“Impressive accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Moondance Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Wing
Moondance Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Red Wing B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Impressive accommodations”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a lovingly preserved and beautiful house. The front porch is fabulous. Downtown with its several quaint shops and good restaurants is only a few blocks away, and in nice weather it is a pleasant stroll through a lovely old neighborhood fill with charming homes. If you're a cyclist, the Cannon River Trail ends/starts in Red Wing. It is quite scenic.

Room Tip: Consider eating at one of the restaurants in the historic St. James Hotel downtown.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Waconia, Minnesota
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Moondance Inn for my husband's birthday. We really enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely and very clean. Our host Mike was very congenial, answering our many questions about their house, their Puli dogs, as well as giving us tips on good restaurants, and things to do in Red Wing. Offered garage storage for our bikes, too. Plus, he made a delicious breakfast for us on Sun. a.m. We also enjoyed the wine and cheese set out for us Sat. afternoon. Nice touch! We spent a lot of time on their comfy front porch visiting. The upstairs community room would be a super place for a family reunion, etc. Definitely check out this B&B for a wonderful place to stay in Red Wing!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
cbmmcw2008, Owner at Moondance Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you. It was very nice meeting both of you. We're glad that you stay met your expectations.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were in town for a graduation and wanted something a little more romantic and quiet than your standard hotel. We got everything we could have imagined and more. I have celiac and they were so thoughtful and made certain to have gluten free items for me. Our room was beautiful/romantic and we can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
cbmmcw2008, Owner at Moondance Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
It was a pleasure serving you. Thank you.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed there on a recent weekend trip to Red Wing. Overall the B&B is very nice. We received a tour from a young girl (related to the proprietors), and then she checked us in and showed us to our room. Everything was very comfortable. There was shampoo, conditioner, and soap by the tub and soap in the bathroom. The only drawback was that the Jacuzzi tub in the room was the only place to bathe (No shower in room). However, there was a public bathroom on the first floor, with shower and heated floors that we were welcome to use. My husband and I prefer the private bath, so we just made due with the tub (there is a hand held shower head), but both of us prefer a stand up shower.

Breakfast the next morning was good. Yogurt parfait, muffins, stuffed french toast, ham steak and a pineapple upside down cake for dessert (only on the weekends).

All in all, an enjoyable stay! The owners do have dogs, but they are hypoallergenic. And while they don't live in the house, they are in the main house during breakfast. It didn't bother us, but I could see where it might bother some patrons.

I'd recommend the Moondance Inn!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank albucknam
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place rocks.

If you're going to a B&B for beautiful surroundings (the ceiling lights alone are worth the visit), fabulous hot tubs (that really DO fit 2 people), comfy robes, yummy, yummy breakfast, and uber gracious hosts, you'll love this place.

And during our stay, they even had little bottles of shampoo etc. Good grief.

Room Tip: They're all beautiful. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harrypog
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The house is gorgeous, lovingly and beautifully restored and furnished true to its era. The decor is ornate but not girly or frilly like so many B&Bs that feel like a doily factory exploded in them. Sumptuous and classy.

The owners were welcoming, informative, and helpful but not the kind who try to act like your new best friend. I appreciate that because when I plan a getaway, I have my own plans/agenda, and like to decide for myself when I feel social and with whom.

I did feel a few things could be improved a bit, though. For one thing, the front sidewalk and steps were not well cleared of snow and ice or sanded/salted, and that is dangerous. (There is a back entrance but a newcomer wouldn't know that.) Also, only bar soap is provided--I have never stayed anywhere, not even the cheapest motel, that did not supply shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The room also had a notice forbidding bubbles in the whirlpool tub because it is supposedly bad for the jets. Really?? A bathtub isn't made to withstand bubble bath?? Part of the luxury of a getaway with a big romantic tub is to luxuriate in bubbles.

Breakfast I would call hearty Midwestern comfort food. Tasty and filling but not especially gourmet. There was a wine-and-appetizer gathering in the evening, though, which was a nice touch of extra hospitality, especially with a roaring fire in the fireplace.

Overall, a very lovely and friendly place that could just use a little extra attention to the details to take it to the next level.

• Stayed February 2013
Mooresville, NC
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was traveling with a group of motorcycle friends. This was our first stay at an actual B&B. We were all apprehesive of the unknown. (loud, no privacy, bothering other guests, stuffy owners, etc) Nothing could have been further from the truth. From the moment we pulled in the driveway the owner walked out in the rain to greet us. Normally they don't want you tracking through the house in shoes and I certainly understand why, but he allowed us in to get out of the rain and said not to worry about it. We knew right away we had made an excellent choice.

Hot chocolate and fresh homemade cookies were waiting on us! Perfect after riding in the rain from IA and the fall chill. Gave us a brief history lesson on the Moondance and then showed us all to our rooms. Very well decorated and homey. All had private big baths. I will say, as a man, I do like a shower. If I had to pick anything and I am really searching to even say this, a shower would be nice vs just the big jacuzzi tub. Then again, I doubt they get many bachelors staying. All the others were couples and enjoyed the big jacuzzi tubs. There is a shower downstairs now that I think about it. I forgot.

We all sat out on the front porch having an afternoon cocktail and was joined by the owners. It was like conversing with old friends. What a great night of friendship. It was so enjoyable, we completely missed dinner. The owner suggest a local pizza delivery. We ordered several pizzas and to our surprise the owner had went inside and set the tables for us to go inside and eat. A very nice gesture.

After an excellent nights sleep went downstairs early to grab a cup of coffee and check emails and work on our blog. Was in the big living room, enjoying coffee, the quite, it just doesn't get any better! Breakfast was served right on time and was perfect!

We finally got packed up after lingering as long as we could. We even told the owners we hated to go. The next B&B will have some big shoes to fill! This place is perfect for couples and groups. We rented the whole place except for one bedroom and we met those folks at breakfast. We all laughed like having breakfast with a large family. Will definately stay there again if in the area. I hate it's so far from NC!

Room Tip: I actually had the "Kings" room. Street side, but never heard a thing. Nice big comfy be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends