“Great Experience Until I Checked My Credit Card”

Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Richfield
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great Experience Until I Checked My Credit Card”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The room was very nice, and hotel is conveniently located. The staff were friendly and I enjoyed my stay. However, when I got home and checked my credit card there was a strange $60 fee from this hotel. When I called the hotel someone confirmed it would be taken off and was a "routine" thing that they did as a hold on the room. But when the bill came the charge was still there. I called and was told that a hairdryer had gone missing from my room and so I was being charged for it. When I told them the hairdryer was not in the room to begin with, rather than being willing to look into this I was told there was nothing they could do and were pretty much keeping my $60. I was offered the Corporate Office's phone number and after making a legal complaint with them my money was finally returned. It took me numerous phone calls, one of which was about an hour long to get back what was rightfully mine. Had the hotel done their job properly to begin with, or even just looked into the problem when I first called rather than brushing me off, it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. If you do decide to stay at this hotel, be sure to notify staff if anything is out of place or missing (I didn't mention the missing hairdryer at the time because I didn't want to bother the staff over something I wasn't really that concerned about) and check your credit card bill afterwards!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lynn H
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We have resolved the issue and your money has been reimbursed. Please accept our most sincere apologies in this matter and in the future please feel free to contact our General Manager, Adam Selby at (612) 861-1000 and he will take care of your reservation from the start to ensure an issue such as this is not repeated in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The website says there is an airport shuttle, I called and confirmed there was an early morning shuttle(yes 24x7), the desk clerk wrote me in for an early shuttle but there isn't one. I had to get a taxi for $22. The desk clerk was obnoxious and wouldn't reimburse for the shuttle. I heard 'I don't have authority' multiple times even when asking for a manager. I filed a complaint with Sheraton and got some bs from the manager, but no taxi reimbursement. Bottom line, Boycott this place and don't rely on the shuttle.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stxmahn
We regret to hear of your recent unfortunate experience and this issue has been addressed with our front desk team as Four Points Minneapolis Airport prides itself on superior customer service and under normal circumstances alternative transportation would have been arranged for you. We would like to invite you back so that we have an opportunity to correct this wrong and provide you with the type of exceptional stays we are dedicated to. We hope that you will give us another try in the future. Take care.
Otsego, Minnesota
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I had an early flight out of MSP, and decided to spend the night here. I had seen the sign from the road, and had always thought it was a seedy place. I was wrong. This is a beautiful hotel. It seemed like everything was new.

Check in was smooth and quick. I had a king room. It was clean, and well cared for. The bed was super comfortable. I loved that there was a built in plug in next to the bed (attached to the nightstand). This was convenient to plug in my computer and plug in my phone. I hate having to dig around on the floor to find a plug so this was a real plus.'

There were 2 things, I was not a fan of 1, was the water in the shower. It took at least 5 minutes to heat up and get hot. I was on the third floor so maybe it just took time, but this has not happened to me in a hotel in a long time.

2. I requested a wake up call (as my back up to my alarm) and I never got it. Good thing I was using it as a back up.

This hotel was overall very nice for a business traveller, and I would use it again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here only one night since I had a flight out of MSP the next morning, so I didn't use all the facilities. But the hotel is very convenient to MSP, right off the freeway exit. The room wasn't huge but it was very well appointed and clean. The bath/shower area gets an A++. I am not sure if this is a new property or just recently renovated, but everything was relatively new. There is a restaurant which I did not use, however I did stop for a glass of wine at the small lobby bar. The service was friendly and the prices reasonable. The hotel is clean and the decor was pleasant. Generally very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and well-appointed accommodations. Our team of associates are dedicated to quality customer service and providing guests with memorable stays. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you are in Minneapolis.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here with our 3 kids on a trip to see the mall and various attractions in the twin cities. The hotel is a couple minutes away from the mall , the airport and the waterpark. The room were kind of small. The beds were very comfy. Pool was a nice size. Everyone in the hotel was suoer nice. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your review. We are pleased to learn you had a very memorable stay and you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and hotel amenities. We have shared your comments with our associates and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town. Thanks again!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went to MN for my birthday weekend and a surprise Vikings game for my boyfriend. Stayed here for the great Friend and Family rate. I work in hotels, so I always make sure to call 1 week-3 days before arrival to verify that everything is ready to go and once more either the night before arriving or the day of. Each time I called, I asked that they do have me staying a total of 4 nights, but between two separate reservations. A back-to-back is what it's called. Each time I was told yes. Well when we arrived, Night Audit didn't seem to have the same information, they had to search for it. And apparently, still didn't notate my account/folio of this. The next day as we were getting ready, I got a phone call from the front desk asking what time we were planning on checking out...to which I replied, "Tuesday." She was confused. Again, I had to ask her to find my second reservation. Once my dates of stay were finally cleared up, I had told her to use the card from the first night for the 2nd reservation, but we were heading down so we can just bring it so they can swipe it and we'll get new keys. Well they didn't listen...again. They used my card which I had used ONLY to book the reservation, and I told the hotel (all those other times I'd called) that I will be using a different card to check in with and to NOT swipe my card. **DEBIT CARDS place a physical hold in your account looking as a Pending Transaction on your statement. This does not come off until 5-7 business days after you check out.** When I realized what they had done, I was already out in the city, and I was fuming. I called the hotel and they told me, "no we have Mr. ______'s card on file." ....No, you don't. When I asked which casrd they have, if they can read me the last 4 3's, or what the amount held was, I was told, "Umm...well I don't have the authority to see the card number or how much it's down for..." Coincidentally enough, I use the exact same Operating system they do, ( no I'm not an employee of their company) and I had to explain to her over the phone on how to use it!!! What they had done was put his name in the name field and STILL used MY card!!! Needless to say, I had NO MONEY not just for my Birthday Weekend, but for a few more days after returning home.

Penny in the restaurant was very nice and we liked her a lot. I can't remember the name of the girl at the bar the night we arrived but she was very nice as well. As always, the rooms are amazing. Love the beds. Hotel was going through a renovation but it was never an inconvenience.

Wasn't able to experience Room Service...we didn't have the menus in our room. When we had called, the girl on the phone said either we could come down to get the menus ourselves, or she could read them off to us...The whole point of Room Service is to not have to leave your room. If she couldn't leave, she should have found another employee who was available or heading in our general area to bring us some menus. We decided to just go out for breakfast that day.

My advice for the front desk is to please make sure your staff is fully trained and understands how to use your operating system before something like this happens again. And learning what it means in our industry to go above and beyond. Anticipate the guests needs before they arrive so that they feel well taken care of and that you listened to them.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any Starwood Property rooms. Always clean, and beds are very comfortable!