“Nice clean and convenient.”

Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #46 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Clean hotel with sky bridges to the Mayo Hospital. Clean safe area and friendly staff. Rooms are clean and have a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Steve W

Reviewed May 9, 2012

You've won me back! I admittedly hesitated to book my reservation here after having a couple of very disappointing stays here over the past couple of years. Hearing that Holiday Inn was back in the picture with a commitment from the new owners and new management team I was prompted to give it a try again, and I'm glad I did.

First - I will say that the service was excellent. From the moment I was greeted at the front desk to the time I checked out the following morning I not only received warm friendly smiles but the staff also looked me in the eyes and actually listened to me (which was a very nice change from the last time I was here). Bravo to the Management Team! ! !

Second - It was a long day so I didn't feel like I wanted to head out to find a place to eat, what a wonderful thing to find out that they now have a bar/restaurant in the hotel. I had a couple of beers and ordered their Chicago style pizza. The Pizza was very good overall, lots of cheese, crust was tasty, and the sauce was good (I would have preferred a little more garlic and zest to the sauce, but my friend thought it was perfect).

Third - the rooms in the past have been run down and tattered, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that they have done some much needed renovating in them (at least the room I got was very nicely done). Bed was very comfortable and the thermostat actually worked this time.

Final thoughts - with the renovations they have done and the things they have added I have to believe this hotel will soon be priced much higher (matching the other hotels in the downtown area), even at that I will be staying with at the Holiday Inn. Bravo to Terry (the new general manager) and his staff, you have come a long way in a short period of time. You have won my business and my companies business anytime we are in Rochester.

Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Brett A
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Our daughter's wedding reception was at the Art Center in Rochester. We used the Holiday Inn as the recommended hotel for our out of town guests. It worked out great. The staff was great to work with by allowing us to give "Welcome to Minnesota" baskets to the people who'd traveled from Oklahoma. They made them and the other guests feel welcome. The redone rooms are nice. The internet seems fairly high speed. With the convenience of being connected to the skyways and the location close to downtown restaurants and bars, I'll definitely be recommending it to business associates when they come to Rochester. My only complaint is I wish they'd make the elevators a different color on the guest floors. They blend into the hallway and I bypassed them twice without realizing it. My wife also had some great Scallops at Thyme restaurant. Food seems fairly priced and of very good quality.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fred_from_Rocester
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I'm not sure if the restaurant has a seperate trip advisor site so I am using the one for the hotel. I didn't stay at the hotel but it looks very nice. We walked through from the skyway and stopped to ask directions. The lady at the desk was very helpful. She gave us a map and answered some other questions. We decided to stay there and eat lunch in the restaurant and we were glad we did. The service was great and our waitress was very friendly. I was happy to see they had scallops on the menu. The portions were large for the price and the food was fantastic! We will definitley eat here again. I'm thinking dinner with my wife and maybe trying the hotel for the night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jim J
Reviewed April 14, 2012

My crazy awesome fiancé surprised my son and I by taking us to Rochester to visit my family. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Rochester so my son could swim in the pool. Last time I stayed at that property it was a Holiday Inn Express so I wasn't expecting to be able to swim. What a refreshing change! I hardly recognized the place and they made a serious improvement in their staff. We ended up exploring the skyway system for food which was really fun but we wished we would have tried the restaurant. A gentleman from Barns & Noble told us about the restaurant where we were staying and said it was really good. Oh, by the way if you go to Rochester you have to check out the Barnes & Noble downtown. They built it in an old theatre. It's really cool! Thanks sweetie for an awesome weekend.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 3rd floor room overlooking the pool. There was a little lounge area outside our room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Extremeoutdoorsman63
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I had a business trip to Mayo clinic a few days ago and stayed at the Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown for two nights. It was nice, good room size, comfortable bed and desk area. I had breakfast in the Thyme restaurant each morning which was good if a bit expensive. Overall it was a very good hotel with friendly staff. The next time I have a business trip to Mayo clinic I will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jonathan H
Reviewed March 28, 2012

A co-worker & I tried Thyme Restaurant (a new place in the Holiday Inn Downtown) for lunch today. We were seated after a few minutes. Three different people approached us and told us the lunch special (still some kinks to work out, I think). We ordered the thin crust veggie pizza to share and 2 sodas. We received our drinks right away, but the pizza took forever, and there were only 2 other tables occupied when we arrived. I'm gathering they're not catering to the downtown work crowd but rather to hotel guests who may have time for a leisurely lunch. The pizza was ok -- lots of veggies but not much cheese. The sauce tasted like basic tomato paste, and the crust was nothing special. We added hot pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt & parmesan cheese which spiced it up a bit. The menu is limited but with good variety. Prices are reasonable. The sodas were $3 each but included free refills. I would probably return, if I wasn't in a hurry, and would try a different menu item.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear roche04,

Thank you for your review of our new restaurant. I'm glad you had a chance to try us out. I understand that your meal and service was not 100% satisfactory and I apologize. However I am grateful for your comments and suggestions to help us learn where we need to improve.

Thanks again!