“Love this place”
Review of St. James Hotel

St. James Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Anyone who appreciates the history of Minnesota and historic hotels must stay here! From the dining to the decor what a Minnesota marvel! Do yourself a favor and stay in the Historical side suites, very nice and away from the trains although no river views but the rooms are worth it. Also the Port is a great restaurant with nice upscale cuisine. Staff is great but desk staff a little too uptight. Check it out!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 24, 2010

Beautiful hotel. Very friendly staff. General Manager, Craig Scott, ran a very impressive operation!

Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We took advantage of a holiday package the St. James was offering. The package included a historic suite (we upgraded to whirlpool suite - great idea!), 2 hour long massages (wonderful massages but I don't feel they would be worth the $90 cost if we had to pay for them), 2-for-1 dinner at Jimmy's Pub (adorable pub w/ great food!), and 2-for-1 breakfast at the Veranda (great food overlooking the river!).

Overall we really enjoyed our stay!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2009

The hotel looks nice with it's fancy lobby and little shops and restaurants, but the rooms themselves are fairly small. When we walked into the room it was like 100 degrees, there was no way to turn the heat down so we had to turn it completely off. Went to shower and the water came out yellow and the absolute worst part were the trains...every hour all night long there is a train that goes by and blows it's whistle, I haven't gotten a worse nights sleep since I had a new born at at home. Of course they don't tell you about the trains at all. I wouldn't go back to this hotel if they paid me.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank WItraveler92
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This week we spent a night in a deluxe room (#402) with one queen bed (more about that later.) We checked in at 3:30 and requested a corner room, but were told that our room had a view, so we settled for that. We really should have continued to ask for a corner room, as the hotel did not appear to be at all busy on Wednesday evening, and the delightful young clerk could easily have fulfilled our request. Doing the math, I figure that there quite a number of corner rooms. But 402 was clean and nicely decorated, with a handmade Amish quilt, two comfortable armchairs, and a large flat screen TV. WiFi functioned fine on the main floor.
We met friends in the area outside Clara's Gift Shop and sat and chatted comfortably for a half hour or so. We then proceeded to dinner in the Verandah Cafe, where we had a nice table with a view of the river. We all felt that the food was quite good, and the wait person was personable, so I'm not sure why the restaurant was empty - perhaps there are so many choices in RedWing that this one is not a popular spot.
After a pleasant walk around town and along the river, we retired for the night. Unfortunately, we did not sleep well, The queen size bed seemed very narrow, and it had a definite slant to the left. My husband and I traded sides, since he weighs about fifty pound more than I do, and that seemed to work better, but I must say that we noticed every train that passed below our window - there were a bunch!
The next morning we had breakfast in the Verandah Cafe again - a delicious meal, but again the restaurant , and indeed the whole hotel, was almost empty. We wondered why this should be so at the height of the leaf season. Perhaps the St. James is in need of another energetic promoter like Clara Lillyblad! Or maybe some seasonal specials would do the trick. Or maybe we just hit an off night.
Yes, we would recommend this charming historic hotel to friends, but we would suggest a room with two beds, just in case! Number 401 looked nice. Or any corner room!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dad88
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Have made at least a half dozen visits to this full service hotel over the past ten years or so. The hotel has charm and historic value; its shops are cherished by my wife. The room rates are reasonable for a hotel of this stature. The Veranda Restaurant has good food and prices - it is now open for dinner seven nights a week, providing a more down-to-earth alternative to the upscale Port Restaurant in the lower level. The Port Restaurant now has a more limited and pricey menu than in the past (one of the Negatives, more below).
Some things were disappointing this time around, hence the three star rating where I would have tended to 4-5 stars in the past. Our room in the newer part of the hotel had two large windows facing west and south-west with very nice views of the Mississippi. The heat from the setting sun, however, overwhelmed the A/C unit at times, made worse because the cooling knob could only be turned up so far, thus the unit still cycled OFF leaving the room a bit stuffy. In addition, the fan went OFF when not cooling and could not be kept constantly ON to keep the air moving. The Thermopane(?) windows looked thinner than I'm used to seeing in MN and the heat near the windows was very noticeable, leaving me to wonder what the room would be like on a 90 deg day (it was only 80 outside) or in the middle of the winter. Other negatives, the mattress was very soft, the tub drained VERY slowly, and the hot water faucet had to be turned fully ON or it would "jump" back OFF.
All in all, I'd still consider coming back again, as I much enjoy the atmosphere. Yet, I had to struggle to escape the feeling of 'Cost-Cutting'.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I booked the St. James for a weekend get away to celebrate our 30th Anniversary. I wanted a special place to share with my wife and the St. James exceeded all expectations.

Our room was exactly as the gent who took my reservation had described it. It was located in the historic part of the hotel built in 1875. The large corner room (about 15' x 21') had lots of light from tall windows. There were views of the Mississippi River, old railroad depot, and Levee Park on one side and Barn Bluff on the other. It was furnished with some antiques and nice reproductions and felt very cozy. There were side tables and lamps on each side of the Queen size bed, plus 2 dressers, an armoire, desk, and 2 reading chairs with a table. The full bath was also large and came supplied with plenty of thick towels and two robes.

The hotel was beautifully maintained and fun to explore. It had many interesting nooks and crannies due to the age of the building and contained many wonderful architectural details not found in modern facilities.

We enjoyed a terrific Sunday brunch ($14) overlooking the river. It was delicious and inexpensive. The fifth floor Irish pub was a great place for cocktails in the evening. Food at the St. James was top notch and service generally was too.

My only complaint would be regarding the hotel's location which is one block from the railroad tracks. There was noise from the train whistles about three times per night. This didn't bother my wife at all, but I was awakened by them. I got ear plugs for the second night and that cured the problem. A fellow traveler told me that his room on the other side of the hotel was quiet at night, but he had no river view. I'd say the trade off for a great view was worth it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Super 8 Red Wing
Super 8 Red Wing
#7 of 9 in Red Wing
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City

Been to St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!