“Not Smokin' - Lukewarm at Best”

The Smokin Oak Rotisserie & Grill
Ranked #4 of 54 Restaurants in Red Wing
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Not Smokin' - Lukewarm at Best”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This place looked good from the road and the menu was varied and interesting. Food and service were not so hot. Beers came promptly but it was downhill from there. Brisket had a nice smoky flavor but was insanely salty and fatty. After picking at it with knife and fork II left about 30% of the "meat" on the plate, as well as most of the ho-hum french fries. Baked beans were room temperature in a tiny portion. Server did not bring the food; another staff member (who must have seen our order languishing in the window) finally brought it and asked who had ordered what. He also noticed we were going to need silverware. The only giimmer of competent service and we had no idea who this guy was. No water to drink. Our actual server never checked on us once we had begun to eat. My GF wanted another beer so I just let her finish mine. Booth was worn out and uncomfortable; you just sink until your chin practically hits the table. I felt like I was six years old. This place has a lot of potential but our visit was a big disappointment.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank TubaSolo2112

Oronoco, Minnesota
“Good food!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stopped by after a canoe trip with a group of nine people, including kids. The service was good and the food was excellent. We did not have any complaints. A variety of food was ordered, from burgers to the rotisserie chicken. All of it was great! We will be back.

• Visited July 2013
Missouri
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were staying at the Country Inn and Suites and decided to try Smokin' Oak -- a great decision. The burgers were perfect on our first visit. "Mexican Monday" enchilada and chimichanga were excellent, the pineapple/habanero salsa was extraordinary. Next night we tried the pizza and were more than pleased. If you are ever in Red Wing, MN - do not miss Smokin' Oak!!

• Visited June 2013
“Ruined father's day dinner!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I took my husband here for father's day with our children and his family. Long story short... I am a server/bartender as well and it was bad bad bad! Waited forever for drinks not to mention being crammed in a corner with hardly enough room to get in and out of our chairs. Waited even longer for our server to come and take our order. Appetizers took at least a half hour for deep fried boneless wings! With not one visit from the server.... The food then came, all but 2 kids meals. She kept saying they are coming but it was 10 minutes later. So my hungry kids were pretty bothered and I was already highly irritated and no apology from theserserver. Charged us for them and no visit from management or anything! My steak was ordered medium rare.... It came well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Missing items from dinners too.

So I paid $90 for my and my family and we eat there quite often and now I do not think we will go back ever again! Bad service, worse food.

• Visited June 2013
Huxley, Iowa
“Awesome”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were in town overnight & wanted a casual place to eat. This was some of the best prime rib my husband has ever had. My filet was excellent. On our way home, my husband said it was too bad the restaurant wasn't within 50 miles of home because we'd definitely return.

• Visited May 2013