Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Richfield
Texas
“Tiny room”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My two previous stays at Four Points hotels were at new properties. This Four Points is an older hotel that is being renovated. The room (un-renovated) was clean but tiny and had some peeling wallpaper. Barely enough room for our luggage. I would not recommend this for a family with kids or a group of adults or even a business traveler who needs room to spread out and work. Staff members were friendly and efficient. Good location near the airport. It worked for us because we just needed a place to crash before an early morning flight.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Barb C, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Hi,
You are correct that we are undergoing a renovation and my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced. Thank you for your feedback and positive comments on our staff and our great location near the airport and the Mall of America.
Please come back to see us later this fall as all renovations complete with new bar,restaurant and lobby fireplace, will be done and I think you will be pleasantly surprised!
Barb, Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I am not sure how I missed the fact that they are undergoing renovations when I booked this hotel. I had enough starpoints for a free night and we wanted to be close to the airport so we decided to stay our last night at the Four Points. I wish that I had kept the points and paid to stay someplace else.
The good- very nice friendly staff. The breakfast staff was especially nice and helpful. The room remodels are decent, but the room had a few issues. The sheets were very scratchy. In fact, they actually kept me from having a good night's sleep. There was no shower gel in the new shower dispensers. The free Wi-FI was great , but spotty at times.
The bad- the lobby was small and tired looking. The renovations were very intrusive! If I had to spend any time at the hotel I would not be pleased. Plus don't make any plans to sleep in. I doubt that I would go back. It was a real let down from the Hyatt of the night before.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your feedback. The renovation of the hotel includes updating all guestroom furniture, bathrooms, hallway carpeting throughout the hotel, and the bar/restaurant and lobby. The new bar, restaurant and lobby concept with a cozy fireplace will provide each guest a warm and inviting feeling during their check-in and stay experience.
Please come back later this fall!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at the Four Points MSP this past Monday and Tuesday (August 13-14th) and was efficiently checked in by a friendly front desk clerk. It was immediately clear renovations were in-progress as debris littered the lobby and elevators. My room was worn, though acceptable in terms of comfort and amenities. I was, however, disappointed to not be assigned a room on the Sheraton Preferred Guest floor as I was a Gold member since these rooms are typically nicer in terms of quality and comfort. Given the in-progress renovations, I can understand that it's possible the SPG floor was unavailable.

What was NOT acceptable was the construction work commencing at 7:45AM. Guest service staff assured me the work had not yet started but I know sanding and hammering when I hear it. The hammering and sanding turned into full-blown jackhammering by the afternoon which made it impossible for me to work in the guest room. I contacted the front desk and was put in touch with Adam, the General Manager. Adam was apologetic and immediately offered me access to the restaurant where work could be done in a quiet surrounding. In addition, he offered to either transfer me to another SPG property in the area or add Starwood points to my account. Given that I had to leave for local work in the area that afternoon (and would be leaving the property for several hours until later in the evening), I decided to gut it out and just took the Starwood points. It's now been several days since the points were promised to be "posted immediately" and nothing is on my account. In addition, a call to the property today resulted in no staff member being able to address my point concern (I spoke with Conner).

What was most frustrating regarding the stay was:
A) Lack of notice on the SPG website that a major renovation is in place which might significantly detract from guest comfort. Had I been aware of this fact I would have looked to stay at another Starwood property in the area.

and

B) The promised point service guarantee recovery have not posted to my SPG account 5 days later.

Positives regarding the stay were the very cheerful guest service staff, location of the hotel (close to MSP airport and ample restaurant options within easy walking distance) and comfortable bedding in the guest room which was up to Sheraton standards.

I would not hesitate to return to this property in the future after the renovations are complete assuming the General Manager follows through with the promised service guarantee.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room that is at least 2 floors off the current level of construction!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Barb C, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hello,
On behalf of our entire team, our sincerest apologies go out to you for all of the issues you experienced at our hotel. Our General Manager, Adam, has received direct notification from SPG that your points have been awarded to you. Sometimes it can take 24-48 hours and he even tried to issue them to you when you were still in-house.

We appreciate the kind words regarding our great location and cheerful staff. They are on the front lines and we know they try their hardest to accommodate all of our guests. We strive to treat everyone as a VIP guest. Our renovations will all be completed late this fall so I do invite you to come back to see us and I will personally will make your reservations.

Thanks you,
Stuart,Fl
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We arrived late in the evening and the lobby was dark and uninviting. Our room was the same, unfortunately. It was tiny with a king bed, I could hardly walk between the bed and the dresser. Also, they are in the beginning stages of a remodel which is desperately needed. If you plan on staying there, make sure the remodel is complete. I was disappointed over all, especially for the price. Almost forgot, we waited forever for airport shuttle. It drives me crazy when the front desk tells you it will be less than 10 mInutes and you end up waiting 40!

• Stayed June 2012
Barb C, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
My apologies for your unfortunate experience with us. The lobby and entire hotel is undergoing a full renovation. The lobby will be adding a cozy fireplace and walls will be knocked down so the bar and restaurant will be airy and well-lit. Also, while we try very hard to pick up guests as soon as possible, sometimes traffic can be an issue so my apologies for your shuttle wait as well.
Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed August 10, 2012

As you'll know from reading other reviews, the property is under renovation. Knowing that, we had a great stay. Excellent location, comfy beds, nice "small" touches like coffee, warm cookies, ice water with lemons.

Only real "issue" was with the lounge and happy hour. We had three bartenders in five nights and each one had problems, from not knowing how to work the cash register to not knowing how to mix a cosmo or a John Daly to not knowing when happy hour was.

It was more of a chuckle than anything else, and the happy hour pricing more than made up for it. We'll absolutely be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your comments and feedback. I will share with team and department managers. We strive on training so thank you for bringing the bartender issues to our attention.
Please come back and see us soon!
Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Pros: The location is great, right near the airport and the Mall of America. The staff was excellent, friendly, and provided a warm SPG welcome!

Cons: The hotel itself is no where near SPG standards. The decor, hallways, rooms, furnishings, are in desperate need of replacement. There are no suites or club lounge. The offices/house keeping laundry room, etc., are all visible from the main lobby hallway on your walk to the elevators (not typically Starwood's style). The reviews below seem to indicate that the hotel is undergoing a renovation (scheduled for completion in 2 weeks?) but there were no signs of any renovation work going on while I was there. I've stayed at a lot of Starwood hotels, but this one definitely ranks as one of the sketchiest.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Barb C, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hi,
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I know the renovation is not published on our website as it is ramping up soon. I don't understand how you couldn't have seen the two large display boards complete with carpet samples; one upon check-in right when you walk into hotel lobby and also a second one directly in front of the elevators.
Please come back and see us this fall, I think you will be presently surprised!
Most Sincerely,
Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Comfortable and quiet; great off-494 location, close to Mall of America and southern MSP venues. Not a fancy place, but the price is excellent and the staff is courteous. The location is currently being remodeled, so a bit of disruption, but the new rooms are very nice. The bathrooms have a walk-in shower instead of the tub that no one uses. 494 is also being remodeled (under construction) so that is a pain if you have business east-bound. Bring your GPS and be prepared to use surface streets. Annoying but not the Sheraton's fault.

Room Tip: Had a west-facing room; very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Barb C, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Hi and thank you for your comments and feedback. We are in full renovation and by the end of 2012 - it will be a brand new product. Our guestrooms and bathrooms are all being renovated as well as the lobby, bar and restaurant complete with a gas fireplace. Come back to see us soon!
Thanks again,
Barb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis
Radisson Blu Mall of America
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield
JW Marriott Minneapolis Mall of America

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport? Share your experiences!