“Now we know why this restaurant is #1 in Rochester”
Review of Pescara

Pescara
Reserve with OpenTable
Pescara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 303 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd St SW and Broadway
Transit: We are located 2 blocks away from the Rochester City Bus Depot.
Description: Pescara invites those with an appetite for fresh, forward food to share small plates, savor fine wine and enjoy selections from sea and land. Located in the newly renovated DoubleTree Hotel in downtown Rochester, it"s the perfect place to gather for business lunches, pre-theater appetizers or romantic dinners.
Rochester, Minnesota
“Now we know why this restaurant is #1 in Rochester”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The atmosphere is wonderful and you can actually carry on a conversation with people across the table. Too many restaurants are so noisy you can't relax. We went there Saturday night with friends and everyone ordered appetizers, side dishes and main entrees. Everything was a "10" including the baked in house bread! If you want class and fresh seafood flown in everyday, you must eat here!

• Visited July 2013

Redding
“What a Lifesaver for Vegans”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

After eating at a few restaurants that claimed they could accommodate vegans, but had no idea what vegans eat, I came to Pescara. Starting with the waitress, she understood what I was saying about what I can and cannot eat. She had an excellent knowledge of the menu and the ingredients.

She recommended the mushroom risotto tailored to my needs and it was absolutely delicious. The presentation was very nice as well - simple but appetizing. I then wanted some kind of bread and she told me the pita had no eggs but was made in a place that uses eggs for other things. Well, I'm not that picky and as long as it didn't have eggs, I ordered it. Excellent place.

Visited July 2013
Minnesota
“Fish Tacos Please!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Check out the $10 lunch menu. Love the fish tacos, the shrimp bisque and the black bean soup. We've had a nice dinner here too but I'm not sure the value is as good as the lunch menu.

Visited May 2013
Grimsby, Ontario
“Afternoon drinks on the patio, mid-day lunch and, later, an evening dinner with family”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I were in Rochester to visit my son, and his wife. We happened to be there for a 4 day weekend, and they took us downtown for the Music, Market and Food Fair which is held every weekend throughout the summer.

A few days later, we were booked for the Mayo Clinic Art Tour (excellent tour and art). My son sugested a quick lunch at the bar at Pescara as it was close by. As soon as the staff was told that we had a limited time for our lunch, things moved very fast. Orders were taken and wines were served right away. We shared the Asparagus, and had the lobster bisque, walleye sandwich, calamari and scallops. All presented well and very tasty. And we were out in time!

Dinner, a much more casual time for us to enjoy the fare, was as my son and his wife had described. Our server was very helpfull in selecting menu options, but the wine selection was a frusrtration. A true surprise for a restaurant of this caliber, and reputation, was that we tried to order two different white wine selections. Both times, and only after we ordered, were we informed that the selections were out of stock. Why we wondered, when we told the server that we were going to select a white wine, would she not have informed us of non-availbility of listed wines? Hmmm.

We shared the Ahi Tuna Tartare, I had Risotto de Mare, The ladies had the Salmon Filet special (Sautéed as recommended and wonderful with a choice of sauces), my son, the "insignia" Scallops. All were plated very appetizingly and each was mouth wateringly good. As a side, we ordered the Garlic Spinach ( Be warned, if you are not a real garlic fan, ask for a reduced garlic content. We did and were happy.)

Portions were all sunstantial and arrived hot. Service was attentive but done from a distance which provided a comfort level one would expect in a restaurant of this level. Save for the issue with the wine list, and the Scowling walker (see below), this was a very pleasant evening of dining.

Some have made negative comments about the cost of dining at Pescara. As with many upper level restaurants around the globe, Dinners are always more expensive than quick food offerings at the bar, or at Lunch. Did we feel we were provided with a meal, and service, commensurate to the price? Without a doubt.

Would we recommend Pescara as a dinner destination? Absolutely.

Go and enjoy the food and service. Do try the desserts (Bread Pudding and Créme Brûlé were perfect!), if you have room!

There was one disturbing, and ongoing, annoyance throughout the meal. This was the slow, hands behind the back walk of a gentleman (white shirt, tie, and white belt) who wandered around the dining room, between the tables, with a scowl on his face. It was very distrubing to my wife, and I who were on a Banquette facing into the room. It was as though we were all being watched to ensure we didn't steal the silver, or the salt and pepper shakers. Our server told us he was the manager. If so, he has one hell of a way to "manage" a room. His behaviour must make the staff VERY nervous. It did that to us. Could he not have watched from the bar?

This issue could have ruined the dinner for my wife and I had we not managed to engage in conversation with our dining partners. I, strongly sugggest that there be some training for this "manager" so he will allow guests to enjoy the restaurant's offerings in peace. It is a real shame that his behviours are not at the high level of the wonderfully attentive and pollite service a bussing staff. Perhaps Pescara's ownership could find something else for him to do during meals.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Grimsbybud
NYC
“Terrible.”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I sat at the bat and ordered a glass of wine and my dinner at the same time. Although the bar was not busy at all, my wine never came and somewhere mid appetizer I asked for the wine again and finally wine came. AC set very low and i felt really uncomfortable. Bartender said they were fixing it but for me it would be too later. Lobster bisque was a cup of cream sauce.
Bad bad bad.

• Visited June 2013
Xavi T, General Manager at Pescara, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Mernacaj,

I'm very sorry that your experience at our bar did not meet your expectations. Needless to say I'm quite embarassed that you had to wait long enough for your drink that you had to ask for it again. That's not how I train my staff, and I expect them to offer top notch service at all times. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at xavi.torres@pescarafresh.com. I'd like to both find out when and at what time you were in, as well as to make amends for your sub-par experience during your next visit to Rochester.

Kind Regards,

Xavi Torres
General Manager/ Sommelier
Pescara
150 South Broadway
Rochester, MN 55904
Tel: 507.280.6900
website: www.pescarafresh.com

Been to Pescara? Share your experiences!