“awesome”

St. James Hotel, Est. 1875
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
Reviewed July 19, 2009

What a wonderful hotel! It was charming, clean, quiet and the staff was friendly, professional and very helpful. It is located close to the Mississippi River in the downtown area of quaint and charming Red Wing. The Sunday Breakfast in the beautiful Veranda Cafe was delicious. I can't say enough about the hotel, our room and the town. We will definitely return for another visit.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 27, 2009

Great historic hotel on the Mississippi was a lot of fun. Enterprise brought our rental car to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2009

After reading previous reviews we initially decided not to stay here. My wife and I own and run a bed and breakfast and decided to take a couple of days off and go take the train out of Redwing. Since the train was leaving in the morning we decided to spend the night in Redwing and just relax. We reviewed the many b&b's in the area and chose the one with the highest ranking. Short of the long story is that we checked in to a bed and breakfast and checked out by 8:45 the same night. This review is not about them but is about the St James and how well they handled a last minute set of guests.
I called the front desk at 8:30 and asked if they had a room available and was greated very very nicely from the get go. I told them that we were just up the road and about the situation of having no internet access or a working TV where we were and they assured me that this would not be a problem if we stayed. I told them that we needed to give the bed and breakfast a chance to "make things right" with us (internet access and a working TV). We called them back at 8:45 and were checked in by 9:00.
They gave us a beautiful room that overlooked the main street but traffic noise was very minimal. Our room was also in the older section of the hotel. We were in need of a cocktail after the bad experience up the road and they have an awesome bar on the top floor of the hotel. We were the only ones there as it was a weeknight but it was really nice that is was actually open even during the slower time. The decor was beautiful and the lack of smoke (being in MN) was nice as well.
Being so close to the train station was an added benefit and they let us leave our vehicle in the covered parking for a few days for only $10.
When we went into the restaraunt in the morning we told them that we needed a rush on breakfast as we were catching the train. They did exactly that and we were pleased. The food was ok.
The service on the phone, at check in and at the bar were exceptional and we know that service is HUGE!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2008

This old hotel is located right along a railroad line! The hotel did not mention that there are hourly trains that blow their whisltes all night long, and they do not have any earplugs available. This was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel - and I am a sound sleeper. To compound the problem, an alarm went off through the hotel at 3:30 am because apparently a bathtub over flowed.

I mentioned this the next morning to the front desk, and just got a "sorry." I wrote a letter the next day to the hotel manager but never received a reply.

The room was ok, although the hotel has building additions and is somewhat difficult to find your way around. There is free onsite parking in a garage and an ok restaurant.

In summary, stay there if you must, but bring your earplugs.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JPezl
Reviewed October 19, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the St. James for a wedding reception held there too. We requested an early check in because the wedding was at 4 (the same time as check-in) after we called the night before and also called in the morning, there were surprised to see us so early. We arrived @2PM. After waiting for an hour to get our room with a rude female front desk worker, we were not impressed with the mold growing throughout the bathroom. For the most part the room was clean, however very dated...not in a good way. I think for what they are charging, it is time for an update in quality.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WINATIVE
Reviewed August 16, 2008

After staying in chain motels for several nights prior to arriving at Red Wing, and unable to find a reasonably priced room at a B&B, I decided to stay at the St. James Hotel because of its historic ambience.

There are two parts to the hotel. The original "historic" building and an adjacent newer building. From the front of the hotel, it is difficult to tell the two buildings apart, but it is obvious from the parking area in back. My room was in the newer building, but once inside it would have been difficult to tell that this was a newer building. The room was comfortable, very bright, and nicely furnished, keeping with the historical theme. To keep the cost down, I reserved a "small" room, but it was ample for one person and the bathroom was large. Parking is free.

The hotel has amenities typical of a hotel in a larger city, e.g., a ground floor with several shops, as well as several restaurants and a bar. The nicer restaurant was rather pricey. I typically don't eat at hotel restaurants; when I asked the desk clerk to recommend some other restaurants, she was at first reluctant, but then mentioned two within walking distance. When I asked her about several other nearby restaurants, including one that was two blocks away, she said she knew nothing about them.

If I was retunring to Red Wing, I would certainly look into accommodations at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2007

My wife and I stayed one night for our fifth anniversary and were both very pleased with our stay. The hotel displays it's historic charisma as you walk down any hallway or stairway and view articles of clothing and photos with narratives from century year old accounts. Our room displayed the same victorian charm with an oversized eagle clawed bath tub and toilet featuring an eye level water tank with pull chain. The queen size bed had a feather mattress feel to it and was very comfortable. The staff we encountered were all very friendly and professional in appearance and execution.
The package we chose included dinner at the Port and breakfast at the Veranda. Both restrauants meals were very well prepared (our meal at the Port was one of the finer meals I have had in years) with fresh ingredients and generous protions. My only knock on each was our server at the Port was very friendly and heplful, but there were significant gaps between servings.
At the Veranda we asked for window seatings, as we observed the view primarily of the parking lot and than at a distance the Mississippi River , my clean conscious wife said smiling " the windows need cleaning". She was right.
The hotel has its own shopping courtyard where we discovered at our surpirse they had exact products for sale we had seen in downtown Redwing for a cheaper price. Usually it's the opposite for hotel boutiques.
Overall we had an excellent time and are looking forward to visting again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ThomasP10
Super 8 Red Wing
Super 8 Red Wing
#6 of 9 in Red Wing
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City

Been to St. James Hotel, Est. 1875? Share your experiences!