“Great Home Base Location for Minneapolis Sightseeing on a Budget”

Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Richfield
Washington DC
“Great Home Base Location for Minneapolis Sightseeing on a Budget”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I went to visit Minneapolis/St. Paul for the weekend and was trying to keep my costs down so I thought it would be better to stay a bit outside the city. This hotel was exactly what I was looking for in that it was safe, clean, and fairly priced, while still being close enough to the hot spots I wanted to see. I had a rental car, which helped, and I found everything was pretty close. It's about a 15 minute drive to Lake Harriet and Calhoun, a 10 minute drive to Minehaha Parkway, and 20 minutes to get almost anywhere downtown. Also, it's really convenient for airport traffic- maybe 10 minutes away right up the freeway. I thought the staff was friendly and helpful with my questions about getting around, and the breakfast in the morning is decent with cereals, oatmeal, bagels/toast, fruit, and juices. The room was nothing luxurious, but I was only there to sleep and shower so it met my needs and was fine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
DougBremer, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Thank you for your comments about your stay at our hotel!
Your feedback is very valuable to us and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself here.
We feel fortunate to be in a location that offers such easy access to all of the places you mentioned and many more; and we are proud to have a healthy and hearty breakfast available to you each morning.
Thank you again for choosing us for your stay and for placing this review.
I am here to help, so please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Doug Bremer
Director of Sales
Ramada Minneapolis Airport West
612-243-1636
dbremer@ramadarichfield.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Fargo ND
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I had a free night stay. Even though I mentioned it on the phone when booking and giving the front desk clerk my discount certificate upon check-in I was still booked at full price. On my check-out sheet there was no discount indicated so I verified with the front desk and they were gonna charge my card for full price. Luckily I brought it to their attention so they could change it. I still had to pay for tax of $14 even though it was for a free night stay.

Hotel and rooms are kept pretty clean but they could use some updating. Our room had two double beds. There was a flat screen tube tv. Ya know, one of those old, heavy things. And the volume didn't work on the remote. The room seemed a bit on the smaller side. The bathroom had a coffee maker on the counter. Gross! Not that it was dirty - it's just the idea that a coffee maker is in the same small area that you *ahem* conduct business. The alarm had been set from a previous occupant so we all woke up at 7am.

I think the best part of the whole stay was the soap. It's this citrus smelling stuff. Mmmm, nice! The second best part was probably the continental breakfast. Nothing great but the dining area was roomy and bright. The offerings were oranges, green apples, 3 kinds of oatmeal, 4 kinds of cereal, 2 kinds of muffins, toast, bagels and english muffins. Apple juice, orange juice and cranberry juice, coffee and milk. That was probably the hottest coffee I have ever had in my life.

There is a pool but it's very small and it's extremely dark in that room. When my family went swimming at 9am there were no towels except all the dirty ones from the day before. I had to ask twice before they restocked any. Pool hours are 7am-10pm. Adult only from 10pm-11pm.

We did request extra towels and washclothes to our room and those were promptly brought up.

They have two computers and a printer for guests to use in their lobby which was handy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel many times and always had a great experience. The accomodations are clean and comfortable and the complimentary breakfast is better than most hotels in this price range. And I love the Caribou Coffee! The staff has always been good to us, offering complimentary upgrades when available and going out of their way to assist us.

The location seems like a turn-off at first, but the price and convenience more than make up for it. It's an easy walk to shops and restaurants across the street and a free shuttle offers rides to The Mall of America 24/7. You just call and let them know when you want to be picked up! It's easy an easy drive downtown or uptown and it's even easier to take the light rail from the Mall of America station.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Wisconsin USA
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I had the unfortunate experience of deciding I could save 20 bucks by staying here for Park & Fly instead of one of the other hotels near MSP I have used in the past.

Our party of 4 arrived at about 10:30pm to fly out at 6:15 am the next morning. My wife and I wanted to split the room with the other couple so I asked and the woman checking us in said "umm....no I don't think there is any easy way to do that". OK, sounds like she is just too lazy to do it the way I asked but I wanted to get some sleep so I just put it on my card.

Then she tells me if there isn't any parking around the hotel, to park in the lot for the business next door, and try to move my car before I take the shuttle at 4:00 am. If there's no spots, then I WILL HAVE TO LEAVE MY KEYS WITH THEM SO I WON'T GET TOWED. This floored me. The whole reason I am paying a ridiculous price for this hotel room is to get PARKING, and they don't have any. And, big surprise, there was no parking available and nobody moved their car between 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM, so when it came time for the shuttle, I had to turn my keys over.

At this point the whole shuttle is loaded up and waiting for us. The same woman as the one that checked us in was still on duty at the front desk, and she claimed she was the manager on duty. She was not wearing a name tag, and when I asked her what her name was she said, "Why?". I couldn't believe her nerve. I said, "So I know the name of the person I am leaving my car keys with for a week". She replies, "Well, probably won't be the person moving your car anyway, so I don't know what difference it would make. Write down your license plate number, model and color of your car here." After I wrote down the info she asked for, she told me her first name. Let me tell you, I was fuming all the way to Mexico.

When we got back, the shuttle picked us up promptly and dropped us at the hotel. I went into the front desk area to pick up my key. She asked "what kind of car?" as if they had a dozen keys sitting in the back room. I told her my model and color and she handed the key right over, no ID required. She didn't even get my name. For what it's worth, the vehicle seems like it was handled fine and was moved to the hotel lot as promised.

Mismanagement of their Park & Fly reservations and terrible apathetic customer service means I will never stay at this hotel again. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pseudocoder
IA
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I checked in after dark and went into the bathroom only once to wash my hands, and didn't turn on the light. So the next morning when I got up and turned on the light I was taken aback. The bottom foot or so of the mirrors above the sink were clouded over with something, as were the toiletries and coffee-making supplies on the sink. The bottom third of the full-length mirror on the door also was covered with the strange film. I ran my finger through it to see if it was some permanent problem, but it appeared that with a little scrubbing it could be removed. I am mystified as to what caused all that. Then...I decided I'd make use of the coffee pot, but when I saw how it looked, I changed my mind. The film was on part of that, too, but the creepiest thing was that the metal plate below the carafe had rusty residue all over it. Yuck. It reminded me of the urban legend about people making meth in hotel coffee pots! When I described all this to the desk clerk, she wrote some stuff down but didn't say anything like, "Gee, I'm sorry, we'll look into that." She said nothing, in fact. I had to rush off, but I popped into the continental breakfast room to get coffee, and there was almost nothing there for people to eat. The selection didn't look like it had been any good in the first place, but I couldn't believe how little there was. I emptied the coffee urn (with about 2/3 cup full) and three people behind me who needed caffeine looked around for some assistance, but no one was in sight. My hotel stays of late have all been much better experiences. I got a good price, but it was not at all a good value.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank RASMN
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This hotel was only 5 minutes from Mall of America and the airport, which was great. We rented a car, but they do offer shuttle services. The man checking us in was so-so- not super friendly but not nasty. The hotel lobby looks like it was recently renovated, but the room itself needs some updating. Mainly the bathroom- very small, one sink. Not as modern as some of the other hotels. Overall a good price for the room. The indoor whirlpool was a plus. If you looking for a good price with a room better than a motel, but not as modern as a brand new hotel, this is a good choice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Didn't expect the Twins-Tigers tiebreaker game to last for 4 hours and 45 minutes so I decided to collapse instead of 150 miles of going home. Got a fantastic walk up rate when I said I was a Wyndham Rewards member of $69 - unreal !! Super nice staff, nice BIG comfy bed, clean and QUIET. Decent carbo loaded breakfast, bagels, etc. Caribou Coffee was a nice touch. All in all a great stay and excellent value. Oh shuttle will bring you to nearby locations not just the airport but nearby restaurants, MOA, etc. Probably anyplace close if they aren't busy. And the tv worked fine btw so did the alarm on my CELL.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis
Radisson Blu Mall of America
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield
JW Marriott Minneapolis Mall of America

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport? Share your experiences!