“Mini vacation”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Mini vacation”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the nostalgic St. James Hotel. Loren and Lucas at the front desk were very helpful in getting us booked and giving us advice on how to spend our time in Red Wing. The room was quaint, spacious, and its decor was from a gentler time. We talked with the friendly waitress, Lynn, while dining at The Veranda, and watched an eagle soar over the Mississippi River. We ate one night at The Port and Rita, our waitress that night, helped us make our delicious dinner choices. Bill, the bartender at Jimmy's pub, topped off the night with caramel apple martinis. The "Self-Guided Walking Tour" of the hotel was delightful and the shops there were very tempting. We felt pampered and refreshed after our stay-a great mini vacation.

1 Thank Shelly W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Minnesota
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I chose this historic place to surprise my wife on our 19th anniversary, making a reservation two and a half months in advance. I reserved The Boardroom on the main street side of the hotel and the Victorian Package which included coupons of $80 for the award winning Port Restaurant on basement level, $15 for Jimmy's Pub on the 5th floor and $20 for The Veranda restaurant on the main floor for breakfast. All in all the cost was $400. You should know that I had been budgeting for some time to do this, and was excited to bring her there. Afterward, I was receiving weekly emails reminding me of specials that any room was just $99 excluding existing reservations. I phoned the night before to confirm everything and spoke with Crystal. She was terrific and I shared that I was bringing some wine for the room and wine glasses. She said that they would have the wine glasses for us in the room with some champagne, so don't bring them. Wow, that would be terrific. We arrived at 3:15 pm, a bit earlier than the 4 pm check in time, and it was ready. The room was spacious with high ceiling and 2 simple chandeliers. It had two armoires, one for hanging clothes with dressers, and another with the flat screen, a desk and four poster bed, and large checkered wood paneled walls. The carpeting needed a seam repaired in the center of the room. The bath was separate with shower and hot tub, large mirror across the counter top and toilet. There was a large hand print above the toilet on the mirror and peeling wall paper. I had to request the wine glasses again as it was forgotten. There were no wine glasses or champagne either, so I re-requested at the front desk for them but didn't mention the champagne as it was not stated to be included anyway. We discovered the coupons that alcohol was not included in the $80 dinner coupon at The Port. I was not informed of that but definitely should have been, and of course we wanted a glass of wine with our dinner at a classy restaurant celebrating our anniversary. We were placed near the fireplace, and dinner was good, but there was only 8 entrees to choose from. With wine and gratuity, the dinner cost another 50% for two. We went to Jimmy's Pub for an after dinner cocktail, and waited 30 min on a Saturday for a table which wasn't too bad, but we made sure to watch because the fastest track shoes win. I have seen other reviews about train noise disturbing guests, but we had no problem and it added to the charm as well. The next morning, there is no coffee in the room, and you have to go down one flight to the lobby to get it. We went to The Veranda restaurant for breakfast and were pleasantly surprised. The helpings were generous, service was good and faster than expected. Overall we had a great time, but the attention to detail just wasn't there and it was frankly overpriced. I probably should have obtained a $99 special for any available room along with another $100 for the Victorian Package to save $200 and I would have had much the same experience. There was no distinction between a reservation guest paying full price or a discounted price but it might be a good move. I still had a fabulous time with my best friend of 19 years despite the oversights.

1 Thank ramMinnesota
santa monica
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband's conference was held at the hotel. This is a beautiful hotel with both an older/classic and a newer section. We stayed in the classic area. The room was standard in size, 2nd floor with a good view of the Mississippi River. The train sound at night did not awaken me. The conference room, dinner and tea arranged were excellent. Staff were very attentive. I saw a wedding photo shoot that was held on the premises and the hotel was very accommodating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
northern minnesota
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was going to stay at the local casino but since it was booked up I looked for the next closest hotel. Thankfully I got a room at the St. James; it was beyond beautiful! Very old world with modern elevators but if you take all the stairways, you will love all the old pictures and treasures on the walls, plus loads of antiques and old pebble walkways. There are wonderful high end stores on the lobby level, Aveda products in the bathrooms, a huge four poster bed that I did not want to get out of, it's endless. Parking ramp attached to the hotel, quite a little maze to the right doors but every nook and cranny had so much story to it. Very very classy and was affordable.

Overgaard, Arizona
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband hunts in Wisconsin and I stay at the St. James. This is my third time at the St. James - always the month of November. I can honestly say it's like visiting a historic home of your best friend. The employees are the same friendly faces, they remember you. The rooms are great and the beds oh so comfy. You can walk all over the downtown area of Red Wing - great shops and some good restaurants. The Veranda at the St. James is perfect for breakfast and lunch (Lyn is my favorite waitress) and Jimmy's Pub has one of the best burgers I've ever eaten! Being by myself for 4-5 days, I want a safe place to stay and this is it! You'll love it here!

Room Tip: #212 the Board Room - absolutely gorgeous! There is a haunted room, in case your interested...check...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We just spent what can only be described as a fabulous weekend at the St. James! One of the first things you notice is the mélange of eras: the quaintness of the original building fused with the modern touches of a spa, up scale shops and excellent restaurants. So, even if weather prevented anything outside, you'd have all you'd need right there! The staff is at the ready to provide everything from creature comforts to a plethora of information about all things Red Wing. Our room had an autumnal view of colored leaf laden trees and the Mississippi Queen, which was parked on the river. Weather would dictate if you needed to drive, but, you can easily walk to Red Wing's many attractions. There was even a farmer's market by the river which offered fresh produce, jams and baked goodies. SO, if you are seeking a get away weekend [or more!], the St. James is the ideal place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed many romantic retreats at the St. James Hotel for over 20 years now, and we always look forward to our get-aways in Red Wing. The 1800's decor and gentle ambiance of this grand old hotel helps us slow down and escape the hurried and sometimes harried world we live in. Each room has its own charm and unique elegance. The city of Red Wing rolls out the red carpet for their residents and visitors during the Christmas season, and the St. James Hotel is the crowning jewel of Red Wing's holiday season. Be sure to take time and visit Jimmy's Pub for a cocktail or nightcap. When we eat breakfast at the Veranda Cafe, its simple charm reminds me of a scene right out of the movie, White Christmas, with the view from the windows overlooking the train station and the Mississippi River.

Room Tip: The rooms on the historic side of the hotel are second to none! The modern rooms that overlook the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nichols Inn Red Wing
Nichols Inn Red Wing
#4 of 9 in Red Wing
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City

Been to St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!