“Quirky but pleasant”
Review of St. James Hotel

St. James Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel several times over the years and once again have enjoyed ourselves. Located on Red Wing's Main Street and just a block from
the river front, the hotel is in the heart of the town's historic district. Our corner deluxe queen room had 4 windows so was filled with as much light as early spring would allow. Unfortunately, the lovely light fixtures were not capable of producing much additionsl wattage for reading. The room was sparkling clean and well decorated, though it was beginning to show some signs of wear. The bathroom was tiny, with tiny fixtures to match. And the tile showed signs of repaired plumbing problems without replacement of matching tiles. None the less, we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank jsinmn

Reviewed March 8, 2013

It's a small town and not a lot of lodging choices so this is probably the best you are going to get. Certainly not a fabulous hotel. Had a bit of "The Shining" feel to it. Very unfortunate that they had karaoke night in the top floor bar one night. Very, very unfortunate that there were "singers" who clearly thought they could sing, over and over.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a luggage rack so you don't have to put your suitcase on the floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at the St James a number of times.
It is a very Charming Hotel in the middle of downtown Redwing.
The rooms are generous and elegant in their appointment and the extra touches like robes and pillow selection give a very personal feel.
I recommend taking time to tour the halls and stairways to share some of the history of the Hotel and Redwing.
The staff have always been helpful and courteous.
The St James is a must stay if you plan to spend time in minnesota.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I will not stay overnite here but dining and browsing would be wortwhile.Maybe the Main street side mlght temper the train horns.Beautiful stain glass and old world charm and pleasant aromas. Alot of train noise amd unforgiving heater noise constantly kicking on and off waking you each time .

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stay here a few times a year and keep coming back for a few key reasons: we like the individual feel to the rooms and the special extra touches like robes and glass ice buckets that a boutique hotel would have, but the hotel is big enough to offer amenities like on site food & lounge. The rooms has original artwork and interesting wallpaper and furnishings rather than your corporate generic feel most hotels have. We like upscale food without feeling we need to wear uncomfortable dress clothes and sit in a formal dining room, so we like being able to order food in the pub on the top floor. The pub is also upscale with nice furniture and also has antique light fixtures and bar without looking old or dated. I appreciate a bartender that is seasoned and knows how to make classic drinks with more than 2 or 3 ingredients, which they do. I also like the on site shopping without ever having to put my coat on. The breakfast prices were extremely reasonable in the Veranda restaurant. I do wish they has a public Jacuzzi/Whirlpool area as I find that to be a real treat when traveling. It just seems like you are taking a bath if it is in your room.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for a premium room, it will make the experience more enjoyable and is worth the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited over Valentine ’s Day for a business trip to Red Wing and stayed here because it was recommended. I was greeted at the front desk by a pleasant lady (Katie). She ended up being at the front desk every time I walked by and went (in my opinion) above and beyond what I expected during my stay. She not only gave dinner/food recommendations, but also helped take a picture for us (don’t ask – but it gave everyone a laugh), helped make some copies when needed and when they were low staffed on drivers, she grabbed the hotel van and drove us to where we needed to go. While driving to our destination she even gave us some knowledge about local places/buildings/activities.

Walking in, I felt comfortable despite an old/historic feeling. I know some people may not like that, but I did. You can walk through the hotel and see photos of the area's historical times as well as read about them.

The room was quiet and spacious. I requested a room on the side opposite of the train after reading reviews and it was quiet. I could kinda hear the trains roll by if paying attention, but never heard a horn and it never woke me up. There was a handmade quilt on the bed and the furniture was real (old school) wood. There was also a guide on the desk to key features of the hotel and surrounding town. I assume the floors were hardwood floors as I could hear some squeaking as I walking in a couple places. This was nice to me as it made it felt more home-like. And I never heard the floors from other rooms squeaking.

Of course going during the winter, I expected the room to be cold, especially since it was an older building. But from the time I arrived until the time I left, I never felt cold. I also did not hear the heater turn on. So it was either quiet or warm enough from the lower rooms radiating up. The bed was comfortable for me (I am not terribly picky) and there were plenty of blankets.

The bathroom was big and I had no problem with hot water (it got hot quick and lasted). I personally like a bigger shower head with more water, but the water pressure was still fine as it was.

The location for me was good. It was close enough to the business I needed to visit, and it was walking distance from restaurants if you didn’t choose to eat at one of the two places inside the hotel. If you needed to go somewhere they do offer a shuttle service, even to the MSP Airport (for a fee).

My only nit-pick would be the desk. It was kinda small for what I am used to working on and the tv was not near the desk. I like to watch the tv while working sometimes. However, I just ended up working on the bed while watching tv.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would return.

Room Tip: The trains run along the river. Choose a side accordingly (quiet on the land side - trains on the r...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Kluski
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had room 211 along main street. Saturday night street traffic was quiet. To adjust the heat you only have to turn the dial a fraction of an inch at a time.

Staff was excellent, food was prepared by a professional and when charging it to our room, we saw a slight price reduction which was appreciated.

Eagle watching was great from about 1-3:30 p.m. lot were in the trees at Colville park just south of town. Standing in one spot I counted 98.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Super 8 Red Wing
Super 8 Red Wing
#7 of 9 in Red Wing
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City

Been to St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!