“Convenient, clean, comfortable”

Ranked #26 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Calgary, Canada
“Convenient, clean, comfortable”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The title says it all, or almost. This hotel is exceptionally clean with even the stairwells glistening. The beds are very comfortable and the air conditioner worked so well I think you could have made ice in the room if you kept it on maximum (Rochester temps were in the 90s while we were there).

We were only a 5 minute walk to the Mayo clinic. I assume the subway system would be even faster as there would not be any lights. We didn't try it as the weather was perfect for walking outside.

The elevator system is a bit odd if you are on the 4th (top) floor. From within the building you first take one elevator to the 3rd floor and than another one to the top floor. However, there is one from the parking lot (parking is free) that will go to all 4 floors. That is the one we usually took and then walked inside to the lobby if we needed to. I assume they added on to the hotel at some point in time which has resulted in this configuration. For us it wasn't a big deal because the only time we went to the lobby was for breakfast. If this may seem like it may be an issue for you I suggest asking for a room on the bottom 3 floors.

Breakfast was basic. One watch out is the microwave in the breakfast area. It is very powerful and you will likely boil over your oatmeal if that is what you choose to have (learned the hard way). We switched to getting hot water out of the coffee machine and that worked perfectly.

Wifi worked perfectly for us and we had full signal strength in our room. Staff were friendly and helpful.

There is no pool, hot tub, restaurant, or gym at this facility so if that is what you need this is not the place for you; however, if clean, comfortable, convenient, and economical are what you are after this is a great place to lay your head. Note - there are plenty of restaurants nearby.

If we return to Rochester to revisit the Mayo Clinic, I won't hesitate to rebook this facility.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BrentwoodManagement, Manager at Brentwood Inn and Suites, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Rod_D123:

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Brentwood Inn and Suites for your recent stay in Rochester. It sounds as though this was your first time staying with us, and it looks as though everything went as smoothly as possible (except for the oatmeal; my apologies). I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that everything from the rooms to the staff to the wifi was to your liking. We take great pride in providing our guests with the cleanest rooms and helpful staff, at an economical price. This is very important, and we understand the importance of all of these things.
In regards to the elevator system, there was an addition put on in 1999. The original hotel only has three floors, and that is why there is no access from the main elevator in the lobby to the fourth floor. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but I am happy to hear you figured the system out!
Thank you again for your stay and excellent review. Look forward to having you as our guest again the next time you are in town.

Brentwood Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a pretty basic hotel. The room was very clean, beds were OK. The continental breakfast was adequate, although the coffee was very weak. Staff was very friendly and helpful, and I was able to leave my car in the parking lot during Mayo Clinic appointment, even after checking out. Mayo is a 3 block walk away (and connected by pedestrian subway), and there are several restaurants, Starbucks, and Caribou Coffee within a few blocks. Free wifi was good. Reasonably priced room. Although the facility and amenities are basic, the helpfulness of the staff makes this a good place for a short stay, especially if you're on a budget.

1 Thank smj000
smj000:

Thank you for staying with us recently, and for the kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of our ameninities that we provide for our guests. I am also extremely happy to hear that staff was so helpful. They all do such a wonderful job and we take great pride in having such an outstanding group of people. I hope that when you return to Rochester that the Brentwood Inn and Suites will be at the top of your list. Thanks again, and see you next time.

Sutherland
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is in such a great location if you have to spend a few nights. You can walk to the clinic or Methodist hospital in just a few minutes. They are also connected to the Subway and this is another good option. We did have trouble with the air condtioner, had to run it at a low temp to get it to cool the room. There are places you can get food in the subway but do close early. I liked that they have a fridge and microwave so that i could run over and grab a quick sandwich and get back to the hospital in a short time. Also helped that they have free parking.
Staff is very friendly and make a stressful time a little easier. Beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BrentwoodManagement, Manager at Brentwood Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
IowaCubsfan25:

First of all I want to thank you for your stay at our property. I am very happy to hear that you were able to use the amenities that we provide for our guests. Like the previous review, I apologize for any inconveniences during your stay (especially the air conditioner). It is my hope that you mentioned something to our front desk so that we were able to take care of the issue.
Nonetheless, I am happy to hear that the staff was exceptional and were able to help you and your family during a time when may not have been the easiest. We have an incredible staff that have been with us for several years, and we take an incredible amount of pride in this.

It is my hope that you will continue to stay with us if you continue to travel to Rochester. Thank you again for your review and your business.

Arlington, Texas, USA
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Other favorable reviews I've read are basically on the mark. This hotel is dated but clean. They are not trying to be something they are not; this is a good choice for a short term stay to visit the Mayo clinic. I'm not sure this would be the place for a multi-week stay for someone with a chronic illness. The "suite" we stayed in was just a divided room - KS bed on one side and small couch on the other. Room included flat screen TV with decent cable, free wifi, hair dryer, microwave and small fridge. Bed was comfortable, although my wife did not like the very firm, overstuffed pillows. The A/C seemed to have trouble keeping the room comfortable - it was usually either too hot or too cold. Rooms did allow sounds from other rooms to penetrate - heard footsteps from above and some wall knocks next door. These sounds were very minimal and not a real problem for us. We were on the streetside with no noticeable external noise. Clientele were mostly mature adults; I didn't notice anyone with children. Free parking was nice and we were always able to find a spot. There is no restaurant (other than comp. breakfast) or pool in the hotel. This is a good choice because of the friendly staff, relative quiet, cleanliness and overall value.

jsw59:

Thank you for your kind review of our property. We are exactly what we are, a family owned and operated hotel. We take pride in everything we do, and we greatly appreciate your business. I hope that you were able to speak with our front desk staff and that they were able to help and accommodate you with any of the inconveniences that you mentioned. I wanted to be sure to point out that we actually have quite a few long term stays due to our cleanliness, helpful staff, rates, and convenience to the Mayo Clinic via our subway connection. Regardless, thank you so very much for staying with us, and we hope that you will be returning to our property the next time you visit Rochester.

Avon, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place is perfect. Nice clean rooms. The air conditioner works great. Always had hot water. Connected to Mayo Clinic subway. It's in a great location except for the one way street out front but that's not the hotel's fault. The staff was always friendly too.

Room Tip: We got a king size room. It comes with a frig, microwave and a couch.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BrentwoodManagement, Manager at Brentwood Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Terra F:

Thank you for staying with us as well as the wonderful review you provided for us. We are happy to hear that we were able to take care of your needs during your stay in Rochester, and that we were able to provide you with great service and a friendly staff. We are also happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of the subway connection that we have to the clinic; it is truly a wonderful ammenity.

Thank you again for your patronage, and we look forward to having you back at the Brentwood Inn and Suites.

Minnesota
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were very pleased with the accommodations at Brentwood. Staff was great to work with. As others have stated, beds were very comfortable, and rooms were a nice size, parking great and secure access to the Subway is fantastic. It was one of the reasons we chose Brentwood to try this trip. On our first trip to Rochester we stayed across the courtyard from the Gonda Building. Rates were considerably higher and room was considerably smaller. We will definitely stay at the Brentwood when we need to come back in 3 months.

The review would have had a top rating except for the fact that the door on 417 needs to be replaced. There is too much light that shows through and I'm not sure how much of the lock actually gets into the door frame. That's our only negative for our stay.

Room Tip: I took the advice of a previous reviewer and requested a 4th floor room so no one would be walking o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
BrentwoodManagement, Manager at Brentwood Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
minntac:

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Brentwood Inn and Suites as your lodging provider while in Rochester. Even though we are downtown, we provide clean and comfortable rooms at a very affordable price, and this is extremely important to us. We are happy to hear that you were able to utilize many of the amenities that we provide to our guests such as the subway system and free parking.
We would like to apologize for any inconveniences that the door may have caused. We will be sure to have maintenance check out the issue and take care of any issues.
Thank you again for your stay, and we look forward to seeing you back at the Brentwood Inn and Suites during your next trip to Rochester.

Redding
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I originally booked at another hotel and when I arrived, I saw that it wasn't for me. So, at 2 a.m. I had to find a new hotel and Brentwood Inn welcomed me.
The rooms are absolutely lovely and so is the shower. The personnel is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The beds are very comfortable and there's some kind of a fleece for a blanket that's really nice and warm and soft. I was so impressed. And, it is within a walking distance to the Mayo Clinic and shops and even not too far of a walk to the health food store. There's a refrigerator in the room and a microwave. It truly is lovely and clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Schirete Z:

Thank you very much for staying with us recently, as we realize that there are many choices in Rochester. We are happy that you thought of us and had such a pleasant stay. Additionally, it is great to hear that you enjoyed the room (we just completed a major renovation earlier this year) and noticed many of the upgrades that we made, from the blankets to the beds.
We take a lot of pride in providing the best in service and convenience to our guests, as we know that it is vital in our line of work.
Thank you again for staying with us, and also, thank you for the kind review. Please be sure to come back and stay with us the next time you are in Rochester.