“Love this place! We go back all the time.”
Review of St. James Hotel

St. James Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a great place to stay. Front desk staff is very helpful. Nice fine dining in the quaint brick basement restaurant, relaxing lounge upstairs, and it is well kept overall. I like to see the added touch of Aveda products for toiletries. The older part of the hotel has high ceilings and is very unique. Only drawback is because of the age of the building there are some corridors and hallways, that you are not quite sure where they go once you start them. But you learn your way fairly quickly. I make this hotel a destination.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K M

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Several of us stayed at the St. James last week while we were in Red Wing for a workshop for civic historic preservationists. Of course the St. James was the perfect location, with its exceptional restoration and furnishings. My spacious room with antique furnishings overlooked the historic depot and the Mississippi River. I'm impressed that they have been able to keep so much of the old character while still making everything so accessible and including so many extras in the building, such as the restaurants and shops. Absolutely a class act and worth every penny. What may make the St. James different is that the staff really paid attention to peoples needs, and they clearly cared about the impression they were making. An example is Katie, who was on the front desk both days. She was helpful, friendly and courteous without being too casual, and she makes certain that everyone entering the hotel is greeted in a way that should make management proud. We all would stay there again.

Room Tip: The larger rooms on the fourth floor overlooking the depot are wonderful. The trains were a fun thi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Richard D
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and had a spacious room that worked well for our daughter and her wheelchair. The antiques are beautiful and our room had 2 bay windows giving a great view of the Mississippi River. Train whistle was a delight for our daughter and did not wake us during the night. Staff was very helpful and responsive. Yes there are other hotels in the area, but none with the character and quietness of the St. James. The hallways can be spooky at night but are well lit and spacious. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a room that overlooks the river.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We bought the Victorian Getaway package for our anniversary. We stayed in room 211 which was on the 2nd floor, at the end of the hallway, on the building corner with one side/bedside overlooking Main Street. There was a constant rumble of motorcycles outside the window. Not sure the street noise would be an issue in the winter or if there happened to be something special going on with all the bikers? But our windows were closed the whole time and I found it annoying. We did not hear noise from other guests. History Buffs will love the Hotel as you feel like you are staying in a museum. The halls are filled with interesting displays of art, photos, furniture and even needlework from various periods of the Hotel's long history. One has to remind oneself that there will be compromises for the authenticity of the period. EVERTHING creaked, especially the gorgeous bed and even the floor of the "modern" whirlpool tub. I was woken a few times by my husband getting out of bed, that is how creaky it is! The mattress was comfy and the sheets like BUTTER! I was going to see what they were made out of, but forgot. The sitting area in our room was quite large, but I didn't even try to sit on the furniture. We found a dirty Q-tip on the dresser where the ice bucket and glasses were set up. The bathroom was at the opposite end of the suite, which was nice for privacy. However, the sink faucet sprayed water onto the wood vanity and wallpaper--which I felt a need to protect. There was also a good amount of caked on dust in the scalloped wood backsplash, and toothpaste and hairspray splatter on the wall. The window treatments were in terrible condition. The best thing about staying at the St. James is the food which I will write separate reviews for. If you like gourmet food at a decent price, eat at the Port Restaurant! We booked the date and the location after learning there was a free outdoor concert just a few blocks away. The Rolling River Music Festival is a tremendous event and worth looking in to. Our weather was perfect and true to prior experiences of this area of MN, we did not see a single mosquito! The St. James is also right next to railroad tracks and there was a fair amount of traffic. The whistles are loud enough to startle you if you are eating on the veranda (we did Sunday brunch and lunch). We did not make it to Jimmy's (package includes $15 voucher) but wished we had as our peek into the closed room looked cool and I am sure had amazing views on the 5th floor. We enjoyed the short walk to the river and park with plenty of benches and bench swings. The St. James has darling upscale boutiques, and ice cream/coffee shop with free computer/internet use as well. The other guests were mostly older (55+ couples) with few exceptions. Overall I am glad we went, but I am not sure I would stay again. The meal at the Port was one of the best I have ever had and my Mother says the same of a meal she had there many years ago.

Room Tip: Highest floor to get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SallyandBill07
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stay here for work frequently. The rooms are charming with original details and touches. The toiletries are Aveda and the towels are very nice. You can hear the trains whistle by all night which is pretty neat. 2 of the restaurants & bars (The Jimmy and The Port) both have fantastic staff who remember you - makes you feel like you are in your local neighborhood spots! The early morning coffee in the lobby is a nice touch. One complaint, is that the beds are very soft and hurt my back a bit. I was told the mattresses were all updated about a year ago. So - maybe I am just an extra firm mattress lover! But really overall, a great place to stay, great location and a charming experience.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have stayed at the Saint James several times on trips to my husband's hometown of Red Wing and have never been disappointed.Most recently e brought a group of four couples to explore the Red Wing and Lake Pepin area. All our friends were extremely pleased with the Saint James. It's a good idea to book well in advance for the historic rooms overlooking the river, which is an added treat. The entire hotel is beautifully decorated with period furnishings and the rooms are well-equipped and comfortable. Lunch on the patio of the Veranda is always a delight, and The Jimmy pub is a perfect spot for a nightcap. Over the years, we have been pleased with the professionalism and good humor of the staff. The trains do make some nighttime noise, but having that river and bluff view is worth the inconvenience.

Room Tip: If you love the sites along the river choose one of the premium rooms overlooking the river, but if...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was disappointed with my stay at the St James. I attended a wedding at the hotel and stayed overnight. First I went to the Veredna to have a late lunch while I waited for my room to be ready. From 2-4, the menu was limited to few items, and they were out of one. I order the cheese curds and a beer, when the food was delivered, the waitress did not give me any silverware or napkin. It is very hard to eat cheese curds without a napkin. I had to ask another napkin for the napkin. The registration desk did their job, but without a smile or thank you. The room needs some updating. The carpet was worn and the wood vanity in bathroom was scratched and finish worn off. The TV in room had terrible reception on most channels. At $179 a night, I expected room to be in better shape.
The wedding was beautiful, it is a very nice setting for a wedding, but we waited 45 minutes after the salad was cleared before the entrée was served. On the positive side, the bartenders who worked the wedding were very nice and efficient.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Super 8 Red Wing
Super 8 Red Wing
#7 of 9 in Red Wing
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City

Been to St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!