Everyone was exceptionally helpful, fantastic service. You couldn't find a better location! And the fact that it's part of the Skyway and Subway to most of the major Mayo buildings was perfect - especially since the 14 inches of snow in May were slightly a surprise. Either way, rain, snow or shine it was great having access to the mall, shops, eateries, and Mayo without worrying about traffic and weather. Plus if it was a beautiful day, you're literally two blocks away from Mayo.
Check out Chester's and Twigs for amazing eats!!
The beds were so comfy, the sheets soft, and the pillows great! I wish they had had thicker comforters, especially since it was cold (they mainly used a blankets), but I asked for another blanket and they brought one right away. However it was stinky. Star taken off for that. All in all, it was great, inexpensive at the Mayo rate, and the perfect locale.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family