“Trains every hour blowing there horn all night long.”
Review of St. James Hotel

St. James Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Red Wing
St Paul
“Trains every hour blowing there horn all night long.”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

All the other reviews that mention trains coming through every hour on the hour don't put enough into there review. Its not the hotels fault but I will never every stay there agin.
I sleep like a rock every night at home, but there is not a train next door. I just spent the Night at the St. James on 4/14/12. And could not stay asleep more then 50-60 min.
Every hour a train comes through town and blow's its horn 3 times. Its loud as @#%&

I asked the girl at the front desk the next morning if they have tried to contact the rail company about the sounding of the train horn after dark. But she said she has no idea but people mention it all the time.

I dont own a hotel or work for the city bord but if I did own this hotel and had any kind of pull with the city of red wing. I would never stop calling the rail yard and asking them not to blow there horn after dark. I would also continue to make a stink with the city/ state/ who ever. I see a lot of reviews here that mention the same problem and some one should make it there goal to see that the train dosnt sound its horn after dark or what ever time they come up with. I live in St Paul near a rail yard and I never have heard a horn after dark.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mark A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My colleagues and I booked a stay at the St. James Hotel in Red Wing, MN for a 3 day/night business trip. Upon arriving to my room the first evening, I noticed a trail of mold/mildew running up the corner of my shower/bathtub, and more mold/mildrew in the grout (see pictures). I thought the room smelled terrible too, but didn't want to complain - "Minnesota Nice" I guess. As I was laying out my business suit for a morning meeting, I noticed that my bedspread was in shambles (see pictures); threads and cotton filling showing everywhere. Night 1: The first night of my stay, several trains rolled by on the tracks outside my window (see picture). Like clock-work, the trains would blast their whistles and wake me with a startle throughout the night. In the morning, I decided to give this room one more night, thinking that the constant train whistles could be an anomaly, but alas, they were not. Night 2: Upon returning from dinner that evening, I was exhausted and turned-in for the night. Again, train whistles blasted all night long. The next morning, with a pounding migraine due sleep deprivation, I prepared to leave my room and found that my door security lock had been loosened completely from the wall (see picture). Very upsetting since the day before it was in good-working-order.

Day 2: After my morning meeting wrapped up at 12:00 p.m., I went to the hotel lobby and asked to be moved to a new, quieter room and showed the lady at the desk the picture of the broken security lock. The hotel lobby attendant advised me that she couldn't give me a different room because the hotel was booked for the following evening. She asked me if I had "ever tried sleeping with ear-plugs in" and told me she would have Maintenance fix my lock. I looked at the mail slots full of keys behind her, waiting for check-in at 4:00 p.m., and asked why she couldn't switch me to a room where someone hadn't yet checked in. She told me it was their "policy" not to move hotel guests as there was no way cleaning staff could vacuum my room and prepare it for a new guest. I advised her that the cleaning staff were currently cleaning the room next door to me and she advised me she would have to check with her manager who was currently at home. I left my cell phone number and waited for a call. At 2:52 p.m., I again called the receptionist and she advised me she would have her manager call me.

At 4:15 p.m. my meeting wrapped up and a new hotel lobby attendant was onsite. She was familiar with my situation, but advised me that the hotel manager had stopped by and made a decision that my room could not be moved. I asked why the hotel manager had not called my cell phone number and she told me "You must have missed the call." I told her I had my cell phone in front of me all afternoon and had not missed a call and she shrugged and started talking to a young Maintenance guy standing nearby. When I asked her if I could speak to her manager, she told me he went home for the day (I later found out this was not true) and I should check back tomorrow. When I asked her if I could cancel my reservation for the evening and book a room somewhere else, she told me they couldn't refund my money without 48-hours advance notice.

The following day (at noon), I was finally able to talk with a manager who was very patient, kind and apologetic for the "perfect storm" of having a full hotel/nowhere else for me to stay to escape the train whistle, a bathroom with mold/mildew, a bedspread in tatters, a broken door security lock, and a front lobby person who refused to refund my money so I could find somewhere else in town to SLEEP on Night 3.

I travel extensively for work and pleasure and this, by far, is the worst experience I have ever had. The only redeeming part of this visit is the GREAT customer service we received each night at Jimmy's Pub on the 5th floor - a relaxed, sophisticated bar/grill with incredible customer service. In fact, this is the only review I have ever written and it truly makes me appreciate the outstanding customer service I have received from other hotels and resorts over the years (which I plan writing about in the very near future).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank LilEValley
stjamesrw, Manager at St. James Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
We are sorry that your stay at the St. James Hotel was unsatisfactory. We make every effort to resolve any and all complaints a guest communicates to us during their stay. We did take your initial complaint – the train noise, very seriously. The front desk did exhaust all possibilities to move you to another room away from the trains. It is very important for you to know, we were unable to move you, not for any arbitrary reason. It was simply not possible. Let me explain:

All rooms were booked for the night of March 27th.
29 of our 62 rooms face the river which is also where the trains run so would be of no help.

Of the 33 rooms not facing the river only 5 were left to check in when you approached the front desk on the last day of your stay. (We guarantee check in by 4pm – we do not make guests wait until 4 pm to check in)

Of these 5 rooms, all were a long term stay.

In a nutshell – Moving you to another room for your last night as requested would have greatly inconvenienced another guest by forcing us to downgrade their room for one night and force a room move during their extended stay. As I am sure you understand, we would not be able to do this.

After your initial disappointment on the room move that afternoon, you brought the damaged door lock to our attention. This was immediately repaired for by our maintenance team. It is important to note this is a secondary door lock as all doors are equipped with a modern dead bolt system. Although we do not know what caused it, we are sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

We were not made aware of problem with the bathroom or the ‘bedspread’ until your stay meeting with a manager. The worn ‘bedspread’ is an antique hand made quilt. These quilts are on a constant rotation of being mended. The quilts are purely an accent to the room as all beds have a modern, functional bedspread in addition to the quilt.

The mildew in the grout of the bathroom is an enigma to us and simply unacceptable. The bathroom should never have passed its inspection. We are very sorry the bathroom was not properly inspected. Steps have been taken within housekeeping to help prevent this in the future.

This was a strange convergence of events and certainly not the norm for us at the St. James Hotel. In a normal situation, a room move request is granted for any reason as was exemplified by us moving one other member of your group (to their satisfaction) on the day of arrival to a room with a firmer mattress – coincidentally they were moved to a room adjacent to yours. At the very least however, you should have been allowed to cancel your remaining night to move to a different hotel. The front desk acted improperly in preventing this.

In summary, we would like to extend you our deepest apology and hope to have the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

St. James Hotel
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I choose Red Wing for our 2 year anniversary get away. The St. James was the obvious choice. The room (Huck Finn) was decent - the bathroom was a little small, but with the whirlpool tub, the size was understandable. For the most part, the hotel was quiet - there are trains, but they seem to add vs being annoying. The staff was friendly and helpful. Jimmy's service and food was good. Overall, it was a lovely stay and I would be happy to visit again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IrassJ
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The hotel is quite interesting! Its like staying in a victorian 1800's hotel. WIth modern updates of course. The room I was in (Dixie) was very spacious and the bed was quite comfortable. There is a train track running on that side of the hotel with a crossing near. So you heard the horns through the night. There is no business center in the hotel.. The staff was accommodating with printing out boarding passes and other travel related material. It was a totally different stay then I am used to while on business. Refreshing and relaxing!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank roaming_gnome05
minneapolis, mn
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Third time I have been here. First, to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday 2 years ago. Unforgettable. Wide , quiet, hallways. Stairways to offer memories made by people decades ago. Decor to invite your imagination, and they keep it to period. Parents 50th wedding anniversary last year. Two rooms, over river, in the fall. The view and the landscape, and trains, and history make you feel as if you've traveled hours to a different state and city. Last weekend, a quick getaway with my husband. Thank you, St. James - if I could change anything, it would be if we could stay there longer. If you are in the cities and want to find a real diamond - go to St. James as fast as you can, before someone changes it.!! Thanks, St. James!

Room Tip: if you've not stayed there, start with a river facing room your first time. Bay windows, you ca...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank amyMinneapolis
St.Paul Mn
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Nice victorian room with all the updates. We got the Romantic package, including champagne, dinner and voucher for Jimmy's bar on the fifth floor. Food was great. The room was very nice...except our neighbors did not abide by the no smoking policy. The staff was eager to please and moved us to another room. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the river have train tracks running parallel to the river so you may have a few tra...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern Minnesota
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We spent a beautiful spring weekend in Red Wing and stayed at the historic St James hotel. It is showing some small signs of normal wear and tear, but is still a,lovely place. The staff was all very nice and helpful, the room was spacious and clean with a comfortable bed. We even got a nice turn-down each evening. We would recommend to anyone for a special stay while in the Red Wing area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Nichols Inn Red Wing
Nichols Inn Red Wing
#5 of 9 in Red Wing
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City

Been to St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!