Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Richfield
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Not as good as all the other Candlewoods I stay in, first the thing that bother me the most wa sthe fact that the back door keep being left open and people who look like live there keep coming in and out so make sure your room is not close to the door! Second the smell!!! soooo true!!! is it so bad! Bad in the sense of who wants to smell curry while walking in the hallways? Ok now the front desk, they were not nice or bad jus average. I'm a priority member and was not ask to spin the wheel so that was not cool, you know as a member you kind of look forwrd to it even if its just to get a free water. Ok now the good. The gym area was great! and also the free washing area. So all in all an average stay at an average hotel. Ah and I got a handicap room without reguesting one and hate it! very weird lay out as everything is customize for handica, ask to be move but they couldn't accomodate me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear wearetheones,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this property for two nights (Aug. 2 & 3, 2013). The entrance was not identified very well by lighting or a sign - possibly because of construction of another building at the entrance. It was dark when we arrived and I actually drove past the entrance. The hotel was sold out those nights and, even arriving late, we had several parking places to choose from. As other reviewers have stated, this is an older building with a funky layout. Checkihng in was fast and the person checking us in was friendly. The first thing I noticed on the way to our suite was the fitness room. We didn't use it, but it looked to be very well equipped. In the same area was the "cupboard" where you had a very good selection of food and drink items. You pay at the front desk, which was around the corner. I was amazed that everyone was on the honor system (maybe they have cameras to monitor the comings and goings). Upon opening the door too our "non-smoking" suite, the first thing to hit us was the odor of stale smoke. That smell bothered me throughout the night because it had permeated the bedding and pillows as well. Beyond that, the suite was very nice. There was a kitchenette (with full-size refrigerator, stove coffee maker, dishes, etc.), ample size desk/counter for eating or working, nice "living room" with couch, recliner and flat-screen tv, bedroom with closet, dresser space and flat-screen tv, and very cleen bathroom. There was also a closet in the living area that was large and had an iron and ironing board. Our suite was, as other reviewers said, updated and was modern. It was also on the side of the building overlooking the Interstate highway, but the noise didn't bother us all that much. I looked around for a outdoor place to sit and read on a beautiful day, but none was available. That was a bummer. This is an extended stay facility that has all anyone would want if staying a week or more. It is also in a good location with a real nice shopping area only a few blocks away. It is very convenient ot 35W and I494. Overall, this Candlewood Suites is a good value. Would I stay here again? Very probably, but would ask for a non-smoking room that has not been smoked in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the Interstate highway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Gary_and_Sue_P,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for your kind words on your room accommodations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again.

Connie D

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at several Candlewood Suites in the past and haven't had a bad stay at any of them. Similar to the others, this one met our needs. The room and bathroom was comfortable and very clean. The kitchen gave us everything we needed. The building was very quiet, and we enjoyed a good nights sleep during our two-night stay. The fitness center and laundry rooms were clean. The cable TV was adequate and there's a DVD player in the room to watch movies, which you can check out at the front desk. The business center was about the only downer, as it paled in comparison to the other Candlewoods we've stayed at. It's just a desk in the hallway without a printer. Strange? Additionally, this place could use a second elevator because of the size of the building. The hotel has easy access to the Interstate if you are bound for downtown Minneapolis or the Mall of America. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Candlewood M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Butzee,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It was a pleasure serving you and we want you to know we appreciate your business. We value your feedback as it allows us to continue to improve our services to satisfy our guest. We will always do everything possible to merit the confidence you have shown in us. Again thank you

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked through hotels.com based on reviews and the free wifi. However, I would NEVER stay here again or recommend it to anyone.
When we first walked into the hotel, it smelled awful. It was almost like burnt, greasy hashbrowns, and it was nauseating. I thought once we got into the room the smell wouldn't be as bad, but it was. After about an hour it didn't bother me so much.
The first thing I noticed upon walking into our room was that the handles on the kitchen cabinets were disgustingly dirty. That just made it feel like everything in the room was dirty.
It looked like the room was recently remodeled, but it didn't seem very modern. The walls were stark white and uninviting. The bathroom had a walk-in shower with a low-flow shower head, which wasn't centered between the curtain and the wall, so you had to stand next to the shower curtain the entire time. The shower floor was flush with the bathroom floor, so water got outside of the shower area onto the bathroom floor.
I was getting ready in the morning and went to grab the hairdryer, but there wasn't one! What hotel room doesn't come equipped with a hairdryer? My husband called the front desk to request one, and was told they'd bring one to our room. After 20 minutes I called back and asked them if they were bringing one and the clerk told me they were having trouble finding one and that they were all "sold out". I didn't realize you had to order a hairdryer for your room!?
The one positive thing about our stay was that the room was quiet and the bed was comfortable, so we did get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CHRISTINA B
Candlewood M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Hello,

We appreciate your feedback and I am truly sorry you did not have a pleasant stay with us. We take great pride in ensuring each of our guests have a wonderful experience during their stay with us. I do hope you would visit us again soon and allow us the opportunity to show you how wonderful our newly renovated rooms are. Thanks

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked through my IHG points and got a pretty good deal on this hotel. The kitchen had a full size fridge/freezer, a microwave, one burner with a small pot, a sink, and utensils and dishes for two (I didn't check if you could get more dishes if needed). It even had a dishwasher. So if you're hoping to save some money on a trip, I'd recommend bringing a cooler or hitting a local grocery store to make a few meals yourself - or at least cereal for breakfast.

The "business center" was just a desk in a hallway with a computer and no printer, so that's a bit of a misnomer. Wireless internet access was free and fast. I didn't use the laundry or fitness center but both looked clean and well maintained. I also didn't realize that housekeeping was weekly, so if you need fresh towels you have to go to the front desk to exchange them yourself. Beds were comfortable and bathrooms were clean. I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Candlewood M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business and we would be delighted to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked a room online through my Platinum Priority Club Membership. I was recently the victim of identity theft, so I explained when I booked that I would not be traveling with a credit card, but happy to pay cash and make a sizable deposit for incidentals. I have been traveling for the past 3 months like this with no issues anywhere. Always told that as long as I had valid ID there would be no problem. When I got there, I was informed that they could not accept cash for the room payment and needed a credit card. So, I used my Priority Club points to pay for the room which would guarantee payment for the stay, and offered to make a cash deposit that would equal TWICE the cost of the room stay. They refused to check me in without a credit card. Front desk clerk and Manager both looked at me and spoke to me as if I was some sort of criminal. I left. got a cab and went over to downtown St. Paul to the Holiday Inn. They understood my issue, and explained that even though it wasn't their policy, they would check me in with a cash deposit, especially since I had guaranteed payment through Priority Culb. I will NEVER again book at a Candlewood Inn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sean H
Kathy H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Sean,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are truly sorry that we fell short of you expectations. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. Thank you again for your review and we hope to make your next stay as best as it can be

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our room was very nice, comfy bed, clean kitchenette. I was taken aback by the "spin the wheel" option for priority club members to "win" which type of prize or perk they get.
The day of check-out however was a completely different story! We were woken up at 7:30 in the morning by the housekeepers! I'm sorry, but that should NEVER happen. I don't care if my "do not disturb" sign isn't on the door. That's too early on a Sunday morning!
On Sunday evening when we got home and I unpacked, I realized I forgot my earrings in bathroom. So I called the hotel, and talked to a crabby lady who said there was nothing turned in. To which I replied, "Bull! I know they were left there." So she had the housekeeping director look in the room again. But she didn't find anything either. The only explanation is that the housekeeper stole my earrings or threw them away. Thanks a lot Candlewood, my favorite earrings are gone! And you have crooked housekeepers! We'll never be back, and I'll make sure everyone I know, knows about this.

Room Tip: There is no pool at this hotel. There is also no restaurant. Just something they call the Candlewood...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Landa J,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, MN . I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield
Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport
Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bloomington West
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#29 of 43 in Bloomington
Baymont Inn & Suites Bloomington MSP Airport

Been to Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield? Share your experiences!