“Don't buy a Groupon type deal and use it here”
Review of Nonna Rosa's

Nonna Rosa's
Reserve with OpenTable
Nonna Rosa's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Robbinsdale
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: New, small, chef-owned, wonderful...
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Note to management: When using a promotion like Living Social or Groupon, the point is to encourage first time visitors to become repeat customers. Treating them like second class citizens is not the way to go about this.

I was very excited to dine at Nonna Rosa’s. I saw a deal for a 5 course dinner with wine pairings and snapped it up. When we arrived at the restaurant, I found out that the meal was actually 3 courses but there were 5 wines. It wasn’t what I was expecting, but it wasn’t a huge deal.
Our server brought our first drink and said our appetizer course would be out shortly. She was very friendly, but unfortunately was also the bartender. Our food sat on the window for a few minutes before the manager told another server to bring it to us and to explain what it was. The server said she didn’t know what it was, turned to our table and dropped the plates down and walked away. A huge downfall of the open kitchen plan is that the diners can see how long the food sits in the window before it is served to them. Both of our hot courses sat in the window for a long time. We were also seated near where all the wait staff congregated to complain about all of their customers and people using the Living Social deal. It made for an unpleasant dining experience.

We were served crostini with artichoke dip for the appetizer. It was pretty good, but the bed of greens it was served on were a few days past their prime and slimy. The main course was pork on spaghetti. The pork was well seasoned, but the sauce was very bland and the pasta was from a box. A mixed berry gelato was dessert. That was our favorite course. We weren’t given bread although every table around us was.

When we made reservations, we were told to allow 2 hours for the experience. We were out in less than an hour. I cannot imagine spending another hour in the restaurant. It was very loud and the tables are too close together. We were seated by a table with a high chair so there was even less space to walk in. Three people knocked over the decorative bottle of wine on our table and a server nearly hit me in the face with a wadded up paper tablecloth as he passed by. The atmosphere was more fast food than romantic and unhurried.

2  Thank SherriandBrandon

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have eaten at Nona's too many time to count. The food and staff are great. The owners almost always on site and attentive in the restaurant. The menu has a lot to offer and there is always a couple of great specials each night. The risotto dishes are my favorites along with the Vitello Parmigiana. A great little place and, fortunately, it is only 10 minutes from my house.

1  Thank Steve R
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Nonna Rosa's is one of my new favorites! Very intimate restaurant. I LOVED their Mushroom Stuffed Risotto appetizer! Just enough to whet my appetite! They also offer a happy hour during the week until 6pm. They have quite a few food and drink specials (not as many drink specials as I would like - but the food specials make up for it!)
Great for a date night. Perfect for a small family gathering.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The food was fantastic and the staff was very friendly and helpful with suggestions. Everyone I was with loved their food. I come from an Italianfamily and this place made me feel like I was in my grandpa's kitchen eating homemade pasta all over again.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We live really close to this restaurant, and for some reason had just never stopped in.
We ate there for the first time on New Years Day. It was excellent! One of the best meals we have had in a long time, and definitely the best Italian food I can remember having.
We all tried different things, and everybody loved their food. My son ordered the mostaccioli (I am spelling this wrong I am sure), and I had to have a couple of bites because it looked so good. It was excellent.
We ate here with our 10-year old son. I probably wouldn't bring really little kids, although I'm sure that would be fine. I'm not sure if they have a kids menu.
They have a great wine menu, with many varieties and price ranges.
We also tried the gelato, and again, it was so good. The waitress told us it is handmade at the restaurant.
The inside of the restaurant is very charming, and the service was outstanding.
So next time you have a craving for italian food, bypass anything else and head here instead! You will love it, and it is worth a drive if you don't live close. But, make sure you are very hungry!