“Just Okay... I would look elsewhere next time”

Hampton Inn & Suites Rochester - North
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed July 14, 2011

There are a lot of cool hotel options in Rochester and I picked this one on the far north end of town. First... The parking lot is a cluster, with only one way in and one way out...and the hotel is not easily accessed off the highway. There are no good restaurants nearby at all.

Internet was slow.

The property is slightly unfresh... It just seemed like a Hampton from 8 years ago.

The staff was a little off. I put four seprarate rooms for clients on my credit card. That morning I asked the woman at the desk if I could get a receipt from each room... uh I needed that... She just said... they left one under each door and suggested I get it from them.. my clients. Ugh. It was evident she did not want to print those four receipts. Heck with it.

Next month when I am back I am staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights while being seen for 3 days at the Mayo Clinic. The room was perfect. 2 q bed, large suite, wet bar, ref rig and microwave. Breakfast was varied every morning with hot and cold options available.
All staff that we encountered were helpful and pleasant. They did everything possible to make us feel at home under less than ideal circumstances.
We return next Sunday for another week and that is one less worry, we KNOW the best place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank llongrider1
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel during all three of my visits to Mayo Clinic this year, once with my wife. This is a fairly new Hampton Inn, and workers there were very helpful. They suggested good places to eat, were very friendly, and provided great free shuttle service to the Mayo Clinic. The swimming pool and exercise room were better than average. Also, my room was very quiet, possibly helped by the hotel being near the edge of town. The hotel looks a little farther from the clinic than other lodging options on a map, but it takes only 5-10 minutes to get to the clinic via the hotel shuttle (clinic parking is tight, so we were thankful for the shuttle). Also, this hotel provides its own shuttle -- many hotels in Rochester share a shuttle service which takes longer getting to or from the clinic as it makes the hotel circuit. On the one occasion when a driver was not available, they paid a taxi to take me. When you are not at the clinic, WalMart, Target, and various shops and restaurants are within easy driving distance. Like most Hampton Inns, it has very comfortable beds. The standard rooms are typical of a nice Hampton Inn, but if you need more space, their studio suites are quite a bit larger than their standard rooms and my wife loved the larger space. My only criticism is that standard rooms have no refrigerator or microwave, although suites have them.

Room Tip: The 2 queen bed studio suite was our favorite
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank OkieStormChaser
Reviewed May 9, 2011

My wife was required to visit the Mayo Clinic for an extended stay, and we chose this hotel based partly on earlier reviews. I travel frequently, and can say with confidence that this was one of the best most accomodating hotels I've ever found. The king suite in which we stayed was clean, quiet well-equipped and spacious. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE was kind, attentive and pleasant from Dan the manager on down. The shuttle will take you anywhere you want to go from Mayo appointments to restaurants, shopping etc.. Whenever a question or concern arose it was dealt with quickly and professionally. Don't have any concern about the location as I saw in earlier reviews. Everthing is not more than 10 minutes away, and the near suburban area of the hotel is preferential to being downtown. Breakfast changes everyday with hot entrees and other fare, it's very handy and plentiful. If you're in a hurry you can grab a pre-bagged breakfast to go, no problem. These people are truly amazing and kill you with sincere kindness. The atmosphere gives one a high degree of comfort during trying times.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2011

At first, finding all the usual downtown Rochester hotels fully booked implied my stay at this property would be different. What I uncovered changed my perception and now I will gladly stay here again INSTEAD of downtown.

First of all, the location. It is on the northern perimeter of town, just past the 55th street exit on Hwy 52. What sounds remote actually is the quietest location. It was peaceful and restful, with none of the usual town sounds or sirens from the hospitals. It is also removed from the Highway and up a hill, thus doubly removed from noise sources.There are no bars around the property and the area is mostly residential. One exit south on Hwy 52 brings you to shopping and numerous restaurants. It is also very close to IBM, for business travelers wishing to stay close to this business.

Next, the age of the hotel. I have stayed in hundreds of properties, and this one is fairly new and feels fairly new. It's rooms are fresh and the suites are truly spacious. It's restaurant, an area used for breakfast only, is large and clean.

The staff are totally service oriented, and everyone was polite. Checking in and out was painless and efficient. I was recognized as a Diamond level and upgraded to a suite without comment.

The suite i was in was large. I loved the area to work and relax in. The tub and toilet were in a separate room, with the sink outside visible to the main area.

All fixtures in the room were functional. The lighting was equal to the rooms size, even on dark days.

Two items were an issue during my stay. Both were reported. One was not remediated and one was remediated beyond compare.

The gym's treadmills belts were not tight on all three machines , and frequently slipped on two of the three, making them dangerous to run upon. I reported this to the front desk twice, and when asking again if they had been fixed, was told they were, however, one of the three treadmills still had the issue. I was warned as well by other customers that they were dangerous, ones who had tried them and experienced the belts slip.

Upon sending in laundry, one item was substituted and returned by the dry cleaner. When I noticed this, I notified management. Dan Nelson, the general manager of the property, performed in an OUTSTANDING fashion. He worked with the dry cleaners, and when they did not correct the situation, purchased a replacement item himself to compensate for my missing one.

In summary, I will stay again at this property EVERY time I visit Rochester for it's service and high ethics. One issue that management should continue to address is their treadmill equipment. Whether from an overall quality perspective or maintenance upkeep, it's presenting anywhere from annoyance to danger for those using it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Stayed at this location while a family member was getting treatment at St. Mary's. It was a short and easy drive. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel is nice and has many amenities. It was a great value.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed at this hotel 2 nights, attending a volleyball tournament. The hotel is easy to find, just off the main highway. The hotels exterior is very nice looking. The front desk and breakfast area is very attractive. Our check in was easy and fast. Our room was wonderful. Everything was wonderful! Looked good, smelled good, clean and spacious. The beds were very comfortable. The flat screen tv worked great. Wifi from the room worked great. The heater worked well, but there is quite a bit of cold air that comes from the heating unit when it is at rest. Very chilly. The rooms are fairly quiet. Upon check in, the front desk clerk, possibly the manager, gave us a several page info packet, with info about the volleyball tournament and a party they were putting on for the kids on Saturday evening. What a nice gesture on the hotels part. I really appreciated that gesture. The breakfast was more than adequate. Saturday morning they had an Omelettes, Bacon and waffles. Along with cold breakfast items. Sunday morning they offered a scrambled egg and ham mixture, along with sausages and waffles. And the cold breakfast items. No complaints from us. The pool and hot tub was fine. But beware if you have screaming kids in the pool area. The acoustics are such that it seriously was unbearable for me. I had to leave. Wow! This hotel is wonderful and I would stay here again if I had the chance.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family