“Good food...but something is missing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of John Hardy's BBQ

John Hardy's BBQ
Ranked #42 of 300 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good food...but something is missing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I wouldn't say that this place is average but neither can I say it's very good. I liked it because it's different.

Looks rough from the outside. Don't be scared...it's ok. Had the pulled pork dinner and it was pretty good. Drier than I had expected (I was expecting lots of sauce) but I know there's different styles of BBQ. The pork went really well with my nicely done baked potato. Tasted very good. Good portion size, very friendly service.

So why not 'very good'? Well, with a little more attention to detail this could be a killer BBQ joint. I got the impression that someone - owner, chef...I'm not sure - was just mailing it in, just trying a little too hard to be different. I like to support local business when I travel but it frustrates me when I see a great little place like this that could be awesome if it just woke up and realized that competition for business is fierce. There's lots of restaurants - chains included - doing things really well.

My advice...go check Hardys out and (hopefully) prove me wrong.

Menasha, Wisconsin, United States
“Great local BBQ joint.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Kind of a rough looking place but it's a great place to sit and chow down on large portions of ribs, chicken, turkey, etc. Lots of sauces to try. Whenever we go to Rochester it's a must-stop place.

• Visited November 2011
Frontenac
“Good BBQ, home-made not factory-made”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I brought a friend and fellow member of the UUBBQ Mystics to John Hardy's (on south Broadway/Highway #63) where my dad and I shared BBQ for many years. I ordered a half-pound of turkey, my friend ordered the half-rack of ribs. I got sides of slaw and beans, my friend chose green beans with jo-jo potatoes. We were served quickly. The turkey was tender, tasty, moist and thinly sliced. The ribs were huge, easily filling a large plate, served over a bed of jo-jo potatoes. I've never seen or sampled better ribs IF you follow the dry cooked KC style with sauce on the side. The sauces ---in 6 grades---were original, tasty. The 'bad boy hot' was an astonishing blend of fire and sweetness. Except for the Jo-Jos which were good, the "sides" were forgettable. Every one we tasted seemed to be out of a can. Add some pulled pork and a little sauce to spice up the beans. Try some purple cabbage, red onion or horseradish in the slaw. And since it's summer use fresh green beans. Great BBQ, original sauces, canned sides. John Hardy lives!

• Visited August 2012
owatonna
“worst food ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

went their for my birthday july 2 nd ,ordered two dinners chicken came on one plate was compeatly burnt.cut it open the meat was so dry it crumbled the cut pork was not even a half a cup my ribs were cold and the beef was small pieces and was the color of sheet rock they had enough fries on each plate to feed the mayo clinic twice over told the water that is the way we cook it ,would never go bact to the one on the south end of rochester is not fit to eat at crap rating

• Visited July 2012
Rochester, MN
“Eh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Rochester has four different BBQ places in town; honestly, I love giving my business to the locals, but in the case of BBQ, the Famous Dave's chain is simply better. Hardy's BBQ is okay, but given the choice, I will always pick Dave's.