“Great dinner!!!!”

Osaka sushi & hibachi
Ranked #223 of 300 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
MN
“Great dinner!!!!”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Great food and value, some of the best sushi and sashimi we've had in Rochester. Definitely worth the drive outside of downtown Rochester, only 3 miles out of the city and worth it.

2 Thank lyndajoMn

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“OK, not exceptional”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The facility has been totally remodeled and looks nice both inside and out. We were greeted promptly by the hostess and sat in the dining side without the display grills. It was quiet while we were there with about a six tables in the dining area filled.

The servers are friendly but there is a language barrier. We had questions about some of the food and preparation and they were challenged with trying to explain exactly what the food consisted of.

In the end, the food was good and the presentation was fun. I’m not an expert on Japanese cooking, but it did enjoy the sushi (tuna). The spring rolls were comparable to what I’ve had at other restaurants. The tempura was done properly…I would have liked to have had it a bit warmer at the time of service.

All ‘n all we had a good dinning experience.

• Visited December 2011
Rochester, Minnesota
“ONE OF MY FAVORITE RESTAURANT”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. i had great experience from the moment I walked in the door until I walked out. I ordered "American favorite A" sushi entree. It was very fresh, we'll definitely going back.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank SOPHIA7883
Rochester, Minnesota
“Aweful Service - Love the food!”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The service was about the worst I have ever received. Olive Garden- and Red Lobster-type service is the least I would expect from a place with their prices. The manager was SUPER friendly and chatted it up with us, but the servers could never remember what anyone ordered, never asked us how the food was, and we had to flag them down at least three times to place orders. Did I mention there was more staff than customers at this point? And we couldn't manage to get our drinks or place our orders.

The real kicker was when we flagged one of the servers down to place our last order before happy hour was over and she told us that happy hour had ended. We all looked at our cell phones (on satellite time) and said there should be 15 minutes left. She said she would go check on the computer, came back 5 minutes later and told us we had to hurry up.

My suggestion, is that it is worth it to go for happy hour and don't have high expectations for service. Just an FYI - their menu states 2/1 which leads you to believe that it is two-for-one. Not the case, they messed up the fraction, it is actually 1/2 price.

• Visited June 2011
Rochester
“Food was good but the service/timeliness was very poor.”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I've been to Osaka twice since it opened. Both times we waited at the table for 20-30 minutes before even getting to place our order. After taking our order it took another 20 minutes or so to bring it out. By the time we had started eating a good hour had passed. The food was good and the presentation was fun but the service was less than to be desired. Maybe if you come with a full party of 8 people you'll be more likely to get served right away. It seemed to me like they let us sit there for so long hoping other people would walk in the door so they could put them at our table before taking our order.......

• Visited July 2011